"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 523
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by eastsideSTI wut what...

Quote Originally Posted by eastsideSTI View Post
    wut
    what
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The ricer in me finally took over and I bought the gfb stealth BOV for my 06 STi. It suppost to be one of the better ones on the market and it sound great. It helps me shift better because the revs drop a lot faster.

Now for the negatives...

My car is more jerky when I let off the throttle under boost and I get compression surge at low boost and low RPM's. So basically its killing my turbo.

I would suggest just getting a SPT intake and call it a day.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Quote Originally Posted by danscoobywagon View Post
    the hose leads back into the turbo inlet pipe. you can follow the hose with your eyes. look at the bov and follow it to the left and you will see it enters a black hose right in front of the turbo.

as for diameter i am not sure how big it is.
    how can he follow it with his eyes if its not there? lol just a little humor.

lol reading > me

don't get a BOV. it is just that simple. nuf said.
    proud owner of a 2004 Subaru WRX STI, silver on silver (pics should be taken when i get home on dec 8)

Toyota Celica GT-S (my baby who got run over by a drunk driver)

Quote Originally Posted by eastsideSTI View Post
    i just got my 07 sti last week looking for some mods for it any suggestions?? want to get a bov first dont know wut kind to get
    Where in Mass are you from?
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

get the pink one.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Stock bpv

Well, after learning what I have about these cars I have decided that I really need to get the stock bpv back on the car. Does anybody have their stocker for an 02 that they are willing to part with? If not, does anybody know where I can pick one up without breaking the bank at the dealer?

04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    Well, after learning what I have about these cars I have decided that I really need to get the stock bpv back on the car. Does anybody have their stocker for an 02 that they are willing to part with? If not, does anybody know where I can pick one up without breaking the bank at the dealer?
    there are stock BPVs all over. im positive u can find some in the "For Sale" section of this forum, or any other subaru forum. u can even put up a post "WTB" (want to buy) a stock BPV for an 02+ WRX. they are not hard to find at all.

Vag-eye Militia #1
    Military Militia #3

^^^^^^^^^^

I died and went to heaven!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jje121 View Post
    Where in Mass are you from?
    You know where to send him hahahha! NEF4!

Dont get a BOV. The stocker is good to approx 20psi. I am running 19psi on a custom tune, turbo upgrade, etc etc w/ stock Bov.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

HKS SSQV is probably the best one to get. I have been running mine for 20K miles and haven't had a single problem. check my mods in my profile.

-Cramer
    BUGEYE MAFIA #20

So I have seen it time and time again on the Forum when someone says "what BOV do I get" and everyone yells that they shouldnt do it. I have also seen when someone that has a BOV goes and says, you guys are pansies and ends up getting butt raped prison style by everyone. What I have to say is based on experience, and also by fact because I just tested it:

You guys can yell and scream about it after, but I am going to make a comparison, about 100% recirculation Bypass Valve, and 100% atmosphere Blow Off Valve. Dual stage ones that can go 50/50 I will not comment on because there is such a variation of how they work, and they are more of a compromise in sound and design. So let me write it as a script.

BOV: Fact is, with a direct vent to atmosphere it will release pressure faster becuase there is no restriction. Yes of course you do create an audible sound.

BPV: I cannot vent pressure as fast as a BOV because I have to send air back to intake tube, but there is a reason I do it. When I open, I create a loop around the inlet and outlet of the turbo, so when shifting, the air can freewheel through in a circle and let me run in neutral. Its not much, but the MAF sensor doesnt sense any more air ingestion, and doesnt compensate and run rich for a second and make the car jerk.

BOV: But wait dude, I make a PSSSSSHHHH!!!!

BPV: I know you are all about that bling bling, but I was designed for a reason. Oh and here is something I bet you didnt know. When you step on the gas at idle or at no/low boost I actually open, and let air flow through me backwards!!!! Now not to say anything nasty about me, Yes I do take it both ways.

AFblueSV1k: See folks I actually did a quick test, in my garage with my STOCK BPV and a Mighty Vac brake bleeder. Putting anything more than 10 in.Hg on the vacum line, overrides the spring pressure, so valve is sitting neutral, not open nor closed, and can be pushed. So that means if the past of least resistance is in the intake through the bypass line, into the intercooler, and into the manifold. So at times the your car will run naturally aspirated and bypass the turbo completely untill the turbo picks up and can take over at 0 psi, because WOT in a Naturally aspirated car is 0psi/0in.Hg. At these times, the turbo is actually a resistance in the induction system, so it was designed to be bypassed and increase no/low boost throttle response. This would explain how some get compressor surge and reduce throttle response with BOV.

Final verdict: The BPV is better for a reason, sorry it doesnt make the Pssshhhhhh!!!!!! for some of you, but it does actually run better on the car. So now go and complain to the Subaru engineers that designed the WRX that aftermarket BOVs dont work on your car and they shouldnt have spent so much time desgining the best car that they could for you.
    Last edited by afbluesv1k; 11-30-2006 at 12:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.