"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 482
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yes plug up the recurc. tube that routes back to the intake....

Yes plug up the recurc. tube that routes back to the intake.
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyV

What parts will I need if I'm installing the valve to vent to atmosphere? The seller doesnt have all the parts for the recirc kit, so it's going to vent to atmosphere until I can get my hands on one.
    Don't install it until you get the recirc kit....venting 100% to the atmosphere is NOT recommended...then again, neither is using a BOV until you've upgraded the turbo, etc..

Use a plug to plug up your stock recirc hose. the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilulu
    I was thinking of maybe custom-making a selectable BOV...
    The GFB Stealth FX is a direct bolt-on replacement blow-off valve for all late model Subaru WRX’s and STi’s from MY01 (MY02 in the U.S.) with no adaptors, extras or modifications required.

Everything you need is supplied in the kit for quick and easy installation. Only the Stealth FX allows you to go from silent and unnoticeable to ear shattering in a matter of seconds!

It is a little known fact that the late-model WRX factory blow-off valve is actually designed to leak at boost pressures exceeding the factory level. Replacing it noticeably improves throttle response, and is definitely recommended in applications where the boost has been raised.

The advantages of this system, combined with GFB's other proven features are numerous... Fingertip control over how loud your shifts are! By simply turning the lower ring of the cap, you can adjust how much air is vented to the atmosphere or to the inlet, giving you complete 'noise control' over your shifts! For cars with sensitive air-flow meters, you can dial in the valve to eliminate common problems normally associated with aftermarket valves... and still get a great sound. No tools needed for spring adjustment. Spring adjustment is achieved via the chrome cap on the top of the valve. The unique adjustment mechanism is contained completely within the valve, meaning that the profile remains as low as possible, as the cap does not move up and down when adjusting. Unique piston seals achieve the best possible seal on both ends of the piston. Now, as well as our acetal piston seat, a low friction, lubricant-impregnated polymer piston ring is incorporated. This system is far more reliable than o-rings, which require frequent maintenance and replacement. Tight engine bays are NO problem! The vacuum nipple is free to rotate through 360 degrees to make fitting easier.

The world's first ADJUSTABLE NOISE BOV * for street or track conditions at a twist of the wrist!

Up until now, making your machine quiet for normal street use, has meant pulling your BOV off and putting it back on when you want that blow-off noise. Not surprisingly, it's been every enthusiasts dream to have a superbly engineered BOV that has absolute maximum throttle response and power in Full Blast mode for the track ... and with a flick of the wrist, runs quietly for the street.

Called the Stealth FX, this amazing breakthrough is now a reality, the latest in a string of Aussie innovations from Sydney-based hybrid technology experts, GO FAST BITS. It is, as its name implies, the ULTIMATE performance breakthrough in BOV technology, pioneered in the GFB R&D lab.

By utilising a unique air diverting system you control exactly how much air you dump to the atmosphere for noise, or the inlet for silence. By sending the vented air back to the inlet (rather than muffling it), there is no restriction and the valve still operates at maximum efficiency. For cars with sensitive air flow meters, the valve can be tuned to vent just enough air back to the inlet to prevent backfiring whilst giving the loudest possible blow-off noise. No more guessing which valve will work on your car - this one will do it all!

GFB Stealth FX Blow Off Valve GFB-1009 Regular price: $399.99 Sale price: $359.99
    http://www.rallitek.com/gfbstfxbloff.html
    N.E. F4
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    • Over 100% flow increase in the primary stage alone - ready for BIG TURBOS!
    • 25 position external spring adjustment - no need for disassembly means adjustment on the fly
    • 5 VitonTM seals placed throughout the assembly - Leak proof
    • New piston bore sealing eliminates the need for our previous coating - now no break in necessary
    • More compact design - increased clearance for easier installation
    • Re-profiled atmosphere vents - louder more distinctive vent sound
    • High clearance base flange - allows for fitment on most aftermarket intercoolers
    It doesn't matter if you are looking to improve boost holding and increase flow to handle that upgraded turbo system, reduced lag between shifts on a stock or mildly modified vehicle, or just add a bit of sound to turn some heads. The WorxTuning DS2 is the clear choice for your upgraded valve needs. No other valve will allow you the true flexibility and tunability of the DS2.

