"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 510

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by rr1911 sounds about right +1...

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    sounds about right
    +1
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds good but only one thing to add to make it easier for you. If you take a look at the recircualtion hose, the black rubber one with the metal spring clamp. That metal clamp has a pair of teeth on it so you can lock it open. So you can slide the recirculation elbow into it, then bolt the BPV in place, then release the lock on the clamp so the hose aligned right.

The only other thing you may need to do is if your BOV is big like my Worx one was, the metal vent line that runs along the front of the intercooler may need to be moved. Its just 2 or 3 10mm bolts to take off and it will let you move it around if its in the way.

If you're going the TMIC route, I'd stick w/the stocker. I actually have the re-circulating TXS H34 myself and it works great with my setup, but I would have just stayed stock if I hadn't switched to an FMIC.

That said, if you want a little bit more sound, you can use the TXS valve and won't give you any trouble.
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

How to run BOV?

Yes, I am still kind of a ricer and want to get a bov but dont want to hurt my car. I was wondering how do I make this happen. Does Cobb have a tune that includes a bov or any other device that will change the tune from half in half to an all atmospheric bov?

don't buy one problem solved theres no tune or anything that will prevent it.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

buy it and keep it under your drivers seat.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    buy it and keep it under your drivers seat.
    omgz then da seats will be mad psssht'in dawg.
    FORZA FERRARI

The simple answer is no, you can't run a BOV and still make it 100% safe, no matter how you tune it.

The fact that you're venting air out of the intake tract and straight into the atmosphere, air that your ECU anticipated being there, means you're always going to run rich. If you MUST have some scream "oooh look at me everyone, I have a turbo!" whenever you shift, consider a Cobb SF or SPT intake instead. Neither will do much in the power department, but they will make your stock bypass valve louder which should satisfy your ricer tendencies without messing with your A/F ratios.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's (not) simple - just convert your car from MAF to MAP - then create a custom tune.

Cobb AP + Protune/Streettuner
    or UTEC or Enginuity - probably more ways to do it also.

Of course the only way you're going to get someone to help you with this - is probably paying them by the hour. It's a bad idea really - if you want the BOV sound that bad, just buy the electronic BOV noisemaker off e-bay - just as rice and it won't damage anything - well, other than your image
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

ok i understand thanks for the help guys

Newb question

Hello, im new here, ive been reading around the forums a bit and noticed alot of people say BOVs are bad. i plan on getting a wrx this summer. my understanding is that BOVs r required by turbos to release pressure so the wrx must have a BOV i want to know if the BOV makes a noticable sound and if not, how hard would it be to switch it out for one that is a little louder. i must have that "pshht" sound when i shift!
    sorry if any of this dosent make sence, but i figured now is as good a time as any to start learning about these things

no.

if you really DID do some reading you already know you CAN'T get the sound you're looking for without installing something that will mess up your car. Subaru's already HAVE a valve, it just doesn't make any noise.

looks like you didn't like the answer you came up with by searching so you're asking again hoping to get a different answer. you won't. BOV's suck.

you should have bought a old DSM or a turbo'd Civic.

a n00b asks this question on this forum at least 3 times a day, and the answer is always the same.

just say "no" to BOV's.
    Last edited by blarg; 11-03-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Bov...

someone please correct me if i'm giving info out incorrectly. From what I've come to understand about blow off values is... they aren't bad for your car but they don't improve performance and that lovely darth vader sound is annoying (to some/not all); and hence most people find them pointless and talk negatively about them. I happen to agree with the masses on this one. I rather get better speakers in my car than have 9ussies anakin turn darth vader on me every time I shift.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe.zavala View Post
    someone please correct me if i'm giving info out incorrectly. From what I've come to understand about blow off values is... they aren't bad for your car but they don't improve performance and that lovely darth vader sound is annoying (to some/not all); and hence most people find them pointless and talk negatively about them. I happen to agree with the masses on this one. I rather get better speakers in my car than have 9ussies anakin turn darth vader on me every time I shift.
    I guess YOU need to do a search too.

BOV's mess with your a/f ratio.

and yes, its also pointless and annoying.

"Hey...LOOK AT ME!!! I have teh trubo! I am teh fast4R"

meh.
    Last edited by blarg; 11-03-2006 at 11:35 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

+1 blargs right.

BOV's = NO
    FORZA FERRARI