"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 473
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hahaha so which one are you guys suggesting along with where can I buy them? And I read in a ...

hahaha so which one are you guys suggesting along with where can I buy them?

And I read in a post that you cannot tune for it?

On a side note, I'm not looking for something OVERLY loud or anything, I just want something. Now I have heard that the cobb intake will aid in some noise without it being overly loud, and that if you have a stage 2 it will pick up a few ponies and aid in throttle response. Is this true?

I do not want the obnoxious sound, I just want something small. And no, it would not get annoying. I went without a radio in one of my last cars just because I loved the exhaust note. I love cars, what can I say.
    '06 WRX STI is in my near future, Stage 2 here I come

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frathouse87
    hahaha so which one are you guys suggesting along with where can I buy them?

And I read in a post that you cannot tune for it?
    I can't see how you could truly tune for a BOV while still running on the stock MAF sensor system. Maybe, MAYBE, if you converted over to a MAP sensor you could somewhat tune with a BOV in mind, since a MAP looks at manifold pressure instead of airflow (someone correct me if I'm wrong). However, you'd need a different EMS that can accept input from a MAP sensor and of course the tune itself. That all adds up to a lot of moolah and hassle which in my mind isn't worth it just to make your car run slightly less rich during shifts with a BOV.

I highly suggest you quit clinging to the idea that there just has to be some way of getting a BOV to not make things rich in between shifts. If you sit down and genuinely study the differences in airflow that occur when the BPV and BOV open during a shift, and just how a MAF-based EMS controls fueling, you're gonna see that it's really really tricky, if not impossible to do, and hardly worth it time and money just for a stupid pppsssht noise.

On a side note, I'm not looking for something OVERLY loud or anything, I just want something. Now I have heard that the cobb intake will aid in some noise without it being overly loud, and that if you have a stage 2 it will pick up a few ponies and aid in throttle response. Is this true?
    Not likely you'll get much in the way of any power from intake, even at Stage 2. Heck, even Cobb themselves admitted that their own intake doesn't do much of anything. You hafta be moving some serious air and have a good tune to match in order to take advantage of an intake, and Stage 2 is hardly what I would consider moving some serious air. Part of the problem is I don't think you (and most people who continue to press the issue with intakes) are taking into account the major difference between turbocharged cars and naturally aspirated cars. Naturally aspirated cars have to breathe on their own, they don't have a turbo around to forcibly ram air down their throats and thus a high flow intake can really help a NA car to breathe the best it possibly can with the least amount of restriction. On the other end of the spectrum with a turbocharged car, the turbo crams air into the engine and does all of the breathing work for the engine, and unless you have one hell of a restrictive stock intake (which the WRX does not) there is little, if any power at all that is to be gained from an aftermarket intake since the turbo has no problems sucking in air on it's own. Noise is likely all you'll ever get out of an intake given the power levels that you'll be running at.

I do not want the obnoxious sound, I just want something small. And no, it would not get annoying. I went without a radio in one of my last cars just because I loved the exhaust note. I love cars, what can I say.
    What are you present mods? Do you have a catless uppipe and TBE yet? An uncorked Subaru boxer engine sounds awesome, and is by far the nicest sounding 4-cylinder I've ever encountered. If you focus on getting those things taken care of first, I think you might find that your car sounds so good that stupid things like show-off valves and noisy intakes will suddenly seem extremely insignificant by comparison.
    Last edited by cheeseybacon; 06-29-2006 at 06:14 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have fun setting it.All atmospheric or 50/50 BOV's are adjustable meaning you just don't pull it out of the box,bolt it on ,and your good to go.Some get lucky and don't even know it but for the most part you will have to "set" it or you will have idling issues and other problems.Good luck with your kazoo.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

nicely done, cheesey. the tactful way to explain that bovs are largely useless unless the car's setup requires it.
    rumble young man, rumble...

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver
    ...Sounds like we got a vh-1 storyteller here...

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey
    Have fun setting it.All atmospheric or 50/50 BOV's are adjustable meaning you just don't pull it out of the box,bolt it on ,and your good to go.Some get lucky and don't even know it but for the most part you will have to "set" it or you will have idling issues and other problems.Good luck with your kazoo.
    dude, what grille are you rockin' there. i have morettes also and was in the market for a grille change, but it's rough finding one that doesn't replace the side trim also. which one is that? can you PM me some pics?
    rumble young man, rumble...

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver
    ...Sounds like we got a vh-1 storyteller here...

I hear the worx tuning 50/50 BOV would be the one to go with, but I don't see why you would want to. You would be better off spending that money on either shockproof gear oil, shifter bushings, lightweight pulley, window tints, springs, struts, stainless brake lines, slotted rotors, swaybars, rims, gauges, etc. Thats just my take on the whole BOV thing. If you just want the sound then take out your intake silencer. It is not as loud as a BOV but you can definately hear it.
    Last edited by 06-wrx; 06-29-2006 at 04:51 PM.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    may as well spend money on neon lights.
    LOL

I Support ClubWRX
    My search was overwhelmed with BOV bashing and what not, and in short my question was not answered.

Now my plans are to go cobb stg. 2 and I want to get a BOV. Now I've read countless times that people say don't do it but it's my car and I want it. Now what I want to know is which BOV would I want to look for in order to not make my fuel mixture to rich between shifts. My friend told me that he was a 50/50 BOV in which half goes to atmos. and half goes to recirc. I can't find any like this yet but found something sorta close.

http://www.racecompengineering.com/product-engine4.htm

The blitz Blowoff Valve DD looks sweet with a low pressure port for city cruising and high pressure port for high acceleration. Can anyone help me out? I'd like to minimize my chances of a hurt engine.
    The BOV bashing was done for a reason. It is a waste on $. If you really want to waste your money on an annoying noisemaker, go right ahead.

Suspension mods are way more important.

Your sig says WRX wannabe. Do you have a WRX?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

im going to test it out, i have a HKS SSQV and an exhaust, im going to run it with and without the BOV and see what happens, itll be about 2-3 weeks til i can make it to the track but it will be done.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GPJamesMVT
    If you don't like BOVs, don't post.
    I like BOVs ... the ones that Subaru uses.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

and yes i didnt mean that the HKS SSQV was a bad piece...its just got that bad ricer sound. And cheesey covered it very well...for a 20 some thousand dollar car...it would be a shame to ruin it by spending 100 some bucks. Most of all the 50/50 bov's only have a stock bypass type sound...the ones that go PHSSST arent 50/50 most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi
    and yes i didnt mean that the HKS SSQV was a bad piece...its just got that bad ricer sound. And cheesey covered it very well...for a 20 some thousand dollar car...it would be a shame to ruin it by spending 100 some bucks. Most of all the 50/50 bov's only have a stock bypass type sound...the ones that go PHSSST arent 50/50 most of the time.
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to be an ass, I just didn't want him to think HKS was crap. You were completely right.

+1 Cheesey hit it right on the head.
    Car-less

why do people constanly post "i know you're all going to say bovs suck,but i want one anyways... what type should i get"

there is no reason to ask a question you already know the answer to. just get your bov and go pssssssssshhhht around town
    I want my subie back.

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx
    I hear the worx tuning 50/50 BOV would be the one to go with, but I don't see why you would want to. You would be better off spending that money on either shockproof gear oil, shifter bushings, lightweight pulley, window tints, springs, struts, stainless brake lines, slotted rotors, swaybars, rims, gauges, etc. Thats just my take on the whole BOV thing. If you just want the sound then take out your intake silencer. It is not as loud as a BOV but you can definately hear it.
    You know BOV's are bad when someone lists window tint as an acceptable performance upgrade thats better than it....hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi
    You know BOV's are bad when someone lists window tint as an acceptable performance upgrade thats better than it....hahahahaha
    It's true! I would rather spend the $$$$ on titnting my windows than buying a BOV. Of course it is his descision, but thats just my opinion. I allways laugh when I am driving behind my friend and see some smoke and hear a bit of afterfire when he shifts. Thats all BOV'S are good for, smoke and popping out the exhaust. Don't get me wrong, they have their pupose, just not on a subaru wrx. (Unless needed for a bigger turbo)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.