"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 501

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by scooby2.0t honestly we all know that a bov makes you run rich inbetween shifts but now tell ...

Quote Originally Posted by scooby2.0t
    honestly we all know that a bov makes you run rich inbetween shifts but now tell me why thats bad besides the fact that your burning a lil fuel bc i know no one has burt out any o2 sensors or anything like that and have heard of very very few problems mechanically besides ppl who buy junk and expect it to work.
    Running rich typically doesn't cause immediate danger like running lean can. The effects of running rich usualy cause problems that show up over the long term. Your spark plugs will foul up much quicker, and running rich can wash out your cylinders which is definately not good. I've been told it can prematurelly foul up your valves too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It can also cause problems with catalytic convertors for those that are running them,when the unburned fuel ignites inside them.Also as well when the air is recirculated it keeps the turbo spining by a pinwheel effect and also keeps the chargepipes and intercooler pressurized.http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm same stuff can be found in a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    The running rich caused by a BOV isn't gonna hurt anything. It won't damage your cat, it isn't gonna kill your plugs, etc. However, it does happen. I had a forge BOV on my car for a long time and I absolutely noticed it. Wanna experience it yourself?

Find a nice sweeping offramp and get down it hard. As you're mid corner, lift your foot off the gas to make the BOV open, and then hit the gas again really quickly (you're simulating making an adjustment midcorner with the throttle, but I'm not telling you to go fast enough that you have to). If you're at any decent boost pressure when you lift, you will feel the car hesitate everytime you do this... If you don't feel it, your bov isn't working correctly.

I have a datalog somewhere that shows very clearly the richness when you get off the gas. It's inevitable based on how the car meters air... You can deny all you want and say what ever makes you feel best, but at the end of the day it is what it is...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Running Over 20psi soon, what BOV should I get?

Trust me I hate BOV's and they make the car run like doo doo. I'm installing my FP18g with Helix 820cc's and a Walbro 255, and last of all my Helix TMIC, within the next week or so. I'm getting it tuned with utec around 20-22psi, and I know the stock one doesn't like anything over 20psi at all, and 20 is pushing it at that. Should I stay with a recirculating valve or would atmospheric be ok with this setup?. I was either thinking a Forge Recirc, Perrin Recirc, or maybe a GFB Hybrid 50/50 to be even louder and more obnoxious. What would be the best/safest/smartest?

i like the perrin recirculating valve

I run the APS Dual Port. Its nice.

or you can search NASIOC for stock BPV mod. It uses a directional control valve to lock the BPV shut during high boost runs. I believe I will do this with the new setup.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

my stock valve holds 22 lbs just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RWU00313
    my stock valve holds 22 lbs just fine.

+1 boost leak tested approved
    Blobeye Syndicate #17

+2 for stock
    Car-less

+3

21lbs on the stocker but I couldnt run any higher. Find out what boost you are going to run and that will determine if you need to switch. Then again the stock BPV can crack open at 19psi and others can hold till 23psi so Id say get a BPV just to be safe.

I like Forge.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisSnT
    Then again the stock BPV can crack open at 19psi and others can hold till 23psi so Id say get a BPV just to be safe.
    mine did as well...
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider

APS Dual Port or Turbosmart BOV, the later actually makes it very easy to adjust how much gets vented back to the intake. All you have to do is twist the cap on it as opposed to APS, where you have to take the top part off.

Stock bypass valve is also fine, although, personally I prefer aftermarket parts just because I hate stock.

the APS does not have to be taken apart to be adjusted, it takes only a hex wrench that is supplied. You should only have to adjust it once, during initial installation & thats it. The % of vent is not adjustable.
    1988 Celica Alltrac

yea i was thinking Forge recirc, or the Perrin Recirc.

a really cool one that makes a psssh Noise
    Fp18g, Txs RFL
    650cc PE Injectors, Walb 255 Fp3" TBE, Perrin Inlet Hose, UteC, HeliX uppipe,Stock Tmic
    STock Clutch , Stock 5 Speedn
    STI ShortBloCK 265whp 300tq @17psi Still DETUNED
    13.1 @104 Slipping Clutch