"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 446

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; just can't understand why so many people are running bovs knowning that they are bad. I do have to say ...

just can't understand why so many people are running bovs knowning that they are bad. I do have to say they do sound awesome. But what is wrong here is that us suby owners are suppost to work together and share our knowledge on how to get the most power out of our vehicles, but what some of us are doing is buying bovs realizing they f--- with our engines and then we sell them to fellow suby owners knowing that it is going to blow their car up next. That's called disrespect i think. f----- up! anybody else feel that way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=bigd]Because it gets old, if you're so "schooled" in the way of "forums" you should know the search button IS the best resource. Most everyone here has done the homework, why shouldn't you? Laziness? Lack of resourcefulness? We ARE a community, we are willing to help someone who is willing to help themselves. If someone comes to your door and asks for $5 because they live in your neighborhood, will you oblige? NO, of course not. But what if they've earned it? Sure! You get what you give, this forum doesn't exist to give handouts. Everyone must contribute.

First of all, I never said I was "schooled" in the way of anything....and YES I know the search button is very useful. I am just trying to combat a point from the perspective of someone who IS new and maybe not 100% familiar with how this whole thing works. Jumping all over soneone's back for asking a question (whether it's been asked once or 1000 times, it doesn't matter) is just plain wrong. As far as the "handouts", that's garbage because not EVERY person who reads posts on this forum is a member, TONS of this advice is free, or a "handout" to those who are not a member.

Anyway, we have all hijacked this guy's thread for the sake of argument.

Can't we all just get along? (sarcasm because obviously, as stated, this IS a community that does get along very well...it's such a nice change from the Nissan forum I was a part of for years).

Quote Originally Posted by REXtard04
    I may be new to THIS forum, but definitely not new to how these forums work. Be considerate like a "community" (as the title of this forum indicates) should be, instead of slamming someone down for having a general question about something they would consider doing. SOME people (not in this guy's case) have a harder time grasping concepts as written and need the input from people with experience, not sarcastic jokes about being a NEWB, or NOOB, or whatever else is used.

CLICHE....if you don't have something nice or beneficial to say, don't say anything at all.
    I hear ya, but... there is a sticky, in this section of the forum even, that lists a thread about BOVs. So, I have a sign on the door to my community that says "Please read this if you have questions about the following:" and this new guy, who doesn't even have the respect for my community to read any of this stuff, comes busting through the front door to ask, "Hey guys, what's noisiest, useless POS I can buy for my car?". After about three of these a day, sometimes people aren't normally as cordial as they might otherwise be. Also simply ignoring people isn't welcoming either.

Basically the WRX is now in its fifth year in the USDM, honestly if you have a question chances are that someone has already needed to ask it in the last five years. Search, 90+% of the time it's already there.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Hey newbie,If no one else wants to help I will.Some say bov are bad for the wrx and they are right if its a 100% atmospheric witch will throw your maf sensor into what the hell mode simple tirms it adds way more fuel because its acounting for the air that is supposed to be recirculated but the bov is letting out.I hve the Go Fast Bits 50/50 bov witch i've had no problems with.It doesn't give the rfl sound but a nice swoosh sound.Befor everyone burns me for saying this i've had it on for almost 2 years i race in scca events and am a ase certified tech i've data logged on a mac tools taskmaster scan tool and when the 50/50 blows off it only changed the air/fuel ratio by 1% hope this helps if you need more just send me a message

oh man, how the hell did I miss this thread???

I'm laughin my ass off right now

DO A SEARCH it's not that hard
    Sh*t, you don't even NEED to do a search - if you had read anything in the section you posted your question in, you would have seen enough threads about BOVs to keep you busy for hours - especially if there's a sticky thread about the EXACT subject, in the EXACT forum that you posted in, as wrx wagone pointed out.

Some people are just special, you gotta hold their hand from time to time

Don't worry, I've done it too...
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    You guys are mean. This is the first time I've seen this question, and I would also like the answer.

