"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 449

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Chunks What a nightmare....

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunks
    What a nightmare.
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GPJamesMVT
    Is there a way to make the stock sti blowoff valve an atmospheric instead of recirculating?

Pull off the recirculation hose and then you have to find something to plug the hole on the inlet pipe. As far as what to use to plug the hole I don't know, sorry.

PS: You guys are worse than NASIOC.. chill out and let the guy experiment a little. If he finds his car runs like **** and he doesn't put it back to how it was then it's his own fault.
    2005 Aspen White/Gold STi
    TD06-20G 350whp on 93 octane

Registered User finallygotmyrex's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the input peoples. Negative, constructive, postive, I welcome all critisim and thoughts. I am new to cars in general, and I don't want to ruin my new Subaru. I am not going to drive it until the weekend, this being after I return the stock air system, fix the BOV and set the boost at the stock level.

Basically I have been going to a performance shop that doesnt give a damn about what I'm doing and is loving the $ I'm sending their way. It's funny becuase Im no dummy, but I ignorantly installed these mods before reading as much as possible.

My next purchase will be a turbo back and UTEC - then a tunning session.

I'm learning a lot, and I appreciate the replys from all.

Sounds like a good plan
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Banned
    Hey either plug that rubber plumb back hose or hook it up to recirculate.Then adjust the aps with the center set screw until the plunger seals closed at idle,on mine I recirculate and had to remove the nut that holds the hex screw in place to get it to stay closed at idle.Without the nut the set screw will still stay in place without loosening,just make a little mark with a marker just so you know that the adjustment is for future reference to where the set screw is.My APS idles just like stock with not blips whatsoevar

Quote Originally Posted by finallygotmyrex
    Thanks for all of the input peoples. Negative, constructive, postive, I welcome all critisim and thoughts. I am new to cars in general, and I don't want to ruin my new Subaru. I am not going to drive it until the weekend, this being after I return the stock air system, fix the BOV and set the boost at the stock level.

Basically I have been going to a performance shop that doesnt give a damn about what I'm doing and is loving the $ I'm sending their way. It's funny becuase Im no dummy, but I ignorantly installed these mods before reading as much as possible.

My next purchase will be a turbo back and UTEC - then a tunning session.

I'm learning a lot, and I appreciate the replys from all.
    Now your on the right track

you might also want to consider an up pipe, which is the best bang-for-the-buck mod IMO
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

Peachypumpkincheeks

Here are some good links, just for you!
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

P.S. Check out Cobb tuning, slightly perferred to UTEC. www.cobbtuning.com

I'm from Fairfax too! If you see me around, I'm in the blue bugeye WRX with IMPRZ ME plates. I take it you'll be in the WRX with the flames coming out of the hoodscoop?
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by rbwrx
    wow 3 worst mods you can do to a wrx.....all on one car haha. im surpirsed the thing hasnt exploded yet. i truley feel really really bad for your car. it dosent deserve this. like someone said before. sell it to someone who will take care of it and buy a honda

right! our car has an intake and a blow off valve already....why do you need such things?
    give me your money
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Here are some good links, just for you!
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

P.S. Check out Cobb tuning, slightly perferred to UTEC. www.cobbtuning.com

I'm from Fairfax too! If you see me around, I'm in the blue bugeye WRX with IMPRZ ME plates. I take it you'll be in the WRX with the flames coming out of the hoodscoop?

Flames?! It could be possible....

I live in Centreville, not sure if you are familiar. I drive a Black '03, stock body... for now. I was thinking you drove that crazy pink WRX.

Regarding my car, I hooked the APS BOV up properly last night and its now recirculating and idling just fine. I removed the AEM CAI (POS) and put my TurboXS shorty back on. I turned the Hallman MBC alllllllll the way down and reset the ECU (removed negative, pumped brakes, started car and let it sit for some time, turned it off and on again and pushed it hard for 5 minutes) Is this proper?

Later that night I was in low RPMs in third gear and I hit FUELCUT! Even after removing the poopy mods... It through a CEL again also.

I'm going to figure out the code and go from there.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Flames?! It could be possible....

I live in Centreville, not sure if you are familiar. I drive a Black '03, stock body... for now. I was thinking you drove that crazy pink WRX.

Regarding my car, I hooked the APS BOV up properly last night and its now recirculating and idling just fine. I removed the AEM CAI (POS) and put my TurboXS shorty back on. I turned the Hallman MBC alllllllll the way down and reset the ECU (removed negative, pumped brakes, started car and let it sit for some time, turned it off and on again and pushed it hard for 5 minutes) Is this proper?

Later that night I was in low RPMs in third gear and I hit FUELCUT! Even after removing the poopy mods... It through a CEL again also.

I'm going to figure out the code and go from there.
    Well good to hear it's idling correctly and that you fixed the BOV and tossed the CAI! Sorry I can't help you out technically with the fuel cut issue.

And yes! I know where Centreville is, I've probably even seen you around. And what do you mean by "crazy pink WRX"?! I'm actually getting my WRX painted to that pink color that is photoshopped in my avatar.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Well good to hear it's idling correctly and that you fixed the BOV and tossed the CAI! Sorry I can't help you out technically with the fuel cut issue.

And yes! I know where Centreville is, I've probably even seen you around. And what do you mean by "crazy pink WRX"?! I'm actually getting my WRX painted to that pink color that is photoshopped in my avatar.

I mean that car looks pretty cool with the pink body.... I'd love to see it on the road

Ok, I'm kinda a newbie, so bare with me folks. I have a 2003 WRX, with an AEM CAI (I hate this thing), APS BOV, and a recently installed Hallman Manual Boost Controller.

The BOV screwed up my cars idle, I have it rigged so it would be louder. I pluged the hose below the BOV area so there would be a larger hole for the BOV to vent... its sounds great but my car idles pretty bad. I didnt clamp the hose, might this be causing the ilde issue?

On to my next issue -- The Boost Controller was easy to install, and I turned it half way and I had great boost gains. Ive yet to install a Boost Gauge which is stupid I know, but I cant find a hole in the firewal for the gauge. Last night I ran my car and I noticed some drops in boost preasure when I pusehd the car kinda hard... Like, I would be revving and it would hit 5,000 and jolt and drop preasure. What causes this? Also, the damn turbo was glowing red after driving hard for 10 minutes!! I quickly turned the boost down and it hasnt glowed since.

I gotta get that gaughe installed

anyone wanna buy a used car?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

shut up fool, you arleady missed the bashing party. I took the CAI off and turned the boost to stock and also fixed the BOV.

shut up fool, you arleady missed the bashing party. I took the CAI off and turned the boost to stock and also fixed the BOV.
    I didn't miss it, I'm just fasionably late
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    I didn't miss it, I'm just fasionably late

a day late and a couple of gallons of fuel short ehhh blargie....ha

i had to say

my kingdom for a new wastegate
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    So if I'm stuck in a rut or something, it's mostly because I made a wrong decision somewhere and I need to correct myself out of it.