"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 455

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; if ya want a blow off vale get a 50/50 .Mine runs flawless ,no issues http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/blow.htm...

Banned
    if ya want a blow off vale get a 50/50 .Mine runs flawless ,no issues

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/blow.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    my two nuts

[image deleted by Trainrex]
    They look fine to me

Angry BOV or APS High Flow Cold Air Intake...?

Whats up Fellas!

Bought a New 2006 WRX about 2 months ago, looking to speed somethings up, was looking at either buying a BOV, but have heard how much a pain in the ass they can be and if you dont properly tune them, they are crap. But also was considering putting in the intake which i know would be a imporovement.....any suggestions?
    Also does anyone know any real good, decent priced, intercoolers, cause the stock one looks like garbage...compared to the STI model, and the aftermarket ones available.

save you're money for a Turbo back exhaust and some good engine management like Cobb AP or Utec....as anyone here will tell you, intakes don't do crap for our cars till you are putting down ~ 300 whp, and the stock BOV is great until you are hitting above 18lbs of boost wich most of us will never see, and even then there are no real perfomance gains...just a psshhhhhh
    Last edited by KritiKaL; 05-01-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    2003 WRX wagon-COBB stage 2

1970 240z-28,000 mi, unrestored original, mint

Stock intake
    Stock BOV
    I've experienced both of them...Save your $$$ and buy.....
    Stock exaust system

Now you know where I stand
    Stage II and loving it!

You might want to read the Engine Modification sticky. Generally, those two mods (with no other mods) will net no gains and possibly hurt your car. To each their own though, its your car. I opted to upgrade my suspension first, when I decide to do power mods, Im going straight to stage 2 (AccessPort and TBE) Which should get me a nice gain in speed.
    Canadian Tech Support:
    "ok, type su eh"
    Customer:
    $sua
    bash: sua: command not found
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Dont worry ma'am, we're college students, we know what we're doing"

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Here are some links I suggest you check out! PLEASE READ ASAP!!!!
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

Also, if you have the time: Posting and You...
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Thanks!

Hey Fellas!
    Thanks your responses have been a great help because when it comes to this, i have no clue, but just love to drive and have the greatest respect for my car. The Cobb AP, i checked there sight, it handles engine management, but i really dont understand fully, could you possibly explain it uses and benefits, for this dumb newby.
    Also since i have a 06 i dont need the Uppipe, but supposedly i would need a HF cat (downpipe)...? Also any ideas on the intercooler, is that a good buy, or idea, or am i still barking up the wrong tree.....?

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by INFARED
    Hey Fellas!
    Thanks your responses have been a great help because when it comes to this, i have no clue, but just love to drive and have the greatest respect for my car. The Cobb AP, i checked there sight, it handles engine management, but i really dont understand fully, could you possibly explain it uses and benefits, for this dumb newby.
    Also since i have a 06 i dont need the Uppipe, but supposedly i would need a HF cat (downpipe)...? Also any ideas on the intercooler, is that a good buy, or idea, or am i still barking up the wrong tree.....?
    First of all, I'd wait on an intercooler and work on getting a turbo-back exhaust and some form of Engine Management (i.e. the Cobb AP).

The Cobb AP is basically a mail-in tune. It's results are proven and it's a very popular mod. Most people buy a Cobb Stage 2 AP for around $600 and then find an aftermarket turbo-back exhaust.

Hmmm, I hope I answered what you were asking.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

The Cobb AP basically takes over your stock ECU and re-maps the fuel, timing and boost curves for higher performance. Or a simpler explanation would be, it increases the boost for more power, but also increases fuel delivery and changes the timing so that the power is increased saftely.

To see any power gains from the AP though, you'd need to load the Stage 2 map from it (the stage 1 map doesn't give you much power, but does increase the driveability). To load the Stage 2 map, you NEED to have at least an aftermarket downpipe installed, but a turbo-back would be even better.

If you go to www.CobbTuning.com, there's tons of info on it - they even sell "power packages" with a full Turbo back exhaust and AP, but you might be able to save money buying the AP and another TBE seperately.

Intercooler you don't need until you upgrade your turbo, as far as I know.

EDIT: sorry for being redundant, I was posting at the same time as Heather
    Last edited by Kush; 05-01-2006 at 12:52 PM.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Everyone has said what you need to hear, dude. I also have an '06, and I really suggest you get an AP first, and spend a lot of time behind the wheel before you go for the TBE. The powerband actually changes quite a bit, when you flash the Stage 1 map. Despite the fact that you don't see very big HP gains, you do see a much smoother powerband, which makes driving much more fun, and you see more power earlier, which makes your car seem quicker.

Heather described the AP as kind of a mail-in tune. This is an apt description, except you don't have to mail it anywhere. You buy the AP for your model-year. It comes loaded with a few "maps" from Cobb, and you can download more from Cobb or from other places. Also, once you have a few more mods, you can take your AP to a tuner, and they'll write maps specifically for your mods.

It gets a little wacky regarding basemaps v. real-time maps, but if you read the AccessPORT manual, you'll get the idea. It's really simple to use. It's definitely the way to go, though.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Get a Cobb AccessPORT. I have about 275whp on stock intake and bypass valve
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

You can get the BOV sound by taking out the air silencer. Your wrx allredy has a BPV(by pass valve) and i dose the samething that a BOV dose just for a car running lower than 20 LBS of boost. It creates the desired sound that you are looking for it is not al loud as a BOV is. My friend did it to his 04 wrx and it has created no problems to any part of his car. So you might want to look into doing this instead of buying a BOV and running the risk of damaging your car.

ya how do i do it??
    any instructions in this forum? didnt see any
    thnx though.

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Wow we were kind to this one.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.