"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 6
Page 6 of 789 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106506 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm running the Blitz. It is pretty loud. Loudest one is the Turbo XS RFL BOV....

God
    I'm running the Blitz. It is pretty loud. Loudest one is the Turbo XS RFL BOV.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST ill be running the loudest BOV on the market when i get my WRX. Thank you for the info guys hehe.

I mean hell,, if its a turbo'ed car, i want my opponant to know!! He looks over, you rev, he hears "Psst"... look on HIS face, LOL!

-John

www.clemson.edu/~vvu/bovs
    for a fulll collection of bov sounds/video clips

any problems...???

I have a question here about the blow off valves.... I have a supercharger on my mustang, and when i ran my BOV into the atmosphere, my fuel/air ratio was messed up and it ran rich. i guess it needed the air put back into the inlet because it was already messaured by the Mass airflow sensor. is there a thing like that with turbo blow offs..or doesn't it hurt it to run it out in the atmosphere...?? let me know here...

Blitz BOV on FMI

Was thinking about purchasing a Blitz BOV. Found it at vividracing.com and it is said that it will bolt right up. Anyway if I get this BOV, will it work on my car after I get a front mount intercooler or would I have to buy another adapter for it?

God
    If you weld the flange on the intercooler piping it is bolt on. I offer a free Blitz flange welded onto the Blitz Front Mount.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

bigrich - If the sound is comming from the passenger side, I think it might be the sound of your turbo stalling due to the boost not being vented by your bov. This is bad for the long-term durability the turbo...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Well I use the COOB/APS BOV. Its very well built, and adjustable. Its only a partial vent to atmosphere, so its fairly quiet.

I actually have an extra one, since i had one on my car before getting COBB's stage 1 upgrade, and another one came with the upgrade, so if youre interested in getting a brand new one for less than the going price, email me.

Speed safely,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com

Blitz BOV

pop quiz:
    when is a good time to put it in (or, in other words, what other mods should be done to maximize its use)?

the BOV can go in at anytime. it really adds no performance whatsoever, it's just a sound based mod like a muffler. so there is nothing really to maximize, unless of course you put in a new turbo, then you'll hear it scream a lot more when releasing boost from the manifold.

other mods will not really affect a BOV's performance charactersistics. i've heard that removing the intake silencer does increase the sound of the BOV though. is that what you mean?

dR

hey dR,
    thanks for the tip re: BOV.
    "unless of course you put in a new turbo" --have you? if so, let me know your thoughts.

re: removal of the intake silencer, am wondering if doing that, or getting the Blitz SUS intake, is a better idea. thoughts?

oh, and last thing: what is boost control? am new to the world of auto-tech, so bear w/ me...

if you are in boston, i might be able to explain boost control over the phone better. give me a call. i'll pm you my number.

as far as a new turbo, i told myself when i bought the car that i would only mod the car up to the point before replacing the stock turbo and intercooler. so basically, i'll never break 250 (or a little more) hp at the crank. it is my daily driver, so unless i strike it rich and get another car to drive while i spend all my duckets on the rex, i'm not too interested in creating a street monster that won't be enjoyable to drive on the more mundane uses.

putting in a new turbo would only be necessary if you are planning on really spending a good amount of money modding your car. some people buy the rex to drive stock for it's whole life, some have a small budget with conservative gains in mind, others (read: God and nmyeti) are more interested in creating an aspahlt eating mother that will gobble the average ferrari for lunch.

intake, i've heard that the gains with a CAI (cold air intake) are very close to that of a high performance filter (K&N) if youare planning on upgrading turbo, a CAI will prolly yield better results. on the stock system, there has been much dispute. removing the resonator or chopping off the bottom of it, will increase flow a bit, and maybe even gather cooler air (from the fender wall) but your "butt dyno" prolly won't even notice the difference. your ears on the other hand, will. the blow off valve and intake will be much louder. some people say that passengers in their car ask if something is broken b/c of the sound. i am all for cheap performance mods and DIY stuff, but that's just not for me. run some searches, and you'll find gobbs of info on this (and ALL the other questions you asked actually)

boost control.... give me a ring, it will be easier to assess what you know, and what i should tell you.

dR

What does a Blow off valve do?

What does a blow off valve do and does it shorten the engine life?

Prepare for the wrath of the search Nazis. But I'll be nice.

A blow-off valve(BOV) receives a vaccum signal from the manifold and opens when the throttle body is closed between shifts/let off the gas etc. When the valve opens, all that compressed air between the turbo and intake manifold gets released either into the atmosphere or dumped back into the intake stream in front of the turbo(stock setup).

The reason it's there is to prevent all the pressurized intake air from bouncing off the throttle plate and back into the compressor wheel, slowing down the wheel and stressing the shaft. It also helps spool when you open the throttle again and start building boost.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

what phast said.

basically it is one of the two pressure release mechanisms on your engine to allow boost pressure to escape whenthe system is at the maximum boost pressure. the wastegate is the other mechanism.

no search nazi's

dR