"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 524

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by afbluesv1k So I have seen it time and time again on the Forum when someone says "what ...

Quote Originally Posted by afbluesv1k View Post
    So I have seen it time and time again on the Forum when someone says "what BOV do I get" and everyone yells that they shouldnt do it. I have also seen when someone that has a BOV goes and says, you guys are pansies and ends up getting butt raped prison style by everyone. What I have to say is based on experience, and also by fact because I just tested it:

You guys can yell and scream about it after, but I am going to make a comparison, about 100% recirculation Bypass Valve, and 100% atmosphere Blow Off Valve. Dual stage ones that can go 50/50 I will not comment on because there is such a variation of how they work, and they are more of a compromise in sound and design. So let me write it as a script.

BOV: Fact is, with a direct vent to atmosphere it will release pressure faster becuase there is no restriction. Yes of course you do create an audible sound.

BPV: I cannot vent pressure as fast as a BOV because I have to send air back to intake tube, but there is a reason I do it. When I open, I create a loop around the inlet and outlet of the turbo, so when shifting, the air can freewheel through in a circle and let me run in neutral. Its not much, but the MAF sensor doesnt sense any more air ingestion, and doesnt compensate and run rich for a second and make the car jerk.

BOV: But wait dude, I make a PSSSSSHHHH!!!!

BPV: I know you are all about that bling bling, but I was designed for a reason. Oh and here is something I bet you didnt know. When you step on the gas at idle or at no/low boost I actually open, and let air flow through me backwards!!!! Now not to say anything nasty about me, Yes I do take it both ways.

AFblueSV1k: See folks I actually did a quick test, in my garage with my STOCK BPV and a Mighty Vac brake bleeder. Putting anything more than 10 in.Hg on the vacum line, overrides the spring pressure, so valve is sitting neutral, not open nor closed, and can be pushed. So that means if the past of least resistance is in the intake through the bypass line, into the intercooler, and into the manifold. So at times the your car will run naturally aspirated and bypass the turbo completely untill the turbo picks up and can take over at 0 psi, because WOT in a Naturally aspirated car is 0psi/0in.Hg. At these times, the turbo is actually a resistance in the induction system, so it was designed to be bypassed and increase no/low boost throttle response. This would explain how some get compressor surge and reduce throttle response with BOV.

Final verdict: The BPV is better for a reason, sorry it doesnt make the Pssshhhhhh!!!!!! for some of you, but it does actually run better on the car. So now go and complain to the Subaru engineers that designed the WRX that aftermarket BOVs dont work on your car and they shouldnt have spent so much time desgining the best car that they could for you.
    +1

Awesome post.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    +1

Awesome post.
    +1

That was great!! It's still upsetting that this question keeps popping up though. I don't think that the search button is there for it's look. Of course, on the other hand, without this question's appearence every now and then, where would we release our pent up flammage? (i think i just made up a really stupid word).
    2003 PSM WRX Stage 2
    2004 PSM WRX Transformer: Silverstreak
    2004 WRC STI Transformer: Smokescreen

So I collect toys...what of it...

definatly

Quote Originally Posted by Subie do View Post
    ^^^
    +1.

All it does is attract attention.

Stocker works just fine.

+20

plus you don't want the attract the attention of the damn po po

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyMyth View Post
    +20

plus you don't want the attract the attention of the damn po po

That post (the long one by AFblueSV1k) made this thread sticky worthy. Ill just add one more link to put the final nail in the BOV coffin:

http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm

Read it and weep, BOV lovers!

Edit: Credit to wrong poster!
    Last edited by Aerophyre; 11-30-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: golly gosh no respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Aerophyre View Post
    That post (the long one by AFblueSV1k) made this thread sticky worthy. Ill just add one more link to put the final nail in the BOV coffin:

Guys thanks for the credit, I decided to just take a quick look into my engine bay and see why the turbo system was designed, and used my engineering background to understand why it works like it does, But that spdusa.com link, puts it all right there for you.

I dont want to revive this thread, but this one got ugly last time someone said BOVs are fine on the car.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153666

Quote Originally Posted by Aerophyre View Post

+1
    the info by AFblueSV1k is definalty sticky worthy. plus I've always hated the atmosphere bovs, cause they really are pointless. and there's a lot of really sweet recirulating bovs that sounds amazing inside the car. idk about anyone else but i'd rather be in the car than outside the car

Now also in support of this theory, I am sure the WRX would take just fine to many of the recirculating valves on the market. If you really wanted some more sound, you could consider changing to an aluminum recirculation tube.

I just feel bad for all the ricers that wanted to have a turbo car and make that Pssshhh!!!! but the WRX is a little more sophisticated than that, and they should go back to trying to pack a big azz turbo in their 1.6L CRX.

It depends. Most stock turbo vehicles have issues with them due to the MAF going crazy cause the quick loss of air. Pretty much like un-plugging your MAF, it'll stall out your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by afbluesv1k View Post
    Now also in support of this theory, I am sure the WRX would take just fine to many of the recirculating valves on the market. If you really wanted some more sound, you could consider changing to an aluminum recirculation tube.

I just feel bad for all the ricers that wanted to have a turbo car and make that Pssshhh!!!! but the WRX is a little more sophisticated than that, and they should go back to trying to pack a big azz turbo in their 1.6L CRX.
    I guess i'm one of the few who kinda likes that sound. Oh well...not that I have one or ever will. Waste of freakin money IMO, but it does sound pretty cool. Depends on the BOV that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza WRX View Post
    I guess i'm one of the few who kinda likes that sound. Oh well...not that I have one or ever will. Waste of freakin money IMO, but it does sound pretty cool. Depends on the BOV that is.
    It's a sweet sound, no doubt but it's just not functional. You could always get a 50/50 bov, so you get a little of both worlds without having to give up the advantage and funtionality of a recirculating bov.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza WRX View Post
    I was a long journey myself, I do also think it is a nice and unique sound, I guess its just biting the bullet, that our car really isnt designed to work with them, yet so many people try so hard to work it out to try to make it work and it never really does. It really comes down to human psychology, that people wont take no for an answer, until they do it, and say, "you know what it doesnt work right". I had to prove it to myself a few months ago, back to the stocker and glad I did.

I Support ClubWRX
    Moving to Engine Performance.

(I am a little slow in doing so).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I don't know what it is with people and BOVs. When I was getting my first wrx, all my buddies would be like, you should get "an intake and a bov", and these people aren't ricers, in fact their generally not car people, many of them drive suvs and non-performance based sedans....but for some reason, The bov has become this hollywood (i use that term not literally) type device, when I try to explain it to them, I'll keep there attention for like two and a half seconds and then they'll just change the subject and never get educated. Why is this? Factually it can hurt performance, and Personally, I don't think the sound is that cool, its not a natural car thing, its doesn't make the engine have a deep rumble or the exhaust rumble, it creates a funny wooshing sound, I like my turbo the way it is. just my .02

stock bov for my wrx for life.
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

Lightbulb

IMO, if it doesn't hurt the performance and it works, why change it. I know there are some bov that help your performance but IMO there are much better ways to use that money to get better results for any turbo.

Welcome, interesting first post, being that it inspires rage into the otherwise loving subaru community, do yourself a favor and by an access port and down pipe and never mention a B.O.V. again.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)