"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 419
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks guys. I was told by the previous owner that it is at a 50/50 ratio but without any instructions ...

Thanks guys. I was told by the previous owner that it is at a 50/50 ratio but without any instructions I have no way to confirm it. I haven't taken a good look at it yet but from the sounds of it it should be a breeze. I'll have to takle this after work today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sometimes it's a pita to get the return hose on. If you pick up the IC it makes like easier. Take out the two 12mm bolts holding down the IC, take out the 3 10mm bolts holding the lines on the front of the IC, loose the back(towards the back of the car) hose clamp on the front of the IC, the wiggle the IC till you have some room to play with the BOV. Then take out the two 12mm bolts on the BOV and replace with the stocker. The stocker worked great until about 19psi for me. I switched to an APS dual vent and have zero troubles holding a little more than that now.
    an 05 wrx wagon with a few mods and an 06 G35 sedan with none.

From what I understood that seems to be the case for the stock unit. I'm not planning on running a larger turbo or anything too extreme. It's already got an uppipe and TBE from the original owner. Unfortunatley it also has a CAI (K&N Typhoon) but he didn't have the stock airbox so I'm stuck with it. I did some research though and of all the CAI the typhoon was one of the few that caused the least problems if any, so it's not too bad. I'm thinking about a few more basic boltons and suspension goodies, then I'm going to get it tuned this spring.

Quick question. Is a lightened pulley a bad idea? I read somethings about them doing damage to the engine. But then other people say there is nothing wrong with them since they are not underdriven, they just let the engine rev easier. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    IF it's VTA you'll only need to remove 2 12mm bolts and the plug out of the recirc line. The hardest part will be getting the recirc line back on the stock Bov.
    thats true! I had to use some grease to get it in.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    I got nothing to offer, but I hope your bad luck ends with this problem.
    Let us know how it goes.
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Quote Originally Posted by scotts05
    thats true! I had to use some grease to get it in.

Silicone spray is your friend

Christ almighty. This is not an attack on anybody, I was just looking to fix my cel and came across this, and I'm bored between final exams. study you say? haha never!!!

BrianH- Nobody cares about blowing their uppipe cat into their turbo. Thats why turboxs, forge, blitz, hks, and everybody else sells a boat load of BOVs all day and night. And also very cute kitten, can he/she play with my pit bull? I promise she loves other animals. And about the rice factor, i eat rice every damn day ! ! ! So don't drive a Japanese car and take pride in it while you mock my culture nukka. I don't call your family with mustangs and camaros potatoes do i?

04wrxblahblahblah- I have a VTA BOV too!!! I understand how you want to defend the reliability of BOVs with tooth and nail but please take your own advise and just let it go man. BTW, if you're going to school (probably college) i don't think you are old enough to talk about teenagers like you are some middle aged motorhead that drove Chevelles, Shelbys, and Darts when they first came out.

ya know, i'm just sayin. why the hell are you two arguing when you are both partially right?
    Last edited by imma_stocker; 12-12-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imma_stocker

BrianH- Nobody cares about blowing their uppipe cat into their turbo. Thats why turboxs, forge, blitz, hks, and everybody else sells a boat load of BOVs all day and night. And also very cute kitten, can he/she play with my pit bull? I promise she loves other animals. And about the rice factor, i eat rice every damn day ! ! ! So don't drive a Japanese car and take pride in it while you mock my culture nukka. I don't call your family with mustangs and camaros potatoes do i?
    Sorry for mocking your culture.

BTW you know what nukka is? If you're bothered by me calling stuff rice I would think you would use that slang.

anyways, happy wooshes!

Who said anything about EGT's? I'm talking about the raw fuel coming out of your motor that isn't burnt because it doesn't have enough air to burn. IT then gets into your cat and heats up there causing it to break up.

As far as cold starts running rich, well you're calling people ignorant and wrong again. I've had widebands on every performance car that I've owned and can tell you with 100% certaninty that once again you're wrong. If at idle it was running that rich we'd be seeing a whole lot more popped motors due to cylinders washing.
    Theres a reason that your wideband 02 sensor would never read this rich running condition durring starting and warm-up, its actually a pretty simple one if you think about it to, 02 sensors dont read fuel, they can only sense the AIR in the exhaust gas. All cars use cold-start enrichment and a warm up mode runs richer than when warmed up. A large amount of the fuel injected condenses on the cold cylender walls, liquid fuel doesnt combust, so alot more fuel has to be added to ensure that the car has enough ATOMIZED fuel to completely combust the air in the cylender. So since the majority of the extra fuel is in liquid form it doesnt really take part completely in the combustion prosses, the amount of fuel that is atomized combines with the air in the cylender and combusts, what air is left over is sent out the exhaust and this is what your 02 reads, the liquid fuel that didnt combust gets blown out with it, this your 02 doesnt read. Its the same reason that carborated cars had to use a choke, its just now we do it with a computer adjusting pulse-width rather than a choke valve.

As far as unburnt fuel igniting in the cats, your still missing one key component, if your running so rich that means that pretty much all the air in the combustion chamber has been burnt away, and that means that its not there to combust the fuel in the converter, you need both air and fuel to cause combustion, if you only have fuel then its not going to happen no matter how much you send into the converter you still have to have oxygen to ignite it. For that matter have you ever seen a car with an air pump? you know what that does? It pumps atmospheric air into the exhaust manifold to combust unburnt hydrocarbon before it exits the cat to improve emissions, but of course every car with an airpump has hollow cats in no time at all right? .

