"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 43
Page 43 of 789 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143543 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm a little farther, about 25 miles. Traffic was pretty poor. Just as a note: I dislike driving with the ...

I'm a little farther, about 25 miles. Traffic was pretty poor.

Just as a note: I dislike driving with the A/C on in rush hour traffic. It jerks more.

This was even more jerky PLUS it had hesitation with low throttle.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It really sounds like my problem, so I guess I would be alright driving it home, just have to live with it stuttering all the time. I hate idle, thats when you think it is about to stall, and when you put on some gas you get stutter still, no matter what rpm you are at.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

why did you replace the BOV? you're mods don't really need a new BOV to support anything they are putting out.

dR

Like most others I wanted the sound, but now I am thinking twice about doing it.

My Mods

sounds like a vacuum leak. when you installed the BOV did you clean off the IC mounting flange nice and clean and use the supplied gasket to install? may just need a little tightening. also check your vac lines to make sure one didnt pop off and also check bottom connection on BOV to make sure it didnt come loose.

It has to be something very basic.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

My 2 cents from a novice. First any other recent mods? If not likely an install error. If not install, try resetting the ECU. I'm wondering if some kind of quirky MAP/fuel map thing got inadvertently quirky if BOV spring malfunctioned. Lastly, check if there is any major scoring or pitting in the slide mechanism. My Turbo XS malfunctioned because the piston/slide was pitted by a peice of gravel!

I left the stock black stuff on the BOV flange on the IC, I didn't know if I should have taken it off, looked like I would need to scrape it off. The only hose I can't see is the one right under the intercooler, but I did not take that one off. Although I unmounted the IC so I could work a little easier, maybe it got unhooked, but I doubt it. Did anyone else take off that black stuff on the flange for their BOV's?

Also when you say check the bottom connection on the BOV is that the piece that I took off the stock BOV and screwed onto the APS one?

My Mods

Well I think I may have found the problem, but I need to find some tools around the office to try and fix it and see if it works. It looks like one of my samco hoses that comes from the BOV is not flush with the air intake anymore. Some how it must have be pulled a couple CM away from being flush when I was installing the BOV. I listened to that area with the car idle and I could hear a slight hissing noise like a small amount of air was leaking. I assume once I make this connection flush with the airbox it will fix my problem.

I am also guessing that the reason I did not have this problem until this morning is because it slowly got further away from being flush and when I hit 5k rpm this morning it caused it to move enough were it let a small amount of air escape.

I am suprised how such a small thing can cause such problems, I have so much to learn.

My Mods

I used the stock gasket, which was left on the IC as well. I have never had a problem with leaking. Just check everything, this definitely sounds like a leak to me.

-Jim

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    I left the stock black stuff on the BOV flange on the IC, I didn't know if I should have taken it off, looked like I would need to scrape it off. The only hose I can't see is the one right under the intercooler, but I did not take that one off. Although I unmounted the IC so I could work a little easier, maybe it got unhooked, but I doubt it. Did anyone else take off that black stuff on the flange for their BOV's?

Also when you say check the bottom connection on the BOV is that the piece that I took off the stock BOV and screwed onto the APS one?
    yeah, I made sure to clean off the black stuff to have a clean mounting surface. Yes to piece off stock BOV. I am betting that one of you IC hoses came loose on one end or another, they are a b*tch to get back on and tightened down. If you boost/vac gauge is showing less vacuum at idle then it was before install you must have a vac leak somewhere=loose hose connection or popped off hose.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

if you want a noisemaker you need a 100% atm. in 50/50 valves under most driving conditions, the air gets sucked back into the intake (they're not really 50/50...the just blow off the air the motor doesn't really NEED). At WOT its definately louder...but most of the time its a fairly quiet sound.

try disconnecting your stock valve and plugging up the return hose first if you don't mind the hit in drivability and performance before you go out and buy one...an aftermarket valve will be louder (or at least sound different) but the loss in drivability will be exactly the same. You'll notice the motor not running as smoothly and hesitation durring shifts....I also thought that the sound was TOO loud and TOO LONG when I set up my GFB 100% just to see.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

well the part that I thought wasn't flush was actually as far as it would go, it actually just had a little 3 cm lip before the air intake hose. But I took off the IC and checked the other hoses and everything seemed fine. I just hope it works now, even though I still don't know where the exact problem was/is.

My Mods

I just took it out for a test drive, taking it only up to 3k rpm and the problem seems to be gone. Hopefully its gone for good, but I will keep it under 3k on the way home and then test it more around my house.

My Mods

thank you
    everythin seems fine , whin i wot in first it hits 9 or 10 psi. thank you very much for the help.

Thanks for your advice. Since all of you have definently convinced me it's not worth trying i just might buy one since it's not too expensive. anyway thanks for the advice.
    autobahn storming scooby