"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 410

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by BrianH Get a handheld airhorn. 1.) cheaper than a show off valve 2.) causes no rich conditions ...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Get a handheld airhorn.

1.) cheaper than a show off valve
    2.) causes no rich conditions
    3.) is much louder. All the people you usually impress with your show off valve at taco bell or your local highschool parking lot will now hear you blocks away.
    4.) easy install
    5.) you can slip it under your seat and hide it when you're about to get your cock knocked off by someone that spent their money on power mods instead of rice.
    6.) you can hold it upside down and use the c02 to burn your skin.

toot toot
    you mow your lawn so your grass looks nice?! YOUR A RICER!!!
    yyou washed that shirt with the stain?! it was fine! you still coulda worn it! thats it YOUR A RICER!

god man who cares. its there preferance. if i spen 26,000 on a car and like 3,000 on mods id like to to look and sound as best as it could. you act as if i put a "type-r" sticker on my honda accord.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Because every other day some somethingteen year old kid whose parents just bought him a car comes on here and asks the same ****ing question. Why don't you use the search feature and not be like every other ricer.
    we didnt click the dearch button! we asked a repetative question! WERE ALL RICERS AAHHHHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by Junkboxer
    yyou washed that shirt with the stain?! it was fine! you still coulda worn it! thats it YOUR A RICER!

god man who cares. its there preferance. if i spen 26,000 on a car and like 3,000 on mods id like to to look and sound as best as it could. you act as if i put a "type-r" sticker on my honda accord.

I don't mow my lawn, adn the only thing with a stain is the skidmark on my underwear.

You're still a ricer.

My car = go.
    your car =

we didnt click the dearch button! we asked a repetative question! WERE ALL RICERS AAHHHHHH!
    At least you realize it.

This thread is hugely entertaining - TR and Brian are much better at this sort of thing than I am. I bow to your superior ricer hazing ablities

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag
    This thread is hugely entertaining - TR and Brian are much better at this sort of thing than I am. I bow to your superior ricer hazing ablities
    I actually did try explaining it too. I guess it didn't take.

I don't mow my lawn, adn the only thing with a stain is the skidmark on my underwear.

You're still a ricer.

My car = go.
    your car =
    i dont get it, my cars laughing? whats goin on here

...thats it! you made a confusing post! YOUR A RICER!

Speak English you ricer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I actually did try explaining it too. I guess it didn't take.
    It's selective reading Andrew. I find it interesting that he wants to spend $3000 on looks and sound. Performance is obviously of no importance to him. Makes you wonder why he bought a WRX in the first place.

this one sticky on WRXFanatics.com covers 99% of the n00b questions asked.....

Quote Originally Posted by EJ20Legacy at WRXFanatics.com
    Thinking about putting an intake, blow off valve, or boost controller on your WRX? Before posting about it, check this out cuz the WRX isn't every other car out there and a lot of the 'normal' mods don't work the same way on it.

Intakes: The Mass Air Flow sensor (measures the amount of air going into the engine) on the WRX is very sensitive. It is designed and calibrated for the diameter of the stock intake piping, the way it's mounted on the piping, and the distance it is from the turbo inlet. Many of the aftermarket intakes for the WRX did not take this into consideration. Some of them have diameters that differ enough from stock to cause serious problems.

Even the intakes designed properly for use on the WRX rarely cause gains in power. It is generally accepted that the stock intake doesn't start to become a restriction until 300 hp and I personally think it's higher than that. High enough that with the stock turbo it's impossible to make enough power for the intake to become a restriction. With the silencer removed, the intake is pretty darn similar to an open, short-ram style intake, and if you have a properly designed aftermarket intake the tubing is the exact same diameter as stock anyway... so where's the restriction coming from? Many intakes lean out the air/fuel mixture, which can be good for a couple ponies on a car with no tuning. Once tuned though for either the stocker or an aftermarket one, I don't think a difference would be seen.

The intake most well-known to cause problems is the AEM (short ram or CAI, doesn't matter). Not only does it cause the MAF reading to be off, but it causes irradic readings that make it IMPOSSIBLE to tune for. No tuner (Vishnu, Cobb, TurboXS, etc) will even touch a car with an AEM intake on it, period. Best bet? Put the money somewhere beneficial!

BOV's: The stock valve is a recirculation valve. All of the air it bypasses gets sent right back into the intake and then into the engine. The thing is that it gets sent back into the intake after the MAF sensor so it's not actually measured. The ECU just assumes that it's getting all of that air back into the engine. So when you swap on an aftermarket BOV that vents all of that air into the atmosphere, obviously none of it's going back. However, the ECU doesn't know this so it's still injecting fuel for all of that air. This causes a brief rich condition every time the BOV does its thing. It's not really a big deal, but these are the side effects:

-- slight hesitation while the car burns off that extra fuel. Most people can't even feel this and it depends a lot on your driving style. Certain BOV's are worse than others in this regard, but even the worst one isn't that bad so if you really, really need the psssshh sound you may want to just bit the bullet on this one.
    -- Afterfiring. This one you're going to have if you get an atmospheric valve. That extra fuel is going to burn in your exhaust, and it will cause a popping sound. If you're catless, it's gonna be fairly loud and might get annoying after a while. Some people like it, I found it annoying. If you have cats you may not really notice it, but that means the cats are destroying all of that extra fuel and are going to break down and need replacement sooner than they would otherwise.
    -- Idle problems. This I don't really attribute with a general BOV problem, it's really a problem with a poorly-tuned BOV. However, lots and lots of people have problems with the car's idle when they put an aftermarket valve on so it's gotta be mentioned. Obviously if your car doesn't idle right it's a big problem.

