"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 448

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; will a ref pass me if i have a utec on my car? im running vf22 and sti pinks and ...

will a ref pass me if i have a utec on my car? im running vf22 and sti pinks and my car wont run well if i dont have the utec. mannnn i hope no cop tells me to go to a referee (knock on wood)
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Man im so glad i live here where the caps dont give a rip. I drive my race truck around with out a front clip and open exhaust around and if I drive by a cop they dont even give me a second look lol.

On their website Borla states that all their street exhaust components are 50 - state legal.

cant you find someone to illegally smog your car it might cost 200 but at least you wont have to go through all that hastle.

Registered User finallygotmyrex's Avatar

Glowing Turbo, BOV Rig, and Idle....

Ok, I'm kinda a newbie, so bare with me folks. I have a 2003 WRX, with an AEM CAI (I hate this thing), APS BOV, and a recently installed Hallman Manual Boost Controller.

The BOV screwed up my cars idle, I have it rigged so it would be louder. I pluged the hose below the BOV area so there would be a larger hole for the BOV to vent... its sounds great but my car idles pretty bad. I didnt clamp the hose, might this be causing the ilde issue?

On to my next issue -- The Boost Controller was easy to install, and I turned it half way and I had great boost gains. Ive yet to install a Boost Gauge which is stupid I know, but I cant find a hole in the firewal for the gauge. Last night I ran my car and I noticed some drops in boost preasure when I pusehd the car kinda hard... Like, I would be revving and it would hit 5,000 and jolt and drop preasure. What causes this? Also, the damn turbo was glowing red after driving hard for 10 minutes!! I quickly turned the boost down and it hasnt glowed since.

I gotta get that gaughe installed

Oh yeah, there has also been a CEL ever sine I rigged the APS BOV to be open to atmosphere...

I Support ClubWRX
    For one the BOV will hurt your idle period and it does little more then make you feel cool. The intake is no good either as it's also more then likely hurting idle/performance.

As for your BC what year is your car. If your car is 04+ the BC is a bad idea as the stock ecu has a OL/CL issue which can cause major detination which sounds like you might be suffering from.

The ECU is probaly getting pulling timing from your car like a mother up top. God only knows how much boost your actually putting through your motor. Search and get some good EM on this car before you blow it up.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Its a 2003 2.0L WRX. I'm deffinately going to drop the CAI and put my TurboXS Short Ram back on. I just didnt want to be sucking hot air into my engine but I guess the air gets hot either eay once it hits the turbo...

I turned the BC wayyy down, I guess I am experiencing "fuel cuts" because of the BC. I'm getting a turbo back next week and soon a UTEC and then off to the Dyno.

u should sell ur car and get a honda . the turbo was glowing cause it was being over spent . the plug for the boost guage is looking at the motor under the intercooler and to the right a tad. i would suggest selling all that crap. get stock air box with either sti filter of a filter with out oil . as for the boost controller im suprised u even hooked it up with out a boost guage . u dont even know what psi u are at get rid of that too take that money get a cobb ap better gains and safer on ur motor. my 2 cents is ur need ur car repoed .

People mod their cars without any research and wonder why their **** seizes on them within a month.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hook the BOV up properly (ie recirculate it like it's designed to do) and your idle problem will be gone. The APS bov is actually a great unit and will allow your car to run like stock with a little extra sound.

That cut-off at 5krpms means you're f**king up your car. Turn your boost controller down NOW. In fact, take it off. Either get a boost gauge and then reinstall it when you know what the hell you're doing, or leave it off. I would suggest you do A LOT of research before you continue modifying your car. You're gonna break it in a bad way if you continue down the path you're on. These cars can make good power if you do things right, but they're super sensitive when you do something wrong...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    Hook the BOV up properly (ie recirculate it like it's designed to do) and your idle problem will be gone. The APS bov is actually a great unit and will allow your car to run like stock with a little extra sound.

That cut-off at 5krpms means you're f**king up your car. Turn your boost controller down NOW. In fact, take it off. Either get a boost gauge and then reinstall it when you know what the hell you're doing, or leave it off. I would suggest you do A LOT of research before you continue modifying your car. You're gonna break it in a bad way if you continue down the path you're on. These cars can make good power if you do things right, but they're super sensitive when you do something wrong...
    AMEN!!!
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

Yo man, get the HKS boost cut defender and your car wont cut off at 5k rpm anymore. It'll be sweet! Rig that shiznit up.
    [/sarcasm]

On a serious note... just to let you know, my WRX is around 285awhp with a larger turbo and I am still running my stock intake, stock bov, and I was running with my stock boost controller for a while until I got a good electronic one. Put your car back to stock and get exhaust and a Cobb Accessport before you break something.
    Last edited by hellafastWRX; 04-03-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

wow 3 worst mods you can do to a wrx.....all on one car haha. im surpirsed the thing hasnt exploded yet. i truley feel really really bad for your car. it dosent deserve this. like someone said before. sell it to someone who will take care of it and buy a honda
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

What a nightmare.