"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 458
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; there is a high possibility that your car is running lean with the cai. this is something you won't even ...

there is a high possibility that your car is running lean with the cai. this is something you won't even know about untill it's too late
    I want my subie back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yup, and rich between shifts with the BOV, also extremely bad if you're running a catted uppipe. Leaving either on is probably the most irresponsible thing you can do regarding the life of your motor. But hey, its your car
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chromatica
    there is a high possibility that your car is running lean with the cai. this is something you won't even know about untill it's too late
    Well the BOV is making it run rich. I know that because it will pop occasionally inbetween shifts and BOV's are known to do that. My air/ratio meter is always green too especially at WOT even thogh I know those aren't that accurate. So, I really dout it's runnning lean. If anything it's making up for the BOV. Know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    yup, and rich between shifts with the BOV, also extremely bad if you're running a catted uppipe. Leaving either on is probably the most irresponsible thing you can do regarding the life of your motor. But hey, its your car
    I have a fully catless TBE, and running rich isn't going to hurt anything but my wallet. It's nothing compared to running lean

the bov only creates rich conditions between shifts while the intake would cause you to run lean constantly. so it's not really going to balance out.
    you could always pick up an accessport and flash stg2. that will more than make up for the lost power from the stock box.
    Last edited by chromatica; 05-03-2006 at 11:29 PM.
    I want my subie back.

Quote Originally Posted by jsxr600
    If anything it's making up for the BOV. Know what I mean
    um...no, it doesn't work that way.
    You really need to know what you're doing before you start plopping random parts on your car.

We're trying to help you out and tell you that you're hurting your motor.

If you want to make your car faster, a BOV and CAI are the WORST possible choices to make. Take 5 minutes and do a search for both on this site. Like I said, it's your motor man, we have nothing to loose, you do.
    Last edited by Kush; 05-04-2006 at 12:07 AM.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush
    no, it doesn't work that way.
    You really need to know what you're doing before you start plopping random parts on your car.

We're trying to help you out and tell you that you're hurting your motor, but do what you will, we've got nothing vested in the car.

If you want to make your car faster, a BOV and CAI are the WORST possible choices to make. Take 5 minutes and do a search for both on this site. Like I said, it's your motor man, we have nothing to loose, you do.
    You two are the only ones saying it's hurting the car. I bought the car with thses parts already on. Like I said my air/fuel is always in the green. Tell me how the BOV is hurting my car. The stock box makes the car lag. maybe my car is an exception. And I have also been told Accesports are garbage. they sell generic maps and no 2 cars run the same even with identical mods.I have read several posts of motors blowing. I am saving for an Ecutek and a tune at Ispeed. I not trying to say I know anything cause I am a nooby, I am just going by research.

we're the only 2 people telling you not to do it because we're the only 2 people awake at this hour

I would HIGHLY suggest that you read the stickies on this forum, especially the first good mods threads, as they ALL thoroughly discuss the negative affects of CAI's and BOV's to your engine. I would also suggest (again) that you do a search on this forum specifically for BOV's and CAI's, as you will quickly find out that you're not only NOT gaining any performance from your mods, but are actually hurting your car. Lastly, I don't know where you're getting your information from about any of this stuff, especially the AP, but sorry to say man, you're wrong.

Take a few minutes, educate yourself, and then make your own decisions.

Here's a few great threads to start your education with (took about 2 minutes of searching to find):
    Good first mods
    Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

Enjoy
    Last edited by Kush; 05-04-2006 at 12:04 AM.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

if your getting it tuned it doesn't matter what em you get and you can keep the cai. since you bought the car with those mods already on, then the previous owner has probably been running them since day one, so i'm sure damage has already been done
    I want my subie back.

I have read several posts of motors blowing.
    you mind sharing these posts? I've never heard of a motor blowing from using an AP, assuming it was used properly. I'd be curious to get some more info on this.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Riiiiight

Riiiiight
    so....what, you don't have anything to back your claims up with?
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Do you agree that all rex's run the same with the same mods? I know a couple people that know someone with a blown motor after installing an AP. The maps are generic.

Do you agree that all rex's run the same with the same mods? I know a couple people that know someone with a blown motor after installing an AP. The maps are generic.
    I'd be interested to read the posts you're talking about.
    And the Cobb maps are programed within certain parameters. So yes, assuming they are used with the mods they are designed for, all rex's will run within the parameters that the map was designed for. A protune will gain even more power, but don't you think that if motors were blowing up from the Cobb maps they'd do something about it, or at least we'd see some posts about it? I'm not saying you're lying, but I'd be curious to know why these motors are blowing on conservative Cobb maps, it's not like they're pushing extraodinary amounts of power, they're only boosting at 16-17psi or so, with supporting fuel and timing maps, there's nothing particularly dangerous about that.
    Last edited by Kush; 05-04-2006 at 12:51 AM.
    New England F4
    '02 BUGEYE
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chromatica
    if your getting it tuned it doesn't matter what em you get and you can keep the cai. since you bought the car with those mods already on, then the previous owner has probably been running them since day one, so i'm sure damage has already been done
    I was saying that to this post. I will hunt down those threads

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.