"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 578

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by BLKSTI05 Why are BOV bad? I'm not sure, there may be a thread about it somewhere though....

  1. #8656
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,923
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKSTI05 View Post
    Why are BOV bad?
    I'm not sure, there may be a thread about it somewhere though.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #8657
    Registered User WRXforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wiscompton
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I'm not sure, there may be a thread about it somewhere though.
    Yeah, you never know.. it might be hiding... like.. right out in the open... somewhere.
    AP Stage 2- 2006 WRX TR (WRB)

    Other cars:

    1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

  4. #8658
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25
    a bov is good because it releases the extra boost faster then a waste gate basically its all at wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve
    or at least thats how i understand it

  5. #8659
    Registered User WRXforME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wiscompton
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKSTI05 View Post
    a bov is good because it releases the extra boost faster then a waste gate basically its all at wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve
    or at least thats how i understand it

    MAF setup as well? I would read some more =)
    AP Stage 2- 2006 WRX TR (WRB)

    Other cars:

    1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

  6. #8660
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,951
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKSTI05 View Post
    a bov is good because it releases the extra boost faster then a waste gate basically its all at wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve
    or at least thats how i understand it
    You have much to learn, young padawan.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  7. #8661
    Administrator TheJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bro do you even live in the Dirty South
    Posts
    17,916
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You have much to learn, young padawan.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:


    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

  8. #8662
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,770
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I'm not sure, there may be a thread about it somewhere though.
    I hate when Ray merges other threads to this one...it confuses the hell outta everyone

    ...but it certainly makes for some good flaming
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  9. #8663
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,770
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKSTI05 View Post
    a bov is good because it releases the extra boost faster then a waste gate basically its all at wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve
    or at least thats how i understand it
    BOV and wastegate are two completely different things...

    BOV/BPV releases built up pressure when off the throttle/shifting. A wastegate however is a means to regulate boost from the turbo, by releasing excess boost or raising boost pressure...for short anyway...

    That link is actually very good information in Lehmann's terms for what a BOV is and does AND why they aren't necessarily good...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  10. #8664
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,951
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I hate when Ray merges other threads to this one...it confuses the hell outta everyone

    ...but it certainly makes for some good flaming
    Hey now, you can't blame me for EVERYTHING.

    TR actually does a lot more of the BOV merges than I do...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  11. #8665
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,591
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't listen to him. It was all Ray.

  12. #8666
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,951
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Don't listen to him. It was all Ray.


    Actually, your avatar seems appropriate when you say things like that.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  13. #8667
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,770
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post


    Actually, your avatar seems appropriate when you say things like that.


    Zip it
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  14. #8668
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,951
    I Support ClubWRX
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  15. #8669
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,628
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKSTI05 View Post
    a bov is good because it releases the extra boost faster then a waste gate basically its all at wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve
    or at least thats how i understand it
    Thanks! I wasn't going to get one, but now it sounds like I should get a BOV. I can't stand the "pshhhhh" sound, but BLKSTI05 makes it sound like I really need one. Can you recommend one that's really good for my car? Like the SSQ or the RFL?
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  16. #8670
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,628
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post


    Actually, your avatar seems appropriate when you say things like that.


    That convo made my evening
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •