"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 421
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; teh bov makes the girlies go crazy....

  1. #6301
    Registered User Thursday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    1,651
    teh bov makes the girlies go crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #6302
    Registered User TOOFAST88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Champaign/Buffalo Grove, IL
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Thursday
    teh bov makes the girlies go crazy.
    or think that you're car needs something fixed , I've gotten both reactions...
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

  4. #6303
    Registered User wrxtuner2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    or think that you're car needs something fixed

    Thats only from the dumb blondes

  5. #6304
    Registered User TOOFAST88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Champaign/Buffalo Grove, IL
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtuner2006
    Thats only from the dumb blondes
    Yea its ok, because they usually get distracted by the next loud noise/sudden movement anyway
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

  6. #6305
    Registered User scooby888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Put a different intake on, supposedly Perrin's wont cause any problems.
    I know someone who put the Perrin short ram intake on and his sound rivals my HKS SSQV BOV...it was the weirdest thing!

  7. #6306
    Registered User Thursday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    or think that you're car needs something fixed , I've gotten both reactions...
    hahah when I had my Integra we had a sweet thread over on team-integra about some of the stupid things people have said or asked about our cars, it was one of the best threads ever it was hallarious
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

  8. #6307
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,936
    Sorry, I just had to point out that little thing. It's kind of like a doctor not knowing which side of the body the heart is on, or a teacher not knowing how to spell school. Just somewhat odd if that's going to be your chosen trade, and somewhat funny if you didn't just go into it.

    http://features.evolutionm.net/article/machvcorner/29 Supporting
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468038 Supporting

    Again we're back to Benefits = 0 on a mildly modded car.
    Would you care to list the negatives again that you listed above and count those up?

    I'm grasping at anything because you're not reading anything. Go argue with Dan @ MachV after this if you'd like. He actually does this for a living and I'm sure he's spent more time under the hoods of cars than "parroting" what he found in his text books online.

    I'm done with this, I've proven my point and provided documents from professionals proving that ATM BOV's are nothing but a stupid noisemakers and have more negatives than positives.

    Again if the original poster wants an unbiased source(I admitttedly hate show off valves) he can search on his own and draw his own conclusion. I know what he'll find.

    Also, If he wants to save money and not have any of the downsides of a BOV he can sell it and get a kazoo.You don't even have to hit the gas pedal for it to make noise. I'm sure they even sell JDM ones for the uber import fanatics.

    Thank god for the Ignore feature & Best of luck with shcooal.


    Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Wow, after all of that you come back by telling me I cant spell, yea spelling has never been one of my strong points, your point with that is? Yea thats really pertinent to your argument, all my information must be wrong because I cant spell right? ... I'm going to school to be a Tech not an English major, I'm sorry if my spelling isnt up to your high standerds, its a hell of alot better than alot what I see on these boards.

    The information came from my textbook, that doesnt mean that I'm sitting here copying it verbatim out of the book, (actually the books were in my car) if I had to copy it out of the textbook then I probably wouldnt have a 98% GPA in class right now.

    And where did you ever get that I was a first year student from? you dont know me and have no idea where I've been to school or what I have done for a living.

    I guess when you dont know what your talking about the only thing you have left to argue with is spelling, I'm glad you know so much about cars and didn't even know what cold start enrichment was must be your pride is just to inflated to admit you might be wrong so you have to grab for whatever you can reach, even I can admit that I cant spell.

    And so far I have never seen a single professional state that an atmospheric BOV will damage anything, I've heard pleanty of them state that it wont improve performance on a close to stock vehicle (which is true), but I have yet to see any acounts of one actually damaging anything (the rumour that your perpetuating).

  9. #6308
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,936
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby888
    I know someone who put the Perrin short ram intake on and his sound rivals my HKS SSQV BOV...it was the weirdest thing!

    I personally hate the BOV sound & wish that I could find a quiet bov for my setup.

    The only positive side to an intake is that you actually may need it down the road if you chose to mod your car beyond the limits of the stock airbox. .

  10. #6309
    Registered User le wagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,167
    in case you're interested still.. i believe APS makes one that recirculates and vents.. search in the vendors page and im sure you'll find it.

    EDIT: Gruppe-S now offers APS!
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

  11. #6310
    Registered User cheeseybacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chambersburg, PA
    Posts
    5,001
    This reminds me of the time I had that an arguement about boost controllers with that idiotic Braden guy. No matter how much hard evidence was brought to his attention, he still bullheadedly insisted otherwise.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  12. #6311
    Registered User zulater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    101
    last time i checked fouling the spark plugs damages them and lowers performance.

  13. #6312
    Registered User scooby888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    309
    I thought BOV's were needed when exceeding 22psi on an upgraded turbo or something like that? In fact I think my friend's Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 blew out my stock BOV completely with whatever power it makes. Somewhat of a noob here on this though.

    I still love the BOV sound...especially since I am now tuned for it...

