"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 441
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; man **** living in cali.....I could not take all those insane laws!...

man **** living in cali.....I could not take all those insane laws!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

koretex, you f**king bet. I rightfuly hate this.
    So, anybody knows if having a cat near/in the midpipe (or in axle-back, if it's altogether possible) will get my smog to normal?

Oh, here's the funny part. Just remembered.
    He took a picture of my engine with an aftermarket BOV. He put a paper inside with his name, badge # and a date I think. So I guess putting a stock BOV won't help... Or maybe it will.. I wish they gave clear instructions.. the cop just said "Well I dunno, you gotta show the car to the referee ASAP"

he took the picture so you wont put the stock parts back on and try to fight the ticket. its his evidence. but again make sure everything is stock when you take it because the referee is soo anal about everything
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

The problem is that I can't. It'll be easier to get a new car or shoot myself in the head.
    I'll try tot alk to dealerhsip tomorrow and see what they can do. I'm so *****ed.

ha ha well if you decide to kill yourself i can take care of your car j/k, you have to get it refereed before the court date so you should have enough time to get the parts
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

Well here's another little fact that makes my life even so much more enjoyable in SoCal - I can't even drive my car until it's "in compliance".

"vehicle must be removed from the roadway immediatly and may not be driven until in compliance".. ah.. sexy

anyway, anybody knows a good phone number where I can find out for sure which parts are legal and get info on the exact wording of the violation?

<--- 3500 miles away from Cali
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry02
    i already said this... if you have a catless exhaust, then there are no cats to break up and get sucked into the turbo. i forgot to mention that i am looking into a 50/50 BOV, i know it still meters the air getting vented but i feel better that "half" should be recirculated. my question is i guess running rich with no cats will give you what problems? it is only rich between shifts so it cant cause that much damage since i will have not cats to get burnt up?
    I don't think you would have any problems if you didn't have any cats, but why would you bother? The stock BPV will hold up to about 19lbs. of boost without a problem. Your car will run like crap with an aftermarket BOV unless tuned for it. Spend the $$$$ on a mod worth while like a Turbo back exhaust, an access port, rims, tires, etc.

Lucky you...
    Only when sleeping do we make no mistakes. Mistakes are the privilege of the active person, who can start over and put things right. Ingvar Kamprad.

Here are the facts.

You will fail both visual and smog inspection if you have anything other than the stock bov on. That goes for hybrid bovs and other aftermarket bpvs.

I don't know where you got that 28 dB law from, but the law is that your muffler cannot exceed over 95 dB. That means that if your exhaust exceeds that noise at anywhere from 3500-4500 rpms, you will fail for noise (CVC 27151).

I don't know what twin tip Hks hi flow catback exhaust you're talking about, but if your running anything other than the stock downpipe/midpipe, you will fail both visual and smog inspection (I think it's CVC 27156 but I could be wrong).

Now you can leave the catback itself on and no other exhaust part, if u know for sure it'll pass noise. Fyi, I was tested at the ref with an Hks Hi Power catback and I barely passed the noise test. It was somewhere in the 93.7 dB range.

Yep I was wrong about the 28db, misread something.
    I want to get some db measuring device (maybe in the guitar store or something) to measure the volume.. I think that it's below that level, it's not that loud really.
    The smog - I almost passed it when I was buying the car, so I think having 1 cat at the end (that'll make 2, since I have one in downpipe area I think) will be fine.
    If I pass the volume test and smog test - will they still make me put stock parts on? That'd be idiotic.

By the way, should I take it to them first, see what they say, redo what they consider illegal, and then come back? Or should I come with already "legal" car the first time?
    Only when sleeping do we make no mistakes. Mistakes are the privilege of the active person, who can start over and put things right. Ingvar Kamprad.

Sorry to hear bout that man...

But for people in Florida this is just FYI... it is illegal to modify your stock exhaust system i.e. change the muffler barrel and ect... its like a 80 $ ticket i think ... if your in Orange County just be nice and the D/S and they might just give you warning

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDvr
    Yep I was wrong about the 28db, misread something.
    I want to get some db measuring device (maybe in the guitar store or something) to measure the volume.. I think that it's below that level, it's not that loud really.
    The smog - I almost passed it when I was buying the car, so I think having 1 cat at the end (that'll make 2, since I have one in downpipe area I think) will be fine.
    If I pass the volume test and smog test - will they still make me put stock parts on? That'd be idiotic.

By the way, should I take it to them first, see what they say, redo what they consider illegal, and then come back? Or should I come with already "legal" car the first time?

You don't want to mess around when it comes to the state ref. It isn't like your local smog station where you can pay to get it tested and have no penalties for a test only to see if you failed or not.

Now I don't know what happens if you fail at the state ref for smog failure, but chances are, you'll end up paying some big fines. If you'd rather do that then to pay maybe $80 to go back to stock, then go ahead and risk it

Problem is I don't have stock exhaust anywhere. I'll have to buy it. Besides, driving a stock WRX will be painful, and putting aftermarket on again - I will still run a risk of repeating it all..
    That's why I'm looking for an aftermarket exhaust setup which will be legal

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.