"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 525

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know everyone hates bov questions on this forum, I've seen them all. But I just went stage 4 with ...

What BOV is this???...Please Help

I know everyone hates bov questions on this forum, I've seen them all. But I just went stage 4 with a 20g and I kinda need a new BOV pushing 20+ PSI. Just got off the dyno and made 270awhp on a mustang dyno. Not bad at all. Anyways check out this video, this is the only BOV i've ever heard that I like. Can anyone tell me what it is? I love how it flutters down low kinda, then makes a nice WOOOSH up top with full boost.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...7200ee1b96.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...7200ef68e8.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well Im not sure as to why you need one, Im running 21.5psi and my stocker holds fine. Im jsut not a fan of them, Ive had one and the sound got way to annoying.

What is your setup? Do you need a BOV or BPV that will bolt up to the car like the stock one or something different?

If you need a stock flange type valve go with Forge. Theyh make either a recirc or blow off type valve and is great quality for a good price. If you want a BOV, though, Tial is the way to go. Requires welding but cant go wrong and if Im not mistaken thats the one in the video.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

sounds like the hks ssqv to me

Both of you are wrong.

Thats a sound from the turbo charger itself, not any BOV. Although he might have a BOV thats not what you're thinking of.

Its called Compressor Surge, and its not a good sound. But it does sound tight.

+1 on the compressor surge, i just got my fp 18g installed and tuned, i get that fluter sound all the time with the stock bov. i love the sound but i have a little studer in the motor when it happends, and i dont like that. hopefully getting i fixed soon.

lets address the real problem here. hes stage 4 with a 20g and is only making 270 hp. and what exactly do you mean by "mustang dyno", do you mean its only a 2wd dyno? cause you know we have AWD right?
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch
    Turboback Exhaust + Up-Pipe
    Stage 2 Ecu Reflash @ 18 psi

Quote Originally Posted by LilJohn View Post
    lets address the real problem here. hes stage 4 with a 20g and is only making 270 hp. and what exactly do you mean by "mustang dyno", do you mean its only a 2wd dyno? cause you know we have AWD right?
    opps i just read my own post and realized my sarcasm came off a little rude sorry
    Pics of my STi
    2004 WRX STi (WR Blue)
    Organic Racing Clutch
    Turboback Exhaust + Up-Pipe
    Stage 2 Ecu Reflash @ 18 psi

Mustang is the type of dyno that is used and typically reads lower than a Dynojet and the newer Dyno Dynamics.

As for the sound, Ive never heard compressor surge so no I know, I just thought it was a flutter type BOV.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

it is indeed compressor surge caused by the aftermarket bov. good thing it's only present at low boost, or his turbo would be in for a world of hurt..
    I want my subie back.

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Thats defiently wastegate flutter not compressor surge, hes got some sort of bov too.

HKS or TurboSmart
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by project_skyline View Post
    Thats defiently wastegate flutter not compressor surge, hes got some sort of bov too.
    What exactly is it about wastegate flutter that causes this sound? I'd bet with the wastegate welded shut it would still be producing that sound.

how to mount sard bov on 04sti

any help where to get mounting bracket or place that could make one

Welcome to the board, but...

Have you done a search? Probably not since your first post is about a BOV. You should check the stickies and some relevant posts to see why a BOV doesn't work well with a Subaru. The search function is your friend.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Blast from the past on my part...I havent posted in, like, a year.

Anyway, it may be the stock BOV, and probably is. If you run an open-element filter where the airbox used to be, thats pretty much exactly how it sounds.