"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 477

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm not slow or cranky, I'm tired of people coming looking for show off valves and not searching at all. ...

I'm not slow or cranky, I'm tired of people coming looking for show off valves and not searching at all. It's not like it hasn't been asked 30,000 times before in the past week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I understand what you're saying man. I just think you should answer the dude's question or not say anything.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe
    I understand what you're saying man. I just think you should answer the dude's question or not say anything.
    Why? teaching someone to search may prevent them from asking their next stupid question which more than likely will be "what R the best downpipes".

You'll have to excuse my friends, they're a little slow...and cranky and they cut absolutely no one any slack for anything that they don't agree with.
    As for the BOV question. Most people don't get them on Subaru's if you're still running stock turbo with stock boost levels. The stock BOV (it's actually a bypass valve BPV) is good untill about 20psi. If you have anymore questions, they are some great stickies and there is always the magic "Search" feature at the top of the screen. However, if you really want to ask a question just go ahead and post it. There are a lot of good people on here and someone will probably answer your question, just not the first two guys that posted on this thread.

psycho
    hey, Bri...remember when WE used to answer the BOVCAIMBCBBQXYZ question like psycho just did? *nostalgia*
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

True, teaching someone to search is beneficial to everyone. Did "drive into a pole" teach that guy anything?
    Mods

You guys are so old and grissled.
    Mods

True, teaching someone to search is beneficial to everyone. Did "drive into a pole" teach that guy anything?

Gotcha, trying to get the O.P. to drive into a pole is more of a benefit to the club than to the O.P.

Kill off the weak and let the strong survive right?
    Mods

Kill off the weak and let the strong survive right?

Nah, just trying to get more stories to laugh at.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonywrx
    put the stock bybass back on
    Gee im sorry i think all the smart ass comments were in the first couple pages.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____
    |.........Beer................| ||.....'|";\,___.
    |_...__...______...__..._|_||_|__|__..._|
    ..(@).(@)........(@) (@)................(@)............

GReddy Blow Off Valve Type-RS

Greetings from Japan! This is my very first post...

I bought a GReddy BOV (RS) the other day and managed to install it in my 2006 WRX running stock boost. With stock settings on the BOV (no adjustments to the spring) I thought it was working fine at first, but then the next day while driving with the radio off, I noticed some strange sounds aside from the venting. I searched the threads here but couldn't find answers to the below...

First, even when not boosting, I hear a high-pitched whining sound. Is this normal? I'm not sure if this started before or after the BOV install.

Second, when doing a quick rev while idle (neutral, i.e., at a red light), I heard a low "boom" or "pop" from the exhaust. This happens during the tail-end of the rev, right after I let off on the gas and as the rev dies down. Sometimes I hear it during actual accelleration/boost, but can't reproduce it as easily as when I'm neutral. (Or maybe I just can't hear it when moving.) I know for sure that this sound wasn't there before the BOV install. Is this a bad thing? I want to get rid of it if possible.

Has anyone else here installed an RS into their WRX? What is the ideal adjustment and how many threads on the adjustment screw should be showing?

I am venting. Will the stock ECU learn the refueling changes due to the reduction of intake? Does the adjustment on the BOV itself have anything to do with this?

As a side note, even the native, Japanese installation (and especially tuning/usage) instructions for this thing is poor in my opinion. I'd hate to see the English translation...

GReddy Blow Off Valve Type-RS

Greetings from Japan! This is my very first post...

I bought a GReddy BOV (RS) the other day and managed to install it in my 2006 WRX running stock boost. With stock settings on the BOV (no adjustments to the spring) I thought it was working fine at first, but then the next day while driving with the radio off, I noticed some strange sounds aside from the venting. I searched the threads here but couldn't find answers to the below...

First, even when not boosting, I hear a high-pitched whining sound. Is this normal? I'm not sure if this started before or after the BOV install.

Second, when doing a quick rev while idle (neutral, i.e., at a red light), I heard a low "boom" or "pop" from the exhaust. This happens during the tail-end of the rev, right after I let off on the gas and as the rev dies down. Sometimes I hear it during actual accelleration/boost, but can't reproduce it as easily as when I'm neutral. (Or maybe I just can't hear it when moving.) I know for sure that this sound wasn't there before the BOV install. Is this a bad thing? I want to get rid of it if possible.

Has anyone else here installed an RS into their WRX? What is the ideal adjustment and how many threads on the adjustment screw should be showing?

I am venting. Will the stock ECU learn the refueling changes due to the reduction of intake? Does the adjustment on the BOV itself have anything to do with this?

As a side note, even the native, Japanese installation (and especially tuning/usage) instructions for this thing is poor in my opinion. I'd hate to see the English translation...

BOV=BAD take it off ASAP, that boom you heard, if im correct(i doubt im correct) is boost spike, just take off the Blow off valve, and put the old one on, keep it tho, youll need it later for future mods. Its not good when your running stock. Hey but your taking advice from someone that didnt know what a up,down,mid pipe was until 15 mins ago but I read alot here a BOV isnt good so im just passing it along, and dont forget when your buying a smoking pipe get a wood bowl not a corn cob bowl and pack lightly if blarg reads this he will get it, or anyone that read my post
    Last edited by Killjoy32; 07-12-2006 at 08:48 PM.
    SUBARU BOXER

After reading more of the other BOV threads (and the response above), I can see that a BOV is not good for stock. So I'm going to remove it and put stock back on. And I'll hang on to it for future use. At least installing it was a good learning experience.

Anyone with PERRIN BOV????

About to buy a Perrin BOV from a friend, is there anyone who has it on this forums, what do u think about it
    ***(and for those who post that bov are bad this thread is not for u cuz i know what can happen)