"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 485

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by BrianH hmm is that the v1 or v2 one? v3, actually. it's still in r&d, but i ...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    hmm is that the v1 or v2 one?
    v3, actually. it's still in r&d, but i got lucky. using the beta.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Y'all are all wrong, you idiots.

It's the 90% hyper vent atmospheric v3 by Greddy. DUH

honestly if you can recognize a sound to a certain make of BOV.... well then i'm at a loss of words.

APS blow off valve NO noise????

I just bougth my first WRX last week and the guy said it had a bypass instead of a BOV but the thing looks just like a BOV, it says APS and ive looked at other models and they look identical. It doesnt make any noise while driving, is there such thing as a bypass? Do i need to mess with the screw on top?

It's more correctly called a Reciruclation Valve since it recirculates the air back into the system when the throttle blades are closed when shifting. It's entirely possible that the APS unit on your car can be adjusted between full recirculaton and atmospheric.You can read the FAQ to find out why a Blow-Off Valve is bad for WRXes. You should leave it on recirc...
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

bad idea for a all stock motor.
    Last edited by handyrs; 08-02-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe
    I just bougth my first WRX last week and the guy said it had a bypass instead of a BOV but the thing looks just like a BOV, it says APS and ive looked at other models and they look identical. It doesnt make any noise while driving, is there such thing as a bypass? Do i need to mess with the screw on top?
    the APS BPV is almost quieter than the stock BPV....

the APS can be adjusted pressure-wise but not how much it vents, I run one it works well.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Thanks!

Thanks guys, so its normal for it not to make a sound? Well it wouldnt be on there but the guy who sold it to me didnt give me the stock piece so i pretty much am stuck with it for now.

completely normal, that why I bought the APS. I wanted silence.

you'll be fine running it, it does not cause the issues that the BOVs do...
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, I ran the APS valve for a while. Great piece. Unless you're running 18+ psi it'll never really vent to atmosphere. It's a dual stage valve with the first stage recirculating, and when there's too much air to recirculate effectively the rest vents to the atmos.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Not to hijack but it could be a question down the road for the poster....if you are running more than 18psi...should you still stick with the APS?...or go with something else?

I Support ClubWRX
    You can still stick with the APS... It's not gonna give oyu headaches. It's probably one of if not the best stock location bov...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    It's probably one of if not the best stock location bov...
    +1, the reason I went with the APS was because the stocker wasn't holding boost above 19psi whereas APS does extremely well at my current tune.
    1988 Celica Alltrac

BOV adds 15hp

I thought it was pretty funny today when I was washing my car. some guy came up to me and was like "hey thats a nice ride you got, my friend works at a subaru dealership". I Just respond with thanks, yeah I like this car a lot. Then he goes off about specs about the car and sti and future mods I should get, and the first thing he said was a BOV and it adds 15 hp lol. .. I didn't want to be rude, so I just agreed and said yeah that's for sure on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by k00kaine
    I thought it was pretty funny today when I was washing my car. some guy came up to me and was like "hey thats a nice ride you got, my friend works at a subaru dealership". I Just respond with thanks, yeah I like this car a lot. Then he goes off about specs about the car and sti and future mods I should get, and the first thing he said was a BOV and it adds 15 hp lol. .. I didn't want to be rude, so I just agreed and said yeah that's for sure on my list.
    yes, a BOV adds +15whp but you should really add a "Type-R" sticker to your car... that will add some +25Whp and ...

on your mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by k00kaine
    the first thing he said was a BOV and it adds 15 hp lol. .. I didn't want to be rude, so I just agreed and said yeah that's for sure on my list.

It doesn't?

Last edited by LeeC; 08-06-2006 at 11:38 AM.
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress