"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 507

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Now Im confused as all #$#$! I have no idea, because there are no solid replies to yes or no ...

Now Im confused as all #$#$! I have no idea, because there are no solid replies to yes or no when a bov should be used. Maybe that is because most Bov threads include a question about the first mod. I have read over and over about bov not a good first mod, Ok, Im fine with that, don't want one any ways.

But, what about after you upgrade the entire fuel system,get a bigger turbo (looking at 18G), get a FMIC, some engine management, and a dyno tune all at once. Is that an ok time for a BOV? Or is it after the boost gets turned up.

I have searched this, and everytime the question of an upgrade consisting of a bigger turbo/IC/Fuel system/dyno tune/EM, the replies are 50/50. I can't figure out what is the right solution.

Sorry not meant to Hi-jack, but maybe some good replies to this will help out future new suby owners with a question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ha nice man, i dont know what it is with people, i tell guys all the time not to run these and they think im lying, idk but im sure you will have no problem selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedXTC
    Now Im confused as all #$#$! I have no idea, because there are no solid replies to yes or no when a bov should be used. Maybe that is because most Bov threads include a question about the first mod. I have read over and over about bov not a good first mod, Ok, Im fine with that, don't want one any ways.

But, what about after you upgrade the entire fuel system,get a bigger turbo (looking at 18G), get a FMIC, some engine management, and a dyno tune all at once. Is that an ok time for a BOV? Or is it after the boost gets turned up.

I have searched this, and everytime the question of an upgrade consisting of a bigger turbo/IC/Fuel system/dyno tune/EM, the replies are 50/50. I can't figure out what is the right solution.

Sorry not meant to Hi-jack, but maybe some good replies to this will help out future new suby owners with a question.
    The simple answer is, if you upgrade your turbo and begin running a higher boost level than what your stock recirculating valve can handle, you simply get a stronger aftermarket recirculating valve that can handle the increased boost pressure. There are stronger recirculating valves out there ya know, so just because all aftermarket BOVs can handle a good amount of boost doesn't mean that they are your only choice once you've exceeded the capability of your stock bypass valve. The only reason why these BOVs can be set to handle a large amount of pressure is because they're typically built to be more universal in their application, rather than for specific vehicle or motor.

With that in mind, just because you get an 18G, intercooler, fuel system, dyno tune/engine management doesn't mean that it is now OK to get a BOV. The basic operation of the system isn't really changing when you do such upgrades, you're just operating on a larger scale (bigger injectors and more fuel, bigger turbo and more air) than before, nothing more.

To sum it up, more boost does not justify the purchase of a BOV. More boost justifies the purchase of a better recirculation valve.
    Last edited by cheeseybacon; 10-17-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i believe Prodrive makes a replacement boost control unit, so does perrin - does anyone know if either of these units are plug-and-play
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah
    i believe Prodrive makes a replacement boost control unit, so does perrin - does anyone know if either of these units are plug-and-play
    Erm, wrong thread maybe? Boost control units and BOVs perform completely different jobs.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseybacon
    Erm, wrong thread maybe? Boost control units and BOVs perform completely different jobs.
    Brainfart - my bad. stock recirc is considered good up to 25psi I think from what I've read on the forum. - I guess the question I was trying to ask is :

Are there any aftermarket replacements for the stock BPV which we can put a link to in this thread so that people can be referred here the next time the question arises?

(and the award nominees for run on sentances are.........)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Perrin has recirculating BOV

Turbo XS also has an upgraded recirculating BOV the WS-RBV. We just got them in and they are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JSCspeed
    Perrin has recirculating BOV

Turbo XS also has an upgraded recirculating BOV the WS-RBV. We just got them in and they are very nice.
    Now in order for these to function correctly and not cause the car to lean out - 100% would need to be recirculated correct?

Yup. Both of those are recirculating. But, like Cheesy said, why bother till you actually need to?

i have the turbosmart dual port 50/50 and i could not be happier. yes, it it true that is dropped my mpg by 1 or 2 and it had 0 performance gains, but i enjoy the swoosh it makes and that was why i bought it. not to put in others faces, but for ME to enjoy when i and whipping through turns. it adds to the sensation of speed and power at a time when i am not vary fast at all. truth be told, once i get faster, then it is going to come off the car. i will have more than enough sensory input to know i am haulin' azz.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

let me know about the deal. free bump

Quote Originally Posted by engz
    let me know about the deal. free bump
    i have one im willing to sell you
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

wow so this thread should be moved to nasioc since everybody flamed him so bad. and no offense i love this forum and i love everybody here but its deff the most unfriendly forum when it comes to noobs (well besides nasioc that is)
    2002 WRB WRX- XPT Stage 2 Awaiting 25% more displacement!!

got grip?

Arrg, teh interweb be a harsh mistress.

But, sometimes tough love is the best way to learn.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poekin
    did anyone else read the title and say to themselves "O man this poor kid"
    Yes, and I was gonna say search engine is nice to use.