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by svttech
    Hey newbie,If no one else wants to help I will.Some say bov are bad for the wrx and they are right if its a 100% atmospheric witch will throw your maf sensor into what the hell mode simple tirms it adds way more fuel because its acounting for the air that is supposed to be recirculated but the bov is letting out.I hve the Go Fast Bits 50/50 bov witch i've had no problems with.It doesn't give the rfl sound but a nice swoosh sound.Befor everyone burns me for saying this i've had it on for almost 2 years i race in scca events and am a ase certified tech i've data logged on a mac tools taskmaster scan tool and when the 50/50 blows off it only changed the air/fuel ratio by 1% hope this helps if you need more just send me a message
    Thank you savior of newbness.. You didn't even read the thread. We've already helped him understand why BOVs are bad, and we even mentioned 50/50 recircs. Way to be a noob.

First of all, I never said I was "schooled" in the way of anything....
    yeah you did.
    I may be new to THIS forum, but definitely not new to how these forums work.
    (ok not word-for-word)... I understand your point of defense, but we jumped all over him because he "claimed" he searched, but even self-admitted he was too lazy to read through the results, or even attempt to narrow the results with a more refined search. That's all.
    Dave
    01 RS

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Rice: Excessive parts that are for looks and sounds rather than performance. Rice is for imports.
    Wheat: is for domestics.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Serious BOV question.

I need to get a BOV/bypass valve soon because my stock one is leaking on occasion at 19.5psi. I found a good deal on a GFB 50/50. I am just asking if anyone has one on an aftermarket TMIC. My WORX bov did not fit over my Hyperflow TMIC flange, and I just want to make sure this will.

Thanks
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Chris, I have a gfb 50/50 if you wanna try it out. If it works, we can trade the valves if you want.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

How to remove BOV, restore to stock?

Hi, this is my first post. If I find a used WRX and it has a BOV how difficult and expensive is it to return to stock? What if the seller doesn't have the original parts? What are the original parts? I'm a good shade tree mechanic but I don't know much about the specifics of the WRX or about turbos.

More broadly, till I started reading this forum I thought all turbos had a BOV, I thought that was what kept the psi form getting to high. What regulates the pressure on a stock WRX?

When people use the term BOV - they're generally referring to a compressor bypass valve that vents air to the atmosphere. The stock WRX is equipped with a bypass valve (and a good one at that) to prevent compressor surge, but it is setup to route air back into the intake tract. In MAF equipped cars like the WRX, all that air that is being vented out when you close the throttle has already been metered by the MAF and when it doesn't reach the intake manifold, you have a rich condition because the ECU has already adjusted for the airflow. With the stock, and other recirculating BPV's, this air is sent back into the intake so the metered air does not change and create a rich condition.

To answer the second part of your question, you're thinking of the turbo's wastegate and the boost control solenoid. The wastegate is basically a door on the exhaust side of the turbo that will open at a specific boost pressure as determined by the weight of a spring in the wastegate acuator. When the boost hits the target level, the door opens, preventing the turbo from building more pressure. The stock wastegate spring is set around 7psi. What allows the WRX to build stock boost of 14psi is the boost control solenoid. This solenoid is mounted in-line between a pressure source on the manifold and the wastegate actuator. This, in conjunction with the ECU reduces the amount of pressure going to the wastegate. So when the pressure in the manifold hits 14 psi, the wastegate sees 7 and opens at that point.
    New England F4
    -----------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE!!!

VF22/FMIC/UTEC/Pinks/ACT/STi RA's/Apex'i N1 Type-V's - Tuned at XXTuning, 270 WHP/ 270 TQ @ 18.5psi. 12.697@ 108.95

I found the answer on Nasioc. I will have to shave down the BOV flange a little and it will fit fine.

Myke: I would trade with you before the weekend but my car isnt going to be ready for a few more days.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Banned
    I have a APS dual vent recirculating.It runs flawlessly.Just some adjustments with the screw and no idle dips or hesitation.I used to have piece of crap obx BOV and swapped it out for the APS.

Yeah, no probs Chris. If you do want the GFB50/50, I have it in silver. It is on my car but can always throw back on the stock valve. I have tried to put the stock one on but it isn't so easy without taking off the intercooler.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::