"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 496
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by wrx wagone Good point. I guess then you would need one of these. lol.. i already tried ...

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    Good point. I guess then you would need one of these.

lol.. i already tried that, everyone just looked at me and laughed >.<
    according to the map, we've only gone 4 inches.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My BOV is strange, i swear! (someone help)

I have a 06 Limited. (Thanks in advance for reading my novel)

I like BOV's!!, this is my second wrx. (for the record)

Mods in order of install:
    I installed a CAI first on my car and it started to blow off a bit if I tried. (already had CAI)
    I installed a Catback and blowoff didnt change. (of course)
    I installed a Blitz DD bov and bov barely blewoff and most of the time fluttered but in high
    3rd and 4th it could'nt be heard. and i adjusted the screw loose and tight to test spring.
    I installed heat wrapped downpipe and it didnt change. (no leaks, no cats)

For some crazy reason the tightening screw from the bov unscrewed itself and was lost, and i noticed this when i popped the hood and heard a pppssssssss (leaking). I noticed this immidiately and went to buy a bolt for it. I found the bolt but it was too big, so i pretty much screwed it in tight as all hell. I drove it (damn i love driving) and the BOV worked, but less then before but no flutter (since its tight). This is the crazy part...I let my friend drive it (he drives it like he stole it) and for the first part of the drive (2 miles) no difference. I switched seats after he boned out enough and started to drive. Another mile after that i started noticing a new spooling sound. WTF...This is what i always wanted..more spooling sound. The sound comes from my BOV while under any throttle in boost.

My question is...it spools more, but the BOV is still itty bitty when my boost is 11.5 Why? Also, when the bolt came out, could the spring also come out? Is 11.5 low boost in the whole spectrum where it just wont make a loud blowoff using any turbo in any car? Why is my bov making spooling sounds and is it bad? Do i have to raise my boost to make it work properly?

If someone can help me out here, i know how to explain it, but thats about it...
    My friend has a MR2 with same mods (i know different car, larger stock turbo, all mods are different) but same BOV and when he blows off, its WAY louder with his boost set lower then mine stock.

Thanks in advance.
    i really just dont know which one to buy i know the td04 spools fast but a lil less whp than the GT40R... Hmmm i really just don't know, I'm afarid the td04 will break my tranny so i think i'll just go with the 40r.

definitely should try twin bovs then maybe it will be loud

FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Once an Altima

I installed a CAI first on my car and it started to blow off a bit if I tried. (already had CAI)
    I installed a Blitz DD bov and bov barely blewoff and most of the time fluttered but in high
    3rd and 4th it could'nt be heard. and i adjusted the screw loose and tight to test spring.

For some crazy reason the tightening screw from the bov unscrewed itself and was lost, and i noticed this when i popped the hood and heard a pppssssssss (leaking). I noticed this immidiately and went to buy a bolt for it. I found the bolt but it was too big, so i pretty much screwed it in tight as all hell. I drove it (damn i love driving) and the BOV worked, but less then before but no flutter (since its tight). This is the crazy part...I let my friend drive it (he drives it like he stole it) and for the first part of the drive (2 miles) no difference. I switched seats after he boned out enough and started to drive. Another mile after that i started noticing a new spooling sound. WTF...This is what i always wanted..more spooling sound. The sound comes from my BOV while under any throttle in boost.

My question is...it spools more, but the BOV is still itty bitty when my boost is 11.5 Why? Also, when the bolt came out, could the spring also come out? Is 11.5 low boost in the whole spectrum where it just wont make a loud blowoff using any turbo in any car? Why is my bov making spooling sounds and is it bad? Do i have to raise my boost to make it work properly?

If someone can help me out here, i know how to explain it, but thats about it...
    My friend has a MR2 with same mods (i know different car, larger stock turbo, all mods are different) but same BOV and when he blows off, its WAY louder with his boost set lower then mine stock.

Thanks in advance.
    ban
    rumble young man, rumble...

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver
    ...Sounds like we got a vh-1 storyteller here...

he has to be joking, or ive lost all faith in the WRX community.

it looks like he took all the things listed NOT to do to a wrx and did them in that exact order.

Thanks in advance.

Since when does a BOV spool?

Your post makes no sense. What do you want to happen that isn't happening? The pfffssshhhtt noise?
    Car-less

This is your second WRX and you have failed to realize that a CAI and a BOV are the first mods not to put on your car.

hey lets try to help him out not make him feel like sh*t
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

Anyone else have any smart ass comments? I wish i lived closer to some of you...
    If you reading this and really want to help, msg me.
    i really just dont know which one to buy i know the td04 spools fast but a lil less whp than the GT40R... Hmmm i really just don't know, I'm afarid the td04 will break my tranny so i think i'll just go with the 40r.

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlas66

Since when does a BOV spool?

Your post makes no sense. What do you want to happen that isn't happening? The pfffssshhhtt noise?
    Well obviously it doesnt spool, but it makes a "spooling" sound which ive never heard...you prob just being a smart ass but it seems like you may have read what i wrote...thanks if im wrong. Yes more PSSSTTT noise.

Quote Originally Posted by wakeskate23488
    definitely should try twin bovs then maybe it will be loud
    Even though your being a smart ass, you might be on to something...

I wish i lived closer to some of you...
    So you could be friends?

[QUOTE= I wish i lived closer to some of you....[/QUOTE]

Bring it on champ.

Actually, I would love to help you but due to poor grammar and sentence structure, I have no idea what you are really asking.

I will clear some things up for you. The stock BOV is actually not a BOV, it's a BPV which means bypass valve. Since a bypass valve doesn't vent to the atmosphere, there is almost no audible pffsshht sound. The spooling noise should be the turbo spooling up. It depends on when you hear the noise. If you are steadily increasing throttle then it's probably the turbo. If it's when you shift or let off the gas, it's the BPV.

A CAI shouldn't do anything to the BPV. It will however bring excess air into your system and without proper tuning can be harmful to your car. I don't know why you would try and adjust anything on the BPV without knowing what you were doing but with an aftermarket BOV and no tuning for it, the car has the chance of running rich (too much fuel) and making your car slower and choppy. This is not good for the spark plugs or the fun of driving.
    Car-less

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.