"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 595
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; check http://www.scoobymods.com/ for the write up. I think most end up just getting a full recirc. BOV anymore if needed. ...

Banned
    check http://www.scoobymods.com/ for the write up. I think most end up just getting a full recirc. BOV anymore if needed. The stocker is good, uncrushed, up to and over 20 PSI, tho.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce K 2K2 WRX View Post
    I have a 2002 WRX Wagon. Has anyone had any luck with crushing the stock BOV to get it to hold boost better?

In DSM-Land (Talon-Eclipse-Laser) that is a popular mod.

Any write-ups on this for Sub?

Thanks.

--Bruce K.
    Isn't the point of the stock BPV not to hold boost? It realeses pressure from the intake manifold. If you wan't more boost get all the supporting mods that go with it and crank that ***** up.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Isn't the point of the stock BPV not to hold boost? It realeses pressure from the intake manifold. If you wan't more boost get all the supporting mods that go with it and crank that ***** up.

All BPVs/BOVs (stock and aftermarket) HOLD the boost until it NEEDS to be released (such as when load is taken off the engine to shift), and in essence, BLOWN OFF...

The mashing of the stock BPV is a little performance trick, but it isn't necessary at all because the stocker does hold upwards of 20+ psi. We will not be seeing that increase in PSI until you do a turbo upgrade. I'm at Stage 2 on my STI and see a max of 19.5psi.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    What do you mean buy chrushing... Generaly any mods like this are bad and actualy hinder the performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    The point of crushing the BOV is increasing the pressure at which the valve is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    check http://www.scoobymods.com/ for the write up. I think most end up just getting a full recirc. BOV anymore if needed. The stocker is good, uncrushed, up to and over 20 PSI, tho.
    My thoughts also. One reason it's not as popular to do on Imprezas as on Mitsubishi early 4G63 motors is that the Mitsu turbos used in the Subarus are smaller than the turbos fitted to Mitsu's own cars. The 14B can generate more flow than the 13 series we use in the WRX, and the stock valve in the WRX is sufficient for the turbo fitted even with increased boost usually.

If you insist on doing it (for no apparent reason) there are a couple options, but keep in mind they are not reversible. One is to do it the conventional way, by removing the valve and using a flat surface vise slowly, the refitting the valve and doing trial and error repeatedly. If you are lucky, rich, or have a large BOV collection plus a block of wood and a hammer, well, I'll let you do the math... But I'd be really careful and not opt for the hammer route.

Or, you can remove the valve and block the small hole on the surface that mounts to the IC -- not the big hole. Weld it or something. Seal it well. Then look at the other hole's routing through the body of the valve, and drill into it (use a 3 mm or so drill) to vent the *opposite* side to atmosphere.

Or, don't do any of this and forget the whole deal. Probably the wisest choice. If you don't follow what I'm saying, don't try it. If you are reluctant to try this, you're right, don't. If there's any doubt, there is no doubt -- don't do this.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

greddy type rs bov : (

just installed it yesterday...what a disppointment : ( doesn't sound like it did on other people's cars..got it professionally installed too : (

better hope you dont start running rich

use the search - take the bov off until you plan on converting to MAP
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    use the search - take the bov off until you plan on converting to MAP
    yada yada yada

You really had a BOV professionally installed? It takes no more than 5 minutes to do yourself.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    yada yada yada

You really had a BOV professionally installed? It takes no more than 5 minutes to do yourself.

5 mins eh?

Lets see a DIY thread. I have the Greddy RS too just sitting here on my desk. (I=teh lazy )

Quote Originally Posted by Subie do View Post
    5 mins eh?

Lets see a DIY thread. I have the Greddy RS too just sitting here on my desk. (I=teh lazy )

take it off your desk and put it in the recycle bin!!!

DUB
    Its been 1hr 20mins already and this isn't in the Big BOV thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by armysti View Post
    take it off your desk and put it in the recycle bin!!!

but it's so shiny. . . .

5 mins eh?

well i did put it in myself the regular way...but i didn't put the recirculating pipe on....so my buddy at the shop put it in for me

but it's so shiny. . . .
    it is really shiny!

Bov???

im planning on buying a blitz exhaust for my 02 wrx. would it be a good investment to buy a blitz bov? does anyone have any experience with the blitz bov? or maybe a different kind? i dont have any experience with this so i dont kno my stuff
    help would be nice thnks
    Every time chrome rims are put on a subaru a kitten is killed. do you want to be responsible for the death of a kitten?....do you?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.