"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 513

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok...throttle plate closed...the computer knows that your Throttle position is at 0...and no air is going into motor, no air ...

Ok...throttle plate closed...the computer knows that your Throttle position is at 0...and no air is going into motor, no air no fuel. And a BOV makes you have less hp how? I would say with throttle plate closed you are making 0 hp anyways. 17,000 posts and your argument was wow stupid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 03fastwagon View Post
    Ok...throttle plate closed...the computer knows that your Throttle position is at 0...and no air is going into motor, no air no fuel. And a BOV makes you have less hp how? I would say with throttle plate closed you are making 0 hp anyways.

Throttle plate is closed air between the maf and the TP has already passed the metering, taking it out the motor is still going to compensate for that with fuel. Hence a rich condition.

I didn't say it made you have less HP. It just makes you someone that likes to sound fast.

woosh!

damn, this is news to me....i had a Turbo XS type rfl w/wrx adapter plate on my 02' wrx some years ago..had no idea the bov was making it rich not until i came across this thread.

That metered air would just circulate around or back out the air filter anyways...really not a consequence in sight still. You guys are forgetting the MAF works with the TPS...

That metered air would just circulate around or back out the air filter anyways...really not a consequence in sight still. You guys are forgetting the MAF works with the TPS...

Back out the filter, right . .

With as quick as subaru is to blame bov's for pre-cat & turbo failure and many years of wrx's coming with preturbo cats you really think they'd let a design out into the wild that does that?

good one.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    sunami turbo FTW

I had a friend talk about somtin like this, I thouht he was makin it up.

too funny
    CGM

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Back out the filter, right . .

With as quick as subaru is to blame bov's for pre-cat & turbo failure and many years of wrx's coming with preturbo cats you really think they'd let a design out into the wild that does that?

good one.
    What does pre-turbo cats have to do with air before it ever enters the engine? You are making no sense my friend. Please lay off the liquor...its still early. Lets not forget...the air is not mixed with any fuel when it does this. There is no enviromental consequence if that is what you are trying to get at. And the hose that the air returns to the intake tube is right next to the air filter...there is no forward pulls of air once the BPV closes so some of the recirculated air is bound to go back out the air filter...

I Support ClubWRX
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

What does pre-turbo cats have to do with air before it ever enters the engine? You are making no sense my friend. Please lay off the liquor...its still early. Lets not forget...the air is not mixed with any fuel when it does this. There is no enviromental consequence if that is what you are trying to get at. And the hose that the air returns to the intake tube is right next to the air filter...there is no forward pulls of air once the BPV closes so some of the recirculated air is bound to go back out the air filter...
    I'm sorry dude, but if you have to ask what a pre-turbo cat has to do with anything while talking about rich conditions you need to read, and comprehend http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf.

Also you honestly think that the sensitive maf could really handle air going the wrong direction through it so it can go out the filter and then reversing direction once again and coming to the compressor which evidently has stopped at this time as it's not pulling any more air in for the motor? Try flipping the maf around backwards sometime and start your car, imagine that at every shift.

WOOSH!
    Last edited by BrianH; 11-04-2006 at 05:13 PM.

I never meant that the MAF metered it going backwards...I meant some air inevitably escapes. And you motor does not need any air or fuel to idle when the wheels are driving the engine forward. At 4k rpm throttle plate closed...there is far to little fuel and air being drawn to idle the motor.

I Support ClubWRX
    I never meant that the MAF metered it going backwards...I meant some air inevitably escapes. And you motor does not need any air or fuel to idle when the wheels are driving the engine forward. At 4k rpm throttle plate closed...there is far to little fuel and air being drawn to idle the motor.
    Is the air and fuel being drawn in at that moment? Yes.

If you rob the engine of that air will you run rich at that moment? Yes.

so wait, a motor at idle doesn't use any air at idle?

and for it to "escape" out the filter it would be going past the maf.

Does your motor idle at 4k rpms? I know mine doesn't the road is idling your motor, not the combustion.

right so it's not firing, it's not drawing fuel, it's not consuming air while doing so?

I Support ClubWRX
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics