"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 472

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I researched around and found out that for WRX the atmospheric BOV means lost off boost at gear changes( ...

GFB BOV Question

So I researched around and found out that for WRX the atmospheric BOV means lost off boost at gear changes( I really wanted to buy the HKS SSQ BOV, what u think still ok), but decided to go with BOV that vents to atmosphere and back to intake.
    I went on scooby tuners and found three GFB BOV(Hybrid, WRX/STI Hybrid, and Stealth) that do that now which one would be the best, and how do they work.
    Whats the pros and cons of those, do they need a lot of maintnance, do i need to buy that adapter for the hose, and which one.
    SRY for a lot of questions but want to make this right.
    THNX a lot!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

posting and you <-----click here
    Last edited by blarg; 06-28-2006 at 10:35 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

well i was one of those wrx newbs that "had" to have a bov. ive had the GFB 50/50, HKS ssq, and the turbo XS. luckily all of them were from trade andno money was lost. in my experience
    bov's are just not needed until yor pushing over 20psi. the gfb wasn't so bad but it did sound rather week. the other two just caused rich conditions between shifts.
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

what about if u get the hks ssq bov and buy HKS BOV Recirc Fitting which will recerculate the air back into the intake, have no idea how loud it is. I luv the hks ssq but dont want to have problems like everyone states. that's why i researched and found this little piece. now only looking for someone who has one to ask how does it work for him.

"HKS SSQV Re-Circulation Fitting inserts enable the SSQV to reroute discharged compressed air back into the intake stream to create a closed loop system to prevent bogging / stumbling of rich air/fuel ratio conditions in mass-air sensor equipped vehicles"

Yes, a BOV question

My search was overwhelmed with BOV bashing and what not, and in short my question was not answered.

Now my plans are to go cobb stg. 2 and I want to get a BOV. Now I've read countless times that people say don't do it but it's my car and I want it. Now what I want to know is which BOV would I want to look for in order to not make my fuel mixture to rich between shifts. My friend told me that he was a 50/50 BOV in which half goes to atmos. and half goes to recirc. I can't find any like this yet but found something sorta close.

http://www.racecompengineering.com/product-engine4.htm

The blitz Blowoff Valve DD looks sweet with a low pressure port for city cruising and high pressure port for high acceleration. Can anyone help me out? I'd like to minimize my chances of a hurt engine.
    '06 WRX STI is in my near future, Stage 2 here I come

Registered User rallied out wrx's Avatar
    06 wrx + hks ssqv bov = no problems

the only times i felt any of the bad symtoms was after i got my catback and intake. then it ran a LITTLE rough. everything is smooth now with my pro tune.

hks ssqv bov FTW
    ^ thats alot of acronyms

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02nighthawksi
    ive got the same unit and i love it...

+ 1

Got HKS ssq on my FXT !
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Quote Originally Posted by frathouse87
    My search was overwhelmed with BOV bashing and what not, and in short my question was not answered.

Now my plans are to go cobb stg. 2 and I want to get a BOV. Now I've read countless times that people say don't do it but it's my car and I want it. Now what I want to know is which BOV would I want to look for in order to not make my fuel mixture to rich between shifts. My friend told me that he was a 50/50 BOV in which half goes to atmos. and half goes to recirc. I can't find any like this yet but found something sorta close.

http://www.racecompengineering.com/product-engine4.htm

The blitz Blowoff Valve DD looks sweet with a low pressure port for city cruising and high pressure port for high acceleration. Can anyone help me out? I'd like to minimize my chances of a hurt engine.
    It depends on what kind of noise you want.
    Car-less

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frathouse87
    I'd like to minimize my chances of a hurt engine.
    Here it goes. I will be your rude comment (there has to be at least one in every BOV thread).

Its a waste of money, yada yada, blah blah, unless your running a larger turbo its a worthless rice mod, more yada yada blah blah, poop.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=468038

This can help you out more than me.

</rude comment>

Like you said it is your car and you can do whatever you like to it. Good job on the stage 2 though. At least your not stock and want a BOV and a CAI. Good luck.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

BOV's are bad unless you tune for it...your going to be laughed at at any respectable wrx tuner but hey thats what you want.

APS's dual vent BOV is a 50/50 hybrid that lets half into the air and half recirc...that would be the one you would want to get...but since you want a BOV on your stage 2 car...your probably going for the crappy ricer sound...in which case you might want to get the HKS SSQV and tune for it.

Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi
    BOV's are bad unless you tune for it...your going to be laughed at at any respectable wrx tuner but hey thats what you want.

APS's dual vent BOV is a 50/50 hybrid that lets half into the air and half recirc...that would be the one you would want to get...but since you want a BOV on your stage 2 car...your probably going for the crappy ricer sound...in which case you might want to get the HKS SSQV and tune for it.
    I'd just like to point out that he meant crappy ricer sound not that the HKS BOV is crappy. From what I've heard and read on a few sites, it is one of the better BOVs, but it does have that insanely harsh BOV ricer sound (I think it's crappy), which you might like.

I just didn't want you to think that it was a crappy brand, just the sound is a little much for some of us. Also, make sure you take into account that you will hear that sound over and over, so if you have any doubts as to whether or not it will get to you after a day, a week, or a month, I would hold off on buying one.
    Car-less

worx dual stage 2 is sick from what i hear. but what do i know im stg2 with the stock recirc valve.
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

how can a bov have a ricey sound when most of the ricers cant even afford a turbo?
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    how can a bov have a ricey sound when most of the ricers cant even afford a turbo?
    Yet somehow their cars still go ppppssssfffttthhh pppppssssffffftttthhh, must be a treasured ricer secret.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

its not really the sound, but when a loud squeaky bov goes off how many times out of ten does some ricer shout awwww ish that things got tuuuuurbo!!!!one!!111
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123