"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 42
Page 42 of 788 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292142542 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got the GFB which is "preset" for the WRX, with same results as twinz...lag reduction when you need it ...

I got the GFB which is "preset" for the WRX, with same results as twinz...lag reduction when you need it and no super loud fart noises every time i THINK about taking my foot off the gas.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I figured out how it all goes I think. Seems to be working good although its not as loud as I would have liked. But the top middle screw which adjusts the spring is still in slightly. I think if I were to take it out it would be at the most it can go. Anyone see any reason against taking that top middle screw out?

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

If you want loud you should go for the HKS SSQV BOV...I know...I know...it's 100% atmosphere and 50/50 is better and blah...blah...blah...who cares. It's sounds soooo bad ass.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

The APS has an adjusting screw I am just wondering if it max's out at 50/50. Does the adjusting screw allow more air to pass to atmosphere or does it vent more air back through to the turbo. Basiclly with the adjusting screw I am guessing it can either go from 50/50 or to 100/0 where 100 goes to atmosphere, or it does 0/100 where it all routes back to the intake, one or the other. Just wondering what the screw does? sorry, not really the best phrased question.

My Mods

: : J-Lovin Moderator: : PhreeZe's Avatar
    Is the APS/COBB BOV loud? I want my too be loud.

Jason

Have you tried e-mailing Cobb Tuning? I bet they can answer all your APS questions...here's their e-mail address: sales@cobbtuning.com
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

It should have shipped from cobb with instructions so definitely call them. the middle hole on the top for the adjusting screw...turn it in until you feel it stop then turn it 1/4 more turn..this should be a good adjustment for stock to 15psi level. Use the supplied nut to lock the bolt down so it wont back out. if you need to adjust it further do it 1/4 turn at a time. For 16.5psi with stage 2 turboxs i have it set one full turn. The side hole on the top is for your vacuum source, two bottom holes for mounting of course. If you go to APS website for a complete description of how it works it may help.

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/blow.htm

This BOV isnt a "noisemaker" it is primarliy a recirc and you adjust at what point you want it to blow off under full boost..its not going to blow off if you sit there and rev the engine..only will blow to atmosphere under user specified load. Try the above adjustment settings to start out with.
    Last edited by twinz; 08-16-2002 at 06:26 AM.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

Originally posted by PhreeZe
    Is the APS/COBB BOV loud? I want my too be loud.

Jason
    No it isnt loud. wrong unit to buy if you want a noisemaker.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

HELP, Major Problem

Ok yesterday I installed my APS BOV and everything was working great, drove it about 30 miles, no problems. This morning on my way to work it started hesitating, almost like a fuel cut, but at any rpm I was going at. I checked all the hoses and everything and they all seem to be connected. I know some people reported problems with BOV's but I have not heard of any with the APS. So I was able to get it to work today trying to keep the rpms below 2k. Also when idle it would fluctuate the rpms +- 200 rpms, and the boost guage would fluctuate about .01 mpa.

This is really bad I don't know if I would be able to make it home tonight from work. Anyone who has any suggestions please let me know. Also for reference, i had my uppipe installed on tuesday profesonally. I have not had any problems with that however, and I put about 200 miles on it before I put the BOV on.

My Mods

My APS/Cobb Tuning BOV didn't come with instructions either, but it's not to hard to figure out. Typically, the tighter you make the adj bolt, the louder it'll get.

-Jim

Sound like the BOV is loose. Make sure everything is tight and that you have no vacuum leaks. The APS BOV should cause no drivability issues.

-Jim

I will check it some more when it cools down some. I really hope its just a hose is loose and not something major. I visually inspected it on the side of the road and everything looked connected, but maybe I missed something. I wish I had my stock bov at work to put back on to see if that would fix anything.

Also I talked to Cobb, they said if you screw in the adjusting screw all the way it will do 100% back to the intake. And if you take the screw out then its 50/50.

I am really freaking out over this.

My Mods

Jim, did you use the red gasket that it came with along with the black stuff that was left on after stock. I just wonder if maybe their is a leak there? I also listened under the hood while it was idle, and I don't know if it was the engine or a leak but I could hear what sounded like air blowing, not a whisle type sound but almost, but very faint.

My Mods

That sounds like what happened to me last night. I had installed my Forge BOV, but found out the spring in it was too weak. Luckily I had brought my stock BOV with me and put it back on at work. I thought "Hmm... why not vent the stocker to atmosphere and leave the plug in the return line'.

OMG.

Bad decision.

Thing bucked and hesitated worse than when I have the A/C on. It really bit. I don't know how this relates to your problem, but I can tell anyone who wants to vent the stock BOV to atmosphere, don't do it. Maybe an ECU reset would help, but it wasn't very fun driving home.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

So you got a lot of stuttering when you were venting to atmosphere. How far did you drive it? I will have to drive mine about 16 miles in some traffic, will probably take 35-45 min to get home. I might leave a little early to avoid traffic.

Also another piece to my story, on the way to work this morning the problem seemed to first start when I hit a high rpm ~5k. It wasn't so bad the first time I hit it. Then I did it again to see if it was still there and thats when the stuttering stayed no matter what rpm I was at. So maybe from hitting the high rpm something came loose. And on the way I adjusted the BOV from about half way in to taking the screw out, nothing seemed to help.
    Last edited by KanosWRX; 08-16-2002 at 07:33 AM.

My Mods