"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 514

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; No need for a BOV.. i was in the same position as u when i got my car and i ...

No need for a BOV.. i was in the same position as u when i got my car and i got so many people telling me not to get one.

Instead i got an SPT Short Ram Intake, and got a great Wchsh from it. haha

If your not pleased with that little amound of noise that the intake gives you, do what i did and take out ur intake silencer which takes about 10 minutes, to find out how to do that, just search "intake silencer" on clubwrx.

Once i did that, i found out there was no need for a bov because i had the perfect WHCHSHHHHHH i wanted for my car

hope i was a help to u

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looking at my logs...when my car is idling at a stop my injectors show a duty cycle percent or 2...when idling at a roll it shows 0%...

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    CGM

i ran stg 2.5 with a worx bov set at 100 atmosphere for a while, then switched to 50/50 when it ran crappy. when at 50/50 it ran fine but it sounded nice as well. im back to recirc now though
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

read this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=468038

Trust me it does run rich between shifts and can cause hesitation.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

i think alot of the problems with the BOV's are because they are broken. i had a RFL for a while and then it starting leaking which made the car stumble

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03fastwagon View Post
    Yes MAF works great when there is actually airflow through the motor...throttle plate closed, there is no consequence. Still no proof except your opinion you don't like the sound.
    How about the fact that a divertor valve helps keep the intercooler/chargepies pressurized by sending the pressurized air back around and "pin wheeling" the turbo durring shifting to help keep the rpms up on the turbo.That is a peformance fact especially on cars that have bigger turbos and FMIC's.With an atmospheric bov you have to build up the pressure you lost and bring the turbo up the rpms it was at as well as overcoming your piggy rich bog.And ask any one how that bov acts when you try to punch the throttle on say an off ramp with a tight bend.Bog city.http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03fastwagon View Post
    Looking at my logs...when my car is idling at a stop my injectors show a duty cycle percent or 2...when idling at a roll it shows 0%...
    I bet if you look at your logs you are still seeing the ecu give timing/spark.If you are getting no fuel then how is your engine idling if you push the clutch all the way in when rolling?The clutch has disengaged the transmission.
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-06-2006 at 04:58 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Im sort of curious to see the ages of the members who post about bov's. Im thinking that if you want the bov sound, you may be somewhere between 16-20 and if you think getting a bov is ricey, you may be in the 21+ age group. I just think that the bov sound is something that seems more appealing to the younger wrx owners out there and that you grow out of it with age. Im just curious thats all.

XPT Stage 2

"Do you smell that? It smells like his clutch."
    "No, it's burnt rice."

Quote Originally Posted by Botat1725 View Post
    Im sort of curious to see the ages of the members who post about bov's. Im thinking that if you want the bov sound, you may be somewhere between 16-20 and if you think getting a bov is ricey, you may be in the 21+ age group. I just think that the bov sound is something that seems more appealing to the younger wrx owners out there and that you grow out of it with age. Im just curious thats all.
    +1

I'm 29, I'm not so much against BOV's as I am BOV+MAF. They can be done, but there are other ways to get the whoosh sound if you want it. Hell, crack a window open at highway speeds - plenty of whoosh.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I own a 2006 WRX and I had a 100% atmospheric Blitz Super Sound BOV for about a month, when I first bought upgrades for my car. I bought it because I would hear it in movies, and on a EVO in town and I thought they sounded nice, and from what I heard they helped performance.

I kept the Blitz on for less than 1,000 miles. It's sitting in my garage in a ziploc bag.

During that time it backfired on almost every accelerate and let off. When I would accelerate hard and get up to 4,000ish at and let off completely the entire car would shutter like it sucked up a rabbit. I was running the orig. Stage 1 from COBB at the time.

When I would head down a windy country road, which I used to love racing down, the car would stumble after repeated release and application of acceleration throughout the twisties.

I took it off, changed the sparkplugs, ported all the piping I could get my hands on including the connections on my stock BOV. Installed the p&p'd stocker, reset the ecu, ran a new map that I tweaked, did the knock timer reset. It works great.

The stock sounds better than my Blitz! I'm running a Fujita F5 Comp Intake and it's quiet enough on hard accel that people can't hear it, but if I cruise up to a parking lot and do some minor let offs, it sounds like no other BOV on the market. F the wooshing sound give me the laser like sound of the stocker

Check the page in the sig for the video. The beginning has the hard acceleration, and later on a slow drive by. Stocker the whole time.

I love my car now.
    Last edited by WRX2006; 11-06-2006 at 10:08 AM.

"Im sort of curious to see the ages of the members who post about bov's. Im thinking that if you want the bov sound, you may be somewhere between 16-20 and if you think getting a bov is ricey, you may be in the 21+ age group. I just think that the bov sound is something that seems more appealing to the younger wrx owners out there and that you grow out of it with age. Im just curious thats all."

I'm 18 and I hate BOVs. I have one but it is most definently recirculated. They annoy me because people run around and feel they need them to get people to notice their car. Most of the time if someone has a vented BOV, thats all they have done to their car so there is no reason to show off. my .02
    but you are right i would probably say... MOST... people who have vented BOVs are probably younger. They need to be educated.

You know what sounds ricey to me? Catbacks. Giant 3" pipes which fart around town on mid 14 second wrxs...but hey whatever floats your boat. I guess a psh noise is a lot worse than that constant annoying drone.

yeah who would ever want to add a part that adds performance? what? you say it helps the turbo flow air faster with a TBE and thus gets more power? yeah right, stop yankin my chain, only dual bovs do that.

Catbacks do not increase performance on their own...yet lots of people add them, and I am of the belief that catbacks do not add peformance unless you are with much larger turbo...my numbers are 280whp 260wtq on a lower reading dyno with stock catback...but hey fart away!