"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 41
Page 41 of 788 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141541 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Question: Installed a Forge BOV this morning (just the BOV with the "L" hose" and the plug in the... return(?) ...

Forge BOV leak?

Question:

Installed a Forge BOV this morning (just the BOV with the "L" hose" and the plug in the... return(?) line) and I'm getting definite leakage on > .05 MPa of boost. It came with shims and another spring and some O-rings. Did I do something wrong? I didn't find anything on a search...

Oh and before flaming for getting an aftermarket BOV on the stock turbo... it was a "present" for my wife... she said "Honey, why don't you get a BOV so it makes that cool noise?" What was I going to say to THAT? NO?!? Hey, when I can get a mod (unless it's just pure rice, and the BOV straddles that line) I GET THAT MOD!!!
    Last edited by gryphon; 08-15-2002 at 10:02 AM.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just get the BLITZ BOV with the mini SUS filter...
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Originally posted by djrez4
    now here's a question.....if all of my boost taps are right there at the blow off (so i can't just diconnect the hose), can i somehow run the hoses so i get 50/50?
    Possibly. You would need to disconnect (and plug) that hose that comes into the BOV to make the OE unit vent to atm. So, it would probably be easier to move your boost taps. Well, in theory I think you could use that line solely as a boost tap. Someone jump in here if I'm wrong.

Not sure exactly how successful you could be in trying to rig up a 50/50, though. Also, the stock BOV setup to vent to atm would probably not be as loud as you might think. The aftermarket units are designed with trumpets specifically to amplify the noise.

-Pace

Thanks for the input...

Thats was my general instint of it being a waste... I just needed someone to tell me that! Thanks!

/z

bump, anyone?
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Midnight Black Pearl

It might have the weaker spring installed by default. Try swapping the springs and see what happens.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

Thanks

Cool thanks man I' will get a Boost guage and attempt to install that as well.

Later

Mike
    2000 Cougar heavily modded!!!
    2002 WRX GFB BOV, AEM short ram,
    JoeP going on soon.
    1998 Eclipse GS AEM SR, UDP,
    Taylor Wires
    1997 Prelude AEM CAI and Taylor Wires

The boost guage is pretty easy to install, just tap the line going into the BOV. Atleast thats what the oem boost guage does. they have some instructions on www.subaruparts.com for installing the stock boost guage. I figure the instructions are pretty much the same execept for getting power for the light.

My BOV also just arrived at home today, once I get off work I will be putting it in, should only take 20 min. I had to take off the OEM BOV when installing the samco intercooler hoses and its really easy to do. Can't wait to hear that PSSHHHH noise.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

bov line

i tapped into the bov line. everything looked normal with the hose. i dont think there are any leakes. i havent really accerlerated hard in first gear i will go now to try it again. in fifth gear the boost goes high when i accelerate. so ill go try now. does everythin else seem normal? thanks ill post later today on first gear.

you "car off" readings, costing readings (in vacuum) seem normal. i get around 9 psi in 1st and second, 13.5 or so in 3rd and fourth, and a hair higher in fifth. i've never hit 14.5 or 14.7 like others say they do.

make sur you're at WOT when you looka t the first gear numbers.

<shrug>

dR

I tried it just to see how it sounded, but I didn't really hear any difference.
    Shane
    Aim Higher Go Navy!
    Platinum Silver 2002 WRX Sedan

Originally posted by Verdugo

How exactly do you set it to do that, anyway? You two are the only two I know who talk about the APC BOV...
    go here for a description of how it is designed and works:
    http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/blow.htm

..I looked at most every one of the other BOV's available and decided based on their design and its functioning that the APS unit was what I was looking for. The only time I want it to blow off to atmosphere is when I am at full boost/full throttle/high rpms and lift off for a quick gear change..under this condition it does allow the turbo to keep spooled up much better than the stock recirc did. And with it set like this I get excellent driveability and mileage and no detrimental performance issues either.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

APS BOV install directions?

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to put this thing together. It has 4 screw holes, two on the side near the base, one right above the other, then two on the top, one in the center and one near the edge. It came with two screws, one with a hose conection the other just a screw. It also has one nut and one hose clamp.

Attached is a picture showing the 4 holes.

Any help appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apsbov.jpg  

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Before i start disconnecting stuff or lines, which one is the vent? Is it the big metal one on the bottom or the rubber hose on the right/top of the BOV? thanks, i'm going to try it sometime and i'll report what happens.
    autobahn storming scooby

wait before you do anything....see if you can get some instructions on how to replace BOV's. You have to take off the intercooler to get to everything and its a tight fit....and that hose clamp on the return hose is a real pain if you don't have a hose clamp tool. the recirc hose is on the bottom of the BOV...the intake is metal to metal (bolted to the intercooler) and the output is to a hose under the valve that you need to remove the intercooler to get to. there's VERY little room in there to work with so I don't know if you'll be able to rig something up.

I have the GFB (Go Fast Bits) valve. its not the loudest (especially running 50/50) but I've tried other louder valves and they're just annoying after a while.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself