"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 61
Page 61 of 788 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161561 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been thinking about a BOV. I've heard the HKS but haven't heard the others. I wish I could hear ...

I've been thinking about a BOV. I've heard the HKS but haven't heard the others. I wish I could hear them.

I've read 100% and 50/50. Are they like that when you buy them? or are they adjustable? I've read mixed opinions about 100% causing performance problems. Whats the truth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm checking out the GFB stealth BOV because it's infinitely adjustable regarding the amount of air that gets vented back vs vented to the atmosphere. This means you can tune it to the point where your idle is fine but you still get maximum sound! That's what I'm lookin for, so hopefully when I get some $$$ I'll order one.

i have the GFB BOV....
    and ive installed it...
    its pretty simple, just take off the factory BOV and bolt on the GFB one. if u want 100% vent (maximum noise), just put the cap that is provided with the package.
    but if u want 50% vent just connect the recirc. hose (which is a B!TCH to get on) on to the GFB BOV.....

anyone got pictures of the bolts that need to be removed and the hose that needs to be dis-connected for an car-illiterate guy?

Bov

should i wait and put on a bigger turbo before putting on a BOV or could i plop it onto the stock turbo. im new to the wrx so i dont know enought about it (dont own one quite yet). would it even benefit from a BOV stock?

I have a BOV, but most people don't even bother getting one until they mod their cars. Personally I think it helps keep the turbo life cuz the air isn't being smashed against the fans when you let off the acclerator but others don't think it's necessary. I'd suggest getting one, but you probably don't need one, unless you like the noise

"Personally I think it helps keep the turbo life cuz the air isn't being smashed against the fans when you let off the acclerator but others don't think it's necessary."

Scubaroo,

This isn't really the case. The WRX already has a blow-off valve, it just vents air back to the intake instead of to the atmosphere. The stock valve is as a result significantly quieter than an aftermarket 100% venting unit. With intake, the stock valve is even audible outside (People have asked me if I have an aftermarket BOV before). The benefit of venting back to the intake is improved idle. By venting to the atmosphere you should get slightly better response from the turbo between shifts though.

On many turbocharged cars like DSM's, the stock BOV is inadequately suited to handle the needs of increased boost (they can only handle like 15psi or something) so owners of these cars typically replace the BOV as soon as they make any power modifications.

On the WRX, the stock BOV is more than capable of handling something like 20psi so it's really useless from a funcitonality standpoint to get an aftermarket BOV until you're running a new turbo with 20+ psi of boost.

On the other hand, an aftermarket BOV sounds badass, and like you, I'm actually going to get one very soon for that reason!

Get one if you like the sound, don't get one if you don't care about it. That's really all there is to it.

-Michael

I have the HKS SSQV, and I like it a lot. The sound is nice. It's definately not necessary at all. I just like the sound of it
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

blow off value

hey have any of u guys installed a greddy B.O.V.? i have bought it but the dealer says i need to welde a flange 4 it to work?? help

-Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

He said blow off valUe hahahaha typographical errors are funny.

Thanks for the correction, and all this time I thought the sound was doing something . Good to hear that the BOV isn't bad either way though. Thanks a lot for the info Schaf, I appreciate you not flaming me about it too .

i want the sound so i need bov.....but its kinda expensive for sound........

i think i will end up to buy a used one, do you think its a good idea to have a used bov ?

Originally posted by Lord
    i want the sound so i need bov.....but its kinda expensive for sound........

i think i will end up to buy a used one, do you think its a good idea to have a used bov ?
    It shouldn't make difference whether it's used or not. I love mine...get it
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

WRX
    Would it hinder performance if you slapped a few bolt ons, without upping the boost, and putting a BOV on?
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods