"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 508
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Micah Brainfart - my bad. stock recirc is considered good up to 25psi I think from what ...

Quote Originally Posted by Micah
    Brainfart - my bad. stock recirc is considered good up to 25psi I think from what I've read on the forum. - I guess the question I was trying to ask is :
    I would be very surprised to see a stock recirculation valve properly operate up 25 psi. While there are occasionally exceptions, from what I have seen, 18-20 psi is usually the outside limit for the majority of stock bypass valves.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

trouble in low rpms/idle bov issue?

Just some background info, ive been shopping around for a new car and decided to check out a wrx at local dealer. Its an 02' w/ over 100k on it so I was a bit hesitant. Im not the most familiar with wrx's (honda man), but i did notice that the car had a greddy type s bov (non recirculated), cai, aftermarket downpipe and cats removed.
    I took the car for a test drive and was ver impressed except for 1 thing. At low rpms the car feels like its going to stall, even if i have the clutch pushed in all the way. I was sitting at a stop light w/ the clutch in and the revs would drop to 500ish (idle), continue to drop (feel like the car was gonna stall) then jump up to 1.2k ish.
    I'm guessing this is because of the bov.
    Any ideas?
    Also if it is the bov, how would one go about fixing it? I did some searches and found that most people dont hink highly of aftermarket bov's and that the stock bpv is good enough. Is there a particular site/place to buy a stock bpv and if so how much do they usualy run?
    Thanks
    hoping to soon be a wrx owner

Quote Originally Posted by samflax
    Just some background info, ive been shopping around for a new car and decided to check out a wrx at local dealer. Its an 02' w/ over 100k on it so I was a bit hesitant. Im not the most familiar with wrx's (honda man), but i did notice that the car had a greddy type s bov (non recirculated), cai, aftermarket downpipe and cats removed.
    I took the car for a test drive and was ver impressed except for 1 thing. At low rpms the car feels like its going to stall, even if i have the clutch pushed in all the way. I was sitting at a stop light w/ the clutch in and the revs would drop to 500ish (idle), continue to drop (feel like the car was gonna stall) then jump up to 1.2k ish.
    I'm guessing this is because of the bov.
    Any ideas?
    Also if it is the bov, how would one go about fixing it? I did some searches and found that most people dont hink highly of aftermarket bov's and that the stock bpv is good enough. Is there a particular site/place to buy a stock bpv and if so how much do they usualy run?
    Thanks
    hoping to soon be a wrx owner
    each car is differ , but could be the cai .
    my 04 sti will idle around 400-500 with the fans off then around 700-800 fans on . for stock BPV's here ya go
    doesn't look like they come with the hose adapter but shouldn't be that hard to find one . although one bov won't mess with the car , search for one called Forge .

stock bovs below
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...37736387QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/subar...45556287QQrdZ1

hell , here is a forge bov and below that is a BPV

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...lve-p-869.html

bpv below

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/288

last link shows the elbow you will need for a BPV on the car .

HKS under myhood YES!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait... Yay for the stock one!!!
    Proud owner of a 2003 scooby wagon
    And a 1991 Honda prelude!

BOV Questions 06 WRX

I just got a new 06 wrx sedan (silver) a few weeks ago, and im looking into getting a blow off valve.

Are there any cons with using a BOV?

Do you have any suggestions on what I should get?

Looking for something that sounds good but not to loud and does its job.

Should I install it my self or have a shop do it for me, if so how much does installation cost? My budget is $200.

Thanks

Do a search. A BOV is not a recommended mod at all. You're better off spending that money elsewhere.

edit: Here, read this one for starters...
    '06 WRB WRX

Thanks for the reply, this is my first wrx and im just moving into car scene, so I donít know much of the tech. Can you suggest the first mods I should start saving up for? The 06's are a bit more quite now and I want to get something to make it sound a bit better. Then move more into performance.

Can you also let me know the main reasons why not to run a bov? Thereís a bit of mixed feelings in that post, and in google.

Banned

start with a turbo back

also take out the turbo scliencer in the fender ull hear ur turbo it makes the car sound great

There's a sticky on this thread called "Engine Performance FAQ".

A great FAQ's from another forum (I personally learned a lot from it) - Check it out.

Again... BOV does not do anything in terms of performance but a "noise maker"; and can rather do more harm.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 10-23-2006 at 02:16 AM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

honestly, can somebody tell me where this fad, no phenomenon, of bov's? is coming from? It is really mind boggling, no matter how much they know or how little, or even how know, it is always the first freaking thing that comes to mind!

O, im also going to introduce you to this link, it has the answer to all your questions besides teh stickies that you should read, and i mean ALL of the stickies. This is that magical button Magical Button
    Blobeye Syndicate #17

Since you are new to this scene I highly recommend reading all of the FAq's on the entire forum first...and also since you are new...you are likely to pick up things in magazines or try and do things some of your friends have done with their hondas or cars alike.

Unlike hondas and other import tuner cars, BOV's are horrible on WRX's/STi's because they cause unsafe A/F ratios when they are put on without a tune...the stock by pass valve is good up to 21+ psi in most situations. The only blow off valve that you should get for the car....and not until you are running over 21 psi...is a 50/50 recirc valve that is half bov...half recirc back into the intake. These are the ideal aftermarket bpv (bpv = bypassvalve)

First mods on the car should be a turbo back exhaust which is consisting of a downpipe and a catback exhaust. This alone will be a massive performance increase. The downpipe houses the 2 catalytic converters on the car...and most aftermarket ones delete one of them...or all of them...depending on your law enforcement...I would suggest getting a catted downpipe as they do not cause enough restriction too worry about or notice, and your car wont stink.

I would then suggest getting an aftermarket up-pipe as this will delete the 3rd catalytic converter on the car and give you yet again...a large boost in performance.

Doing these mods will require you to get a cobb accessport and flash to the correct map...which is an entire new subject....I would recommend reading around the engine management thread or going to cobbs website at cobbtuning.com to learn about this heavenly object.

After the turbo back, the up-pipe and the cobb accessport...your car will be worlds different in terms of speed and torque. These mods will cost you around 1500 at the very least through internet sales and thats if you find some really good deals on most of the items i listed. You can use preowned parts but im not much for that so i dont usually recommend it...but you can save money that way as well...and knock that down to around 1100-1200 or so.

Enjoy clubwrx.net
    Last edited by whitakerSTi; 10-23-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrxsilver View Post
    I just got a new 06 wrx sedan (silver) a few weeks ago, and im looking into getting a blow off valve.

Are there any cons with using a BOV?

Do you have any suggestions on what I should get?

Looking for something that sounds good but not to loud and does its job.

Should I install it my self or have a shop do it for me, if so how much does installation cost? My budget is $200.

Thanks
    Actually, the 06's are a little different than previous WRX's, and you have to run 100% recirc, otherwise you will have idling problems. If you are mainly looking for the noise, you can certainly take out the resonator (free) or put on an intake because that will let you hear a lot more of the intake noise, and the sound of the BPV opening.
    "I never drive faster than I can see."
    - Jack Burton

yes that is true, I had forgotten about that for the new 06's in my post....the only 100 percent recirc valve made thats aftermarket is Turbo XS's brand new one called the Type-H Racing Bypass Valve. You can get it at rallysportdirect.com....thats the only site I have checked so far that carries it. Others probably do as well.

There is also the Go Fast Bits Hybrid ( I am using this one and really like it), and I believe that Forge makes one as well.
    "I never drive faster than I can see."
    - Jack Burton

02 WRX BoV

will BoV's that work for 05-06 also work on 02's.... as far as i know i dont recall subaru changing it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.