"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 521
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Forge and Perrin also make some nice %100 recerculating divertor valves....

I Support ClubWRX
    Forge and Perrin also make some nice %100 recerculating divertor valves.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Aerophyre View Post
    Thank you Captain Obvious.

No seriously, Im glad you warned us all about the dangers of BOV's, since this exact subject doesnt come up EVERY SINGLE DAY in this forum, and we all have no clue how horrible they really are..... we owe you a world of thanks.

thanks for being an a-hole. i-club here i come.
    13.3 @103mph 03 wrx blue

if i recirculate with a greddy bov, will it give off any noise?

Quote Originally Posted by sti xtc View Post
    if i recirculate with a greddy bov, will it give off any noise?
    no
    why would it
    I want my subie back.

BOV dilemma

What's up all... I recently picked up an 02 wrx sedan with some upgrades. I am not really sure what the previous owner has done to it because I bought it from a dealer. From what I can tell it only has a few performance upgrades including a TXS bov and a Blitz nur spec cat-back. I am pretty sure that it has some kind of suspension kit because it looks like it sits a little lower than stock (although it does have RSL 18" elites) .

The main question I have for you guys is; is the bov worth keeping or does it do more harm than good? I like the sound, but if it really is hurting the engine then I will just go back to stock for now. I have read through the stickys in the forum, but I would like some opinions on the subject. Please don't bash too hard, it's an honest question.

By the way, I will post pics asap.

Thanks

Most people on here will tell you that you should go back to the stock bypass valve. If you like the sound of the blow off valve, i would suggest you remove the intake silencer when you re-install the stock bpv. This makes the stock bypass valve more audible. If you search, you will find instructions on how to do remove the intake silencer.

why is it that every noob seems to miss the sticky that covers this exact topic, and many more??

lose the bov
    I want my subie back.

i have a bov on my car for about 19,000+ miles and i dont see any anything. My car is stock.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Quote Originally Posted by chromatica View Post
    why is it that every noob seems to miss the sticky that covers this exact topic, and many more??

lose the bov
    Like I said in my post, I have read the sticky and was wondering what everybody's opinion was on the subject; Maybe it was you that missed something...

Although I am no expert on these engines, I do not see how an aftermarket bov would hurt the car. I could see the possible decrease in gas mileage, but to harm the engine by simply depriving the engine of air (richening the mixture) is what I don't understand. Is there something else going on that I am not thinking about?

No offense to Chromatica, but this is an honest question in which I am looking for additional information from what is posted in the short section of the sticky.

Like a few guys already said, your best bet would be to go back to the stock BOV until you need a new one. Some people run BOV's without problems, Some have alot of problems, I had the Rfl bov on my WRX when I was stock and I would turn on my car and it would stall right back out sometimes.
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

no flame here

not flaming, but the facts of the matter are simple: stock bov > aftermarket....for a variety of reasons. But do as you wish. "to each, their own"
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts05 View Post
    i have a bov on my car for about 19,000+ miles and i dont see any anything. My car is stock.
    Its not going to blow up your car but 90% of the time it does cause drivability problems due to incorrect adjusment,poor designs,and less than optimal performance.If actually understand how a MAF system works this might be more clear.Why atmosperic BOV cuase less than optimal performance.. http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    Like I said in my post, I have read the sticky and was wondering what everybody's opinion was on the subject; Maybe it was you that missed something...

Although I am no expert on these engines, I do not see how an aftermarket bov would hurt the car. I could see the possible decrease in gas mileage, but to harm the engine by simply depriving the engine of air (richening the mixture) is what I don't understand. Is there something else going on that I am not thinking about?

No offense to Chromatica, but this is an honest question in which I am looking for additional information from what is posted in the short section of the sticky.
    really??
    i thought the sticky summed it all up quite nicely, which is why i assumed you didn't actually read it
    I want my subie back.

Quote Originally Posted by chromatica View Post
    really??
    i thought the sticky summed it all up quite nicely, which is why i assumed you didn't actually read it
    I am of the opinion that the engine performance sticky is really really really in need of a huge overhaul. Has anyone actually looked at it lately? There's a poll about what's the best BOV and a thread with details to a BOV installation! There are also THREE threads on how to install a boost controller and 2 uber old threads about boost controllers that don't exactly discourage them. While there is some great information to be had if you are willing pick through it, the layout of the page and the age of some of the threads on it certainly doesn't make it easy and it's no wonder we get so many confused n00b posts these days. I voluneer to contribute to the renovation if anyone else thinks it's worth it.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.