Bottom line is that the stock valve is, by far, the best. The car runs and performs the best with it. It is good up to 18 to 20 psi. If you're running less, you DO NOT need to replace it. Anybody that tells you a BOV is a performance mod on the WRX is wrong. 50/50 and adjustable valves cause less problems than totally atmospheric ones, but the stocker still wins out for performance. It's even semi-noisy if you remove the intake silencer and pop a nicer panel filter like an ITG in there. I can hear mine echo off walls and stuff...

Boost Controllers: Manual or electronic, both can cause serious problems. With the stock boost control system, the car only gives you full boost at full throttle (which is over like 76% or something... ish). With an aftermarket boost controller, you'll get full boost whenever the turbo is capable of it, which includes partial throttle times from like 15% throttle on up. You do a lot of daily driving and highway driving in this range. The problem is with the ECU once again. At partial throttle the car usually sees 7 to 10 psi, or about wastegate pressure. It injects only enough fuel for 7-10 psi. When you pop a boost controller on there it just assumes you're still getting 7-10 psi, but you're getting full boost, which is probably 14.5 to 16.5 depending on where you set it. So you've got the fuel for 7-10 psi but 14.5-16.5 psi of boost! This causes an extremely lean condition because of all that extra air without any extra fuel, EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures) shoot through the roof, and soon a piston melts.

There are a couple ways around this problem. One is to drive your car at under 10% throttle or at full throttle all the time and never drive anywhere in-between. There are plenty of people who do this, but that seems like a huge and annoying sacrifice. You could get a Vishnu EMI adapter (or similar product), which tricks the ECU and makes it safe to run full boost at partial throttle, but it makes the car a bit choppy as the transition between closed and open loop operation is not well defined. Or you could get a very fancy and expensive electronic boost controller that has throttle position input. Basically you tell it not to step in unless your throttle position is over 80% or whatever number you choose. However, these are like $600+++

Now here's the kicker. For under $400 you can have your ECU reflashed. This not only raises boost SAFELY but it changes your ignition timing and fuel curves to fully take advantage of it. Less money, total safety, and more HP because of the additional tuning. Boost isn't everything. Tuning for that boost will truly make your car fly. If you need solid proof: my friend dyno'd his car with identical mods to mine, except he had a boost controller set at 16.5 psi on high setting and I have Cobb Stage 2 tuning. He put down 219 whp on the dyno, and I put down 237. I made 18 more hp at the wheels with slightly less boost and I'm not going to melt a piston like he did after about 5 months of running the boost controller. And his had two settings... 90% of the time he was running it at 14.5 psi, which is stock boost. You don't have to crank it to melt a piston. On top of that, my curves were smoother and my A/F ratio was much, much better controlled.

Turbo Timers: They're cool but you don't technically need it on a WRX. On the rex the turbo is lubricated by the oil and cooled by the coolant. On a lot of cars the oil does both jobs, which is why you leave your engine running afterwards--to keep the oil circulating. That could apply with coolant also, but Subaru actually did something cool here:

You know that coolant resevoir tank that's above the turbo up on the left (passenger) side of the engine? Well the coolant entry to the turbo is below it, and the coolant outlet comes off of the top of it and goes right to that resevoir. Basically, even after the engine is off, if the turbo is hot it will continue to circulate the coolant because the coolant inside of the turbo gets heated above the temp of the rest of the coolant and rises up into that resevoir. When that happens cooler coolant from below the turbo gets sucked up into it and it keeps cycling until the difference in the temperature of the turbo and the coolant isn't very big.

If you take a hard drive and get the turbo really hot and don't drive gently for a couple minutes before parking just chill in the car for a minute and let it idle down. Never a bad idea to let it idle for a minute so some stuff can cool down and things can settle and whatnot, but 99% of the time there's no reason for the car to idle at all.

Not getting one will save you $120+... get intercooler hoses or put it towards a downpipe or something instead.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Get a handheld airhorn.

1.) cheaper than a show off valve
    2.) causes no rich conditions
    3.) is much louder. All the people you usually impress with your show off valve at taco bell or your local highschool parking lot will now hear you blocks away.
    4.) easy install
    5.) you can slip it under your seat and hide it when you're about to get your cock knocked off by someone that spent their money on power mods instead of rice.
    6.) you can hold it upside down and use the c02 to burn your skin.

toot toot

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

thats the best post ive seen in a while brian.

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by testes1010
    this one sticky on WRXFanatics.com covers 99% of the n00b questions asked.....
    Thanks for the info man!

And for everyone else--sometimes it is hard to find the info you want on here! I search all the time but sometimes my questions are more specific than that.

BTW, I like the sound of the BOV, but I wouldn't do it because of performance loss. I am also painting my car pink. Looks like I'm a ricer.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Thanks for the info man!

And for everyone else--sometimes it is hard to find the info you want on here! I search all the time but sometimes my questions are more specific than that.

BTW, I like the sound of the BOV, but I wouldn't do it because of performance loss. I am also painting my car pink. Looks like I'm a ricer.
    Ricer

ban

You're It's used when one says "you are."

Example: You're an idiot and your ignorance is amusing.

That is all.