  14. #6313
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,936
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby888
    I thought BOV's were needed when exceeding 22psi on an upgraded turbo or something like that? In fact I think my friend's Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 blew out my stock BOV completely with whatever power it makes. Somewhat of a noob here on this though.

    I still love the BOV sound...especially since I am now tuned for it...
    Tuned for a bov? if you're running a MAF you're not, I don't know that speed density even allows you to be tuned for it. I know I still had some problems with stall & afterfires from running rich. .. but that could be me and could be caused by tons of ****.

    I've read that around 19PSI is about the limit on the stock wrx bov. Most people with pump street tunes aren't going to be exceeding that.

  15. #6314
    Registered User Wrinkleboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Posts
    3,331
    the best way i can describe the sound is it sounds just like a tire that got a big nail in it and is losing air quickly. hissssssssssssssssss. i got under the car when it was running today and it is very noticeable around the downpipe, and is slightly quieter over the turbo. not sure if things are resonating inside the exhaust or it is indeed the point of origin.
    i think i mentioned it before but my txs downpipe to racepipe flange has a small leak. i got a new gasket today and am going to try to put it on tomorrow. i doubt this is causing the sound because i have never heard an exhaust leak like that before, but either way it'll fix an exhaust leak that i had so thats a good thing either way.
    i also got an uppipe-turbo gasket that i will put on when i have some more time. when i install that i'll be pulling the turbo out so i'll have a chance to redo all of the connections and hopefully fix whatever is wrong.
    boooo to cars.
    bryan

    SD GR:
    the coolant line? i disconnected the coolant line running to the turbo when i pulled it off, but i put it back on.

    -2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

    www.TriStateTuners.com

  16. #6315
    Registered User 04wrx4keeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Central NY/ Western PA (for school)
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Sorry, I just had to point out that little thing. It's kind of like a doctor not knowing which side of the body the heart is on, or a teacher not knowing how to spell school. Just somewhat odd if that's going to be your chosen trade, and somewhat funny if you didn't just go into it.

    http://features.evolutionm.net/article/machvcorner/29 Supporting
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468038 Supporting

    Again we're back to Benefits = 0 on a mildly modded car.
    Would you care to list the negatives again that you listed above and count those up?

    I'm grasping at anything because you're not reading anything. Go argue with Dan @ MachV after this if you'd like. He actually does this for a living and I'm sure he's spent more time under the hoods of cars than "parroting" what he found in his text books online.

    I'm done with this, I've proven my point and provided documents from professionals proving that ATM BOV's are nothing but a stupid noisemakers and have more negatives than positives.

    Again if the original poster wants an unbiased source(I admitttedly hate show off valves) he can search on his own and draw his own conclusion. I know what he'll find.

    Also, If he wants to save money and not have any of the downsides of a BOV he can sell it and get a kazoo.You don't even have to hit the gas pedal for it to make noise. I'm sure they even sell JDM ones for the uber import fanatics.

    Thank god for the Ignore feature & Best of luck with shcooal.
    For one thing I dont know where you're getting this point that I somehow listed all sorts of negatives toward my own argument in my posts. I also never said that BOV's do anything positive other than make noise, its simply up to what someone likes. If you dont like BOV's THEN DONT PUT ONE ON YOUR CAR.

    Both of the articles you quoted state that there have not been a significant number of problems with Aftermarket BOV's, and that the rich running condition isnt usually harmful, and only list catalytic converter problems IN SEVERE CASES. So yes, I suppose in severe cases you could see some damage. That holds true of just about any modification you do to your car though. In severe cases an aftermarket exhaust could cause problems, modifying your car at all could cause problems. I went almost 40k miles on mine with an upipe cat though, all types of driving conditions and a number of trips to the track and my cat was perfectly fine, as well as a number of people I know with WRX's who have had no problems with them at all, and with an RFL i guess that mine would probably be about the most severe model you could get right?

    Obviously due to your absolutely unfaltering hatred of BOV's I can imagine you have never in your life actually installed on any of your own cars. I actually have personal experience with them as opposed to just sitting my fat ass in front of the computer all day doing searches like some people... as I stated above I have had one for over 50k miles and almost 3 years (much of that time with the stock cat and no problems or visible damage to it at all when it was removed), as well as many friends with turbocharged cars who run them too, and when adjusted properly none of us have run into any issues.

    IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM THAN DONT FING BUY ONE, IM NOT TRYING TO SELL YOU ONE, BUT STOP TELLING US WERE ALL IDIOTS BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY LIKE THE SOUND.

    And as far as the whole doctor not knowing which side of the heart thing, I hardly see how my ability to spell has anything to do with my mechanical aptitude whatsoever. I have been to many shops and never once have I or anyone else ever had to write a report out that was crucial to the matanance or reparis being done. I'm done with this argument . Its ignorant closed minded people who think they know everyting like you that are the reason I rarely post on these boards anymore, have fun spreading your doomsaying, I hope someday you actually find that stick in your ass so you can lighten up a little bit.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •