"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 452

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yeah, PTFB (partial throttle full boost) is a MAJOR motor killer, and the #1 reason not to use an MBC. ...

yeah, PTFB (partial throttle full boost) is a MAJOR motor killer, and the #1 reason not to use an MBC.

just do a search for "PTFB"
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User finallygotmyrex's Avatar
    UPDATE:

Ok, so I took my car to the shob yesterday and they pulled the CEL code. The code it was throwing was a Turbo Wastegate Error... Something like that. Basically, me being the dummy that I am, I had installed the MBC incorectly.... Yes I know, I am an idiot. The MBC instructions require you to eliminate one input area around the turbo by putting a small rubber cap on it. I had the wastegate input capped!!! I know I know... Very bad. So the turbo was unable to vent the preasure from the boost I assume. So to make a long story short, the tech at the shop fixed my install and got rid of the CEL code and the car runs perfect... except for one small problem................

NO BOOST!!

I took the car and pushed it hard, on Route 66 (for any of you that are familiar) and redlined it in 3rd and 4th gear - NO FUELCUT! Thank god right? Well, the car was running amazingly, but the turbo wasnt spooling at all and I couldnt feel any boost what so ever. So I pulled over and cranked up the MBC like almost a full turn, and tried again.... No spool, no boost, nothing.

So I called the guy at the shop and he told me they will look at it today to see whats up. I still havnt installed my Boost Gauge yet because I don't want to do it myself and screw something else up and I'm broke so I can't pay someone to do it.

What do you guys think? Could the MBC be broken, or maybe could there be a leak in my turbo....? Also, the engine through anothe CEL last night but no fuelcut or boot spike, just the opposite - NO BOOST!!!

Sorry for the long post, I had to get this one off my chest.

Has anyone heard of this before? Pretty much the turbo is not working....

You shouldnt be doing ANY boost adjustments without a gauge, especially with an MBC - that's just asking for trouble. As far as why it's not working, I don't know how it's hooked up now so I can't really tell you, someone else might have a better answer for that.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

SPEEDETTE

LoL... nice Avatar... but all SRT-4s on the background..
    O2 WRBlue

(( MODs + Pics ))

put the stock t pipe in with the restrictor pill then sell the cai and mbc and get an uppipe

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by 4WDwRx
    SPEEDETTE

LoL... nice Avatar... but all SRT-4s on the background..
    LOL thanks! I know it's all SRT-4's but that's why the pink ranger is the best! Heeheehee, actually the avatar spawned from the hijack thread somewhere around page 321 lol.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...25257&page=321
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

umm ok this is what i want you to do i want you to drive to socal ill be waiting at my house im going install the boost gauge and take off the mbc and check it out it could be the mbc and the little bearing inside of is stuck but you should take it off anyway. does this sound good

+1 on taking the mbc off completely. If your strapped for cash try looking at some used parts in the future ; i.e. exhaust and cobb ap. If you get engine management it will control the boost of turbo safely. The cobb is easy enough for you to use and resonably priced. Make sure it is "unmarried" it is only designed to work on one car at a time. Good luck you got a good head on your shoulders for listening to theese guys and girl ( thats for you speedette )
    Hey guys, I'm back!!!

I know a vendor that sells silicone OEM-campatable hoses....$20 + $5 shipping for the set.

you just have to use your existing T's and restrictor pill...these don't dry out and crack like the stock hoses do.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by rx4mj
    +1 on taking the mbc off completely. If your strapped for cash try looking at some used parts in the future ; i.e. exhaust and cobb ap. If you get engine management it will control the boost of turbo safely. The cobb is easy enough for you to use and resonably priced. Make sure it is "unmarried" it is only designed to work on one car at a time. Good luck you got a good head on your shoulders for listening to theese guys and girl ( thats for you speedette )
    +1

And thanks
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Revert to stock and start over w/ Cobb AP Stg1 and go from there. They have an upgrade path that is far less likely to blow up your car than the one you are on with the MBC...

There are plentiful instructions on installing Boost gauges on this forum...i can't think of the thread off the top of my head but I am sure it is in one of the stickies mentioned before. If not somebody could point you in the right direction with it. It is not a hard install from what I have read...I have an Accessport, so no need for the boost gauge since it takes readings directly from the computer.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Sounds good folks, I will be taking the MBC off tonight. That damn thing has been nothing but trouble! As of now I am running 0 PSI boost and all motor.... Atleast thats how it feels.

After I remove the MBC and return that boost area back to stock, will the computer go back to stock boost after I reset the ECU? I am hoping so....

End of the month I am getting UTEC, that or AP. I'm also going to get some sort of exhaust system and a DP. Yippie! I cant wait.

Thanks for the input everyone, you guys have amazed me! I think with all of our efforts combined we could get any project, upgrade, or mod installed no question.

Quote Originally Posted by finallygotmyrex
    After I remove the MBC and return that boost area back to stock, will the computer go back to stock boost after I reset the ECU? I am hoping so....
    Yes, but make sure that you include the restrictor pill in the line from the T-fitting to the turbo, otherwise you'll just run wastegate pressure all day long, which is around 7psi I think. Other than that you'll go right back to stock psi, just make sure you dont mix up the vacuum lines (been there, not fun)
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

Cool, I will be attempting to install my Boost Gauge today so I can see how much boost I am running (if any at all)

After I install the guage, I'm going to get rid of the MBC - BACK TO STOCK!!!

I need to get UTEC...

Bov

Whats a good bov that has the whistle sound to it?