"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 500

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; he he, even though I'm a nub here and have only had my Rex for two weeks, it is painfully ...

he he, even though I'm a nub here and have only had my Rex for two weeks, it is painfully obvious what the general stance is on BOVs, so no worries about me getting one.

Now where can I get an air intake?

Hawk-Eye Alliance #008
    Mods:
    Fuzzy Dice

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I've ran that same BOV for 2 years now and not had any issues at all. Rich between shifts? Get a wideband and datalogging and show me...

1)Air comes in and is metered by MAF
    2)You shift,throttle closes,and you vent to atmosphere instead of sending air in a loop
    3)You push back on gas and ECU sends fuel for metered air that is suposed to be there because it never was supposed to leave the intake system.
    4)black cloud and firecracker come out tailpipe
    5)You go reseach why everyone with an atmospheric BOV would love to have a blow through MAF system.

This isn't even debatable because its a 100% pure mechanical fact.Not to mention probably 70% of the people with BOV's have it incorrectly adjusted anyways.
    Last edited by Donkey; 09-15-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

if it is fact and proven, then show me emperical data. Wideband and datalogging. I have an atmos. BOV and don't get backfires or the symptoms that are always written about. So, show proof that this fact is true...

guy 1: "it is so obvious, you're rich between shifts"
    guy 2: "show me proof"
    guy 1: "ummm, its common knowlegde, everyone knows noob"
    guy 2: "proof?"
    guy 1: "wellll.....search, you'll find it..."

well I haven't found it yet

It may be true, I willing to believe it. But prove it. I have my stock narrow band but do have logs. its rock solid 11 AFR and then on shift it hits like 26(typical between shifts or off throttle) and then instantly its solid at 11 again.
    '02 Silver WRX
    - PDX Tuned Stage 2.5 w/ APS FMIC, ACT Street clutch & flywheel

narrow bands = not much info
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

Bov Q =p

Before you flame let me say i already bought,tried,sold my hks

but let me ask anyway. i installed my BOV and all that good stuff and it worked but my car ran like piss so i sold it but that return hose... i never plugged it. would that increase my running crappyness? cause i did enjoy the "Cool noise" but not at the cost of performance

if it is fact and proven, then show me emperical data. Wideband and datalogging. I have an atmos. BOV and don't get backfires or the symptoms that are always written about. So, show proof that this fact is true...

It may be true, I willing to believe it. But prove it. I have my stock narrow band but do have logs. its rock solid 11 AFR and then on shift it hits like 26(typical between shifts or off throttle) and then instantly its solid at 11 again.

How about researching how a maf setup works? It is pretty common knowledge.

if you never plugged your return hose I would plan on replacing a piston soon. Good news is that's pretty cheap!

damb that sucks

It sounds like you avoided serious damage to your motor.

But yes, keeping that return hole unplugged was the reason your car ran like crap.

i only had the BOV on for maybe 2 days and drove it maybe 50 miles. would i of cuased any dmg?

If its runnin fine now then prob not but I could be wrong, an expert can correct me. As for running like crap, you shouldve plugged the hose, thats why it comes with the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    How about researching how a maf setup works? It is pretty common knowledge.
    I agree with Brian. If you can understand how the system works u will see that it is impossible not to run rich between shifts.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

the biggest problem is that you can suck in unfiltered air through that hose at every throttle lift if its open...so as long as you didn't drive through construction sites or any place dirty you probably dodged a bullet.

basically its like driving around with no air filter.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX

Question for ya,as i own a PSI3 data monitor that reads of the stock "almost wideband".Have you ever seen it read under 11:1? I know for a fact you haven't because thats were the stock sensor stops.The factory sensor can not read under 11:1.That's why you saw a "rock solid" 11:1.Now go buy a wideband and see what you get.Most can read down to a 9:1 or lower.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

honestly we all know that a bov makes you run rich inbetween shifts but now tell me why thats bad besides the fact that your burning a lil fuel bc i know no one has burt out any o2 sensors or anything like that and have heard of very very few problems mechanically besides ppl who buy junk and expect it to work.
    2002 WRB WRX- XPT Stage 2 Awaiting 25% more displacement!!

got grip?