Are you talking about your ignorant parroting? Just because it's for a short period of time doesn't mean it wont do damage. Hell look at the OL/CL problems that were with the 04's initially. That was a quick change in AFR's and that sure caused its fair share of problems. IF you're running 12:x afr's on pump under load you've got larger issues, but it will knock you down from the mid 11's to 9's or even to the 10's depending on at what point you lift & the air going through the motor.

You're talking about sarcastic wise assed teenagers armed with information right? Not opinion, because that's what I'm talking about. You shouldn't be questioning anyone's intelligence but your own.
    Even dropping from mid 11:1 AFR's to 9 or 10's isnt going to cause any major problems other than crappy running conditions and fouled plugs. Your not going to hurt anything major by running rich. For one thing the majority of turbocharged dangers arise from temperatures that are out of control causing detonation. And that quick rich running condition is going to be over by the time you get back on the gas, since the fuel will have already been expelled out of the cylender and therefor isnt a factor anymore.

Besides, rich AFR's quench the cylender causing the combustion temperature to drop (this is why they run richer to prevent detonation), unless you drop so far in AFR's that you cause a rich missfire (like below 8:1), and even then all your really going to do is foul your plugs with the unburnt fuel till they cant spark anymore.

SO now we've gone from talking about performance to audio?

I'm educated & informed of the pluses(hahahaha) and minuses affiliated with BOV's. Sorry if the truth rains on your little parade, but it's reality backed with facts other than "well my butt dyno makes me think it's ok".

Happy ricing & misinformation spreading to you.
    The remark about audio was whats called an ANALOGY. If you spend $200 on a set of subs, they dont help performance, they dont make your car faster, no you buy them because you like the way they sound, the same reason I bought my blow-off valve (and speakers too). If you dont want a BOV then dont buy one, but my information is backed by fact, I'm not getting this information from hours of internet surfing, its coming out of my textbooks, so yea its factual information. My problem is with all this crap that gets circled around these board over and over again until you get to a point where someone cant even ask a simple question about his new BOV without getting flamed to bits by a bunch of idiots and bombarded with false worries about how his parts are going to blow his car to pieces.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

This is good.

You're going to school and you've taken all this information from your text books that you've been studying and you can't even spell cylinder correctly? Talk about inspiring confidence. . .

cylender

I'm done here, you've already agreed to some of the negatives to owning a show off valve, and they by far outweigh any(none) positives on a mostly stock car.

The kid can search himself and find out whatever he'd like to know. There are plenty of people that have been doing this stuff for a living that have posted the opposite of what you're arguing. I'm not talking about first year students either.

You can believe "internet rumor" which has been stated by professionals time and time again that work in the industry. Or believe the one that's going to school to do this, yet can't spell cylinder.

Pretty cut and dried.

Enjoy your show off valves boys.

a 2 hour break from work let me check over some things...
    without pulling the turbo i cant see the bottom 1/4 of the turbo inlet hose, but the rest of it is on just fine and butted right up as far as it can go, so i assume its just fine. unless there's a hole/crack in it somewhere which is possible since the thing is rubber garbage.
    i checked every bolt in the area except for the one uppipe bolt which is tucked underneath the downpipe, everything is tight.
    also checked every hose that i touched yesterday and everything is fine.
    i put my stock bov back on.
    i checked my wideband bung and my rear 02 sensor. everything was tight.

now for my guesses right now...
    the one thing i did find, is that a gasket that i never touched, the turboxs downpipe to catpipe flange, has a small leak on the upper side that i can feel. i've never heard a hissing exhaust leak before, but i guess its possible.
    another guess is that i got coolant on my uppipe/turbo gasket during the install... i wiped it as clean as i could and reused it. again, never heard a hissing exhaust leak before but its a possibility that this may be the issue.
    another thought... i took the exhaust side off of the turbo to port it, i put it back together using the vband and tightened it well, but who knows, maybe it didnt seal?
    lastly, the lower oil return line... that little wire clamp is there and i think its fine, but its actually sitting slightly below where it used to. i can tell because i can see the indentation from where it was before. i wasnt able to get it any higher and its within a half inch of where it was before.

the sound can be heard by sticking your ear over the turbo, but it does seem to be clearest from the wheel well or if you put your head under the car right behind the wheel. could be the point of origin or it could be the sound resonating through the exhaust.

so there's my update if anyone can gather any more info from this.
    thanks...
    bryan

p.s. i'm already a pro at putting on and taking off this hyperflow tmic. just hate removing my strut bar everytime i do it...

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I Support ClubWRX
    What's weird is that you stated that the sound is constant regardless of whether you are building boost or not. This implies it's not the turbo (and I agree, you can't hear a recirc wastegate leak so it's probably not that either) and it may not be anything on the pressurised side of things in the intake.

Are you sure it's a gas you're hearing and not a liquid? Did you disconnect the coolant line recently?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Want BOV sound without the vent to air

Yes, this is only for fun/bling factor.

Is there anyway to do some mod so that you can hear the ultimately cool pfshshhhhh of a vent-to-atmosphere BOV on a stock WRX **WITHOUT** actually venting to air so you don't screw with the recirculation?

Maybe I need to rig up an MP3 of the "pfshshhh" and make a controller that plays that MP3 through my audio system whenever I let up on the gas pedal?

Or rig up a microphone near the recirc BOV and sound/heat shield it from everything else and mix that into the audio system.

Yes ... this is a STUPID BUT FUN PROJECT.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chimchim
    Yes, this is a STUPID BUT stupid PROJECT.
    Sorry, could not resist.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 12-12-2005 at 04:51 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Is this for real? fake BOV on a turbo car
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.