"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 557

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by psychoman324 I am under the impression that a bov on a sock WRX turbo is harmless but ...

Quote Originally Posted by psychoman324 View Post
    I am under the impression that a bov on a sock WRX turbo is harmless but my friend keeps telling me it shortens the life of the turbo if you put a bov on a turbo with stock boost. Can anyone tell me which one of us is correct?
    It is harmful. It will cause you to run rich between shifts and cause cylinder wash, which is detremental to your pistons. Basically, BOV's suck for Subarus.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    because thats what you do on most other cars to increase the life of the turbo but not on subies
    I gotta disagree with you there, though not on the owners intent. But the thing is that a BPV and BOV both alleviate the same problem. Personally I think people buy BOV's for the noise primarily.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I gotta disagree with you there, though not on the owners intent. But the thing is that a BPV and BOV both alleviate the same problem. Personally I think people buy BOV's for the noise primarily.
    Hit the nail on the head. They buy it as a show off valve, not a BPV.

Personally I use an air horn myself to get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    99.9% of the time for noise. Hey look at me psssht. I cant really blame them because when i first got my car i wanted one . I came from a jeep so a turbo boxer was something i wanted to show off lol.
    CGM

If i want attention i just start yelling at people on the side of the road. Bums mostly.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

BOV's suck for Subarus.
    +1, unless you have an after market turbo.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

The stock recirc can handle different turbos, just not excess boost.
    BOVs become somewhat necessary when the highest boost the stock can hold is exceeded, which from what i hear is around 18psi.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpAKAknox View Post
    The stock recirc can handle different turbos, just not excess boost.
    BOVs become somewhat necessary when the highest boost the stock can hold is exceeded, which from what i hear is around 18psi.
    They make aftermarket recirc's.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    +1, unless you have an after market turbo.
    The stock BPV worked just fine with my VF34.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Forge BOV problems help

So while back i purchased the Forge BOV (used), it worked nice at first, but after time, its stopped poping after a high rev. (didnt make the psh sound).

So i decide to mess around w/ the spring inside. I cut it, making it softer thinking that might work, and well i was wrong. I reinstalled my stock bov, and ordered springs from Forge Motorsports. Got all the springs within a few days.

Now i noticed that the springs are WAY bigger then the one i had inside. That was the first problem. But then i realized, the BOV is made of 3 pieces, top piece, then there's a middle piece that pops out and flips around, and then another piece that closes it off. So the middle part, i flipped it around and BAM, then NEw BIG spring now fits perfectly, BUT now i've went thru 3 springs, tried both ways, and car runs perfectly fine, BUT the bov doesnt POP at all!..

Any ideas what this might be? Or why its not poping after a high rev?

If you need pictures to show you what im diong i can post.

I would leave the stock one on. If the valve was not opening or 'popping' as you call it your car would have horrible compression surge between shifts. So it seems like it is opening and releasing air.

Have someone rev the car and see how the valve responds. If it opens quickly and closes relatively slowly then you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck with that.

BTW, everyone is allowed one '0mg my b0v is t3h b0rked' thread. Any subsequent thread is subject to ridicule.
    Last edited by Wrx BriT; 03-23-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Have someone rev the car and see how the valve responds. If it opens quickly and closes relatively slowly then you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck with that.

BTW, everyone is allowed one '0mg my b0v is t3h b0rked' thread. Any thread after that is subject to ridicule.[/QUOTE]

lol

What you mean, check how the valve responds? What valve? Sorry im nub.

another thing i noticed, the stock bov, if you try to press that thing in with your finger, where the air comes thru on the bottom, it is soooooooo hard, and on the forge bov with the 5-15psi spring is so light..

isnt it spose to be really hard like the stock one? ;/
    sorry for the dumb questions, just tryiing to see why this aint workin like it use to or like it should

If it is a blow off valve then you will see a valve that opens and closes when boost is released. It is inside the BOV but is usually visible. Maybe someone else can post a pick or something.

You may have the forge bypass valve which will direct air back into the intake track. In this case you will not see a valve because the valve is inside the unit.

'The above response probaly made no sense, sorry'

Sn
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Quote Originally Posted by ezzzey View Post
    another thing i noticed, the stock bov, if you try to press that thing in with your finger, where the air comes thru on the bottom, it is soooooooo hard, and on the forge bov with the 5-15psi spring is so light..

isnt it spose to be really hard like the stock one? ;/
    sorry for the dumb questions, just tryiing to see why this aint workin like it use to or like it should
    After reading this I am fairly certain you have a bypass valve not a blow off valve. I just went into the garage and tried to push the piston on my stock bpv and yeah it is hard. I also pressed the piston in the forge BPV and it was indeed very easy to push. Thats not a problem.

I don't know what spring I was using in the forge but I know I have a red and a greenish yellow one left over so I assume I was using the blue. The blue spring worked fine on my STi and made a distinct ping sound with every shift. If your valve is not opening all the way because of a tight spring or lack of lubrication then you probably wouldn't hear that ping sound because the valve is not being pushed up as far as it once did. You are probably using the wrong spring or something is binding inside the valve itself.

Sn
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013