"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 424
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it the recirculating Forge or the atmospheric? http://forgemotorsport.com/content.a...duct=FMDVSU110 springs are color coded...

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it the recirculating Forge or the atmospheric?
    http://forgemotorsport.com/content.a...duct=FMDVSU110 springs are color coded
    Last edited by Donkey; 12-24-2005 at 08:13 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What comes installed in it?

I Support ClubWRX
    The green one.The recirulating divertor valve is what you want.If you have the atmospheric its going to do the same as all the rest,because of course,its venting to atmosphere.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I have the VTA one and the car runs fine but it came with a green, yellow, and red spring and it was brand new so did mine come with the blue installed? and if so should i change it out?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06STIGUY
    I have the VTA one and the car runs fine but it came with a green, yellow, and red spring and it was brand new so did mine come with the blue installed? and if so should i change it out?
    You will have to take it apart and check.The blue is rated for 23-30psi so considering 1-3rd gear is like 11psi changing it might be a good idea if it is the blue.With a spring weight that high it will be hard for it to open at lower boost.You want the spring that is closest to your max boost.I would use the yellow as the very,very max and the green would be my first choice.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well it didnt take long for me to put my stock recirc valve back on and put my forge up for sale lol...changed it out tonight. Long story short i put the stocker back on to troubleshoot something and the performance dif was night and day the car felt like a whole dif beast so bye bye to the cool ppsshhhhh

dont feel bad... just about every BOV thread ends this way..

going back to the stocker because it simply does the job the best (especially when stock)... there is no way around this fact
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06STIGUY
    Well it didnt take long for me to put my stock recirc valve back on and put my forge up for sale lol...changed it out tonight. Long story short i put the stocker back on to troubleshoot something and the performance dif was night and day the car felt like a whole dif beast so bye bye to the cool ppsshhhhh
    When you have 5 diferent Subaru forms agreeing that atmospheric BOV's suck,that would be a clue!

http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm

From Cobbs forums:http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...3;t=005714;p=2

GarySheehan
    SMR Driver Extraordinaire & Team Manager
    Member # 2019

posted 03-20-2004 04:25 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's the deal. With the recirculating blow off valve, when the throttle plate is closed, pressurized air is sent into the intake post MAF. This volume of air goes back through the compressor of the turbo, since it is still spinning very fast, back into the intercooler. At the same time, airflow through the MAF has virtually stopped since there is pressurized air coming from the blow-off valve. Also, everyone is fogetting that the engine is still consuming air at a reasonably fast pace, even though the throttle is closed. The small volume of pressurized air in the intercooler will be relieved in a relatively short time even with a closed throttle. Very little air, if any, should be force back past the MAF since the engine is still consuming air.

With a partial or full atmospheric venting BOV, the air that the MAF has accounted for is gone. The airflow through the MAF does not slow down since all the pressurized air has been vented to atmosphere, but the engine is still consuming air. Therefore, when you go back to on-throttle, the MAF has told the ECU that there is more air in the system than there actually is. The ECU signals the injectors for the appropriate amount of fuel for the air that the MAF has accounted for (which just went out your BOV). Hence the momentary rich condition. It only stays rich for as long as it would take the engine to consume the incorrect volume of air.

We used a 100% BOV at a few of our races. Where it's very noticeable is mid-corner partial throttle. The driver is modulating the gas pedal going into boost and coming back out, in quick succession. During this time the engine is going through mutliple cycles of rich condition. Throttle response suffers, there are momentary hiccups in power delivery after throttle application and the driveability of the engine is not optimal. This happened with two different makes of atmospheric BOVs.

We went back to the stock BOV and partial throttle driveability went back to being perfect.

It's too bad, because I really enjoyed the sound of the BOV on the track. But then again, when racing, you can't sacrifice performance for asthetics.

Gary
    Sheehan Motor Racing
    www.teamSMR.com
    Last edited by Donkey; 12-26-2005 at 07:22 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

BOV and Exhaust question

I'm a noob to this forumn and this might be a bad question and might also be in the wrong place, so please no harsh comments. For an 02 wrx, does anyone know the exhaust set-up and BOV that would make the car sound like roman's eclipse in 2F2F. I like the sound of my car now, but for some reason just wanna see if I can make it sound like his. Thanks!

Ok i'll answer this before anyone decides to flames you.

For the 2nd movie, I believe they contracted Mitsubishi and HKS for car related things. So my guess would be the HKS BOV (which sounds like an eagle) and one of thier exhausts (the hi power?) I don't recall if the tip was slanted or not. I haven't seen the movie in a long time.

I'm not 100% sure on this though so do not quote me on it.

~ myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

get ur fame suit on FAST

you have balls to ask a question like that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club! I suggest you browse around a bit more to see what the mindset is here. It is NOT 2F2F.

2F2F is not a popular movie here in terms of mods. The sound you refer to? Any movie can take any piece of audio to match up with a particular scene - this is done a lot. The sound you like and are after was likely NOT made by the car you are looking to emulate.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Welcome to the club! I suggest you browse around a bit more to see what the mindset is here. It is NOT 2F2F.

2F2F is not a popular movie here in terms of mods. The sound you refer to? Any movie can take any piece of audio to match up with a particular scene - this is done a lot. The sound you like and are after was likely NOT made by the car you are looking to emulate.

good point...

also our imprezas makes the signature "boxer rumble" and will likely never sound like an inline 4. (even if you put equal length headers on it).

Lolol, I was trying to be nice and TRIED to help

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Forge BOV?

I have been doing some reading and the Forge BOV is really starting to grow on me.. does anyone know if it is available for the 2006 WRX?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.