Why would a part so simple in function need any advancement?
    • Well, it is that type of stagnant thinking that has left the market recycling the same concept over and over again. While this has produced some tried and true products that function adequately on a multitude of vehicles, this is not the case for Subaru applications. The problem is that turbo and fuel systems on these modern vehicles have advanced to a point where the valve designs of the past have more negative effect than positive and just cant hold up to the demands placed upon them. With our years of previous experience with turbocharged vehicles and valve design, we set out to design a product that would reap the potential benefits of an aftermarket valve, with the reliability and daily drivability of an OEM bypass valve. It had to be different than any product available, be extremely versatile, advanced, and user friendly. With just one look at the WorxTuning DS2 Dual Stage BOV, you can tell that we accomplished our mission.
    The concept of our Dual Stage design is fairly straight forward. Stage 1 is the bypass portion that recirculates the air, and Stage 2 is the atmosphere portion that vents excess boost pressure externally. While some have tried to build a "Hybrid" type valve that performs both functions simultaneously upon opening, our unique staged design is the key to harmony between both worlds. The ratio of venting between the two stages is variable depending on boost pressure. Under lower boost conditions such as around town driving, the valve will vent the majority of the pressure through the first stage. During more spirited driving conditions, where boost pressures are higher, the valve will vent more air volume through the second stage. What are the benefits of this design you may ask? An atmosphere venting valve has maximum pressure relief. It allows the turbo to spin freely and not stall due to reversion of boost pressure when your throttle plate closes between shifts, or after letting off of the gas. This design is ideal, but not well suited for mass air flow metered cars due to over fueling issues which cause a rich air fuel ratio. Bypass valves relieve this pressure by recirculating it back into the intake stream. This allows proper air/fuel metering, but has a tendency to be a bottleneck and still reduce compressor speed. Our staged design harnesses both of the design benefits for optimum performance. The pressure vented to atmosphere still causes a richening effect, but does so in a controlled process. The rich condition is minimized and has a cooling effect in the combustion chamber. This is actually safer for your engine in the higher boost conditions where it will occur. What more could you want? Daily drivability and increased performance due to reduced turbo lag between shifts. Plus, increased safety for your engine during hard operation. And yes, you do get the cool woosh sound as well.
    If you think that is all we have to offer, you are wrong.
    • We also use a light weight alloy piston that is almost 1/3 of the weight of brass pistons in other valves. The weight reduction provides faster action. The use of aluminum alloy also provides similar expansion rates for the piston and body compared to brass, allowing a tighter tolerance on the sealing surface. Our piston also features a unique aerodynamically enhanced design for the fastest possible pressure release.
    Now for another BOV first.......true tunability.
    • The second stage atmosphere vent ring rotates to 5 distinct positions varying from full closed to full open in 25% increments. Fully closed allows it to function as a bypass valve like the OEM part. The different rates of atmosphere vent are particularly useful in tuning the BOV's function for a specific purpose. For example, many choose to run it 50% open for daily driving but will set it to full vent when they go to the drag strip.
    • Internal spring pressure is adjusted simply via the top knob. Additionally, the adjustability of the spring allows our valve to function equally as well on a stock vehicle, or a highly modified one pushing well above factory boost levels.
    Last but not least is the pure beauty and quality of our valve. Once you put your hands on one you can truly see that there was no expense spared or corners cut in its production. It is produced on a state of the art CNC live turning center allowing a more sculpted look that is as unique as its function. The valve is constructed of aircraft grade materials with stainless steel fasteners and spring for long term durability. Finish it off with either our Signature Smoke Anodize or OEM match Limited Edition Wrinkle Red finish, and you have what we believe to be THE BEST BOV AVAILABLE. Think we are overconfident? Try one and see for yourself.

worxtuning was there first.
    www.worxtuning.com
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

cut about 10 inches off the factory hose, send it to me and I will send you the plug that fits into the hose. then we are both happy campers

GFB Stealth FX blows... I had it for a few months and it was horrid.... made the car run like **** even on full recirc and wouldn't hold boost.

Sell you BOV, and ask someone who has a car swith a BOV to record some sound clips. Put them on a small player in .wav format, spend the $150 you got from the BOV sale and buy a piezo tweeter, and a cheap amp. Rig up the player to play the sound whenever you like. For even more horsepower, get a recording from a WRC car, this will make your car at least 25% faster.

Is a whoosh sound really worth this much trouble?

Instead of installing the BOV.... Why don't you just try and shove a watermellon into your exhaust pipe. It would probabally give you some big HP Can you tell that I am not a fan of BOV's on a wrx.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

Dont worry about venting to the atmosphere, I have three guys around where i live that have a B.O.V. and they are not having any problems with there cars.
    2004 WRX @ Stage II with a Pro-tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    What I always say is if you must have a BOV, get a quality valve that allows full adjustability for blow off and for recirc. Haven't seen one yet that compares to the worx unit.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

GFB Deceptor Pro!

Just found out about this...

http://www.gofastbits.com/index.php?...n=deceptor_pro

It's what I was envisioning... an in-car remote-controllable BOV. The dial allows you to fully recirc, fully vent, or anything in between. This also in effect allows you to the control volume of the vent. I might get this, but it's over 50,000 JPY (500 USD). (T_T);;

Quick question: Will resetting the ECU (negative terminal, push brake a few times) after installing a venting BOV force the ECU to recalibrate the AFM so that the engine doesn't run rich? It seems the main problem with BOV is the stalling and enrichment due to AFM error. But if you reset the ECU, will it really relearn the new AFM readings w/ the recirc plugged and the BOV venting?
    Greetings from Japan!

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I think that no matter what you get it won't be worth it. At this point though it is proven, a WRX with a BOV doesn't work, no matter what you buy/spend. Period. Thats the bottom line unless you tune for it and are running an upgraded turbo(I don't have experience with that). Sell your car and turbo a honda if you want the psst noise. I guess since you are in Japan you could also buy an R34 skyline...and get a BOV on that.
    Last edited by LIV 2 RLY; 07-25-2006 at 01:05 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilulu

[FONT=Arial
    [/FONT]
    Quick question: Will resetting the ECU (negative terminal, push brake a few times) after installing a venting BOV force the ECU to recalibrate the AFM so that the engine doesn't run rich? It seems the main problem with BOV is the stalling and enrichment due to AFM error. But if you reset the ECU, will it really relearn the new AFM readings w/ the recirc plugged and the BOV venting?
    Think about it. Air comes in. Measured by MAF. ECU, expecting a certain volume of air, provides a certain volume of fuel. But wait a minute...most of this air volume just went out your BOV!!! End result...sporadic rich periods with rough idle and obvious fireballs with a full TBE. Not to mention that these rich periods occur during a throtle out/in period where fuel wash can already be problematic. I know...lets put MORE fuel in there. My ringlands are the bestest ringlands EVAH!! They'll stand up to it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.