"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 40
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 789 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140540 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Subaru says its designed for up to 23 psi....that probably means that 23 psi is about 80% of capacity. GFB's ...

Subaru says its designed for up to 23 psi....that probably means that 23 psi is about 80% of capacity.

GFB's BOV is rated for 100 PSI

...and if you figure out how to run 100 PSI on a Subaru motor....ANY Subaru motor I'll buy you a Krispy Kreme donut.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by twinz
    I agree with Jim, I have had no drivability issues at all using the APS dual vent BOV. it works very very well. I have it set so it only blows off to atmosphere under hard full throttle/full boost shifts..otherwise it just recirculates like the stock BOV. It definitely does help keep the turbo spooled up between shifts, keeps the engine right in the power range.
    How exactly do you set it to do that, anyway? You two are the only two I know who talk about the APC BOV...
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

the body of the valve turns which pre-tensions the spring that holds the valve closed...so you can vary the pressure at which the valve opens...I don't know what happens if you set it too stiff and the valve can't open...you might get some compressor surge (really really bad).
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    It still sounds like a push type. I have an HKS and I've had GReddy in the past, not to speak of other people's cars I've dealt with. I would first check to make sure none of your boost gauge lines are opening when you hit x boost. It very well could be the BOV. I don't believe 20 psi for the stocker.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Blarg--

What brand of 50/50 BOV would you suggest. I really like the sound of the HKS SSQV BOV, but that's 100% atmosphere. Anything 50/50 out there sound like it?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Boost Gauge Prob, I Think!

anyway, i know this isse has been brought up many times before but i need some peace of mind and clarification. i finally installed my boost gauge and bov today. and my readings seem kind of strange. i have a phantom mechanical boost gauge (PSI). when my car is off its at 0. at idle it reads 16 in vacuum area. in first when i accelerate it makes it to 5 psi. second makes it to 8-10 psi. 3rd makes 14psi. 4th makes 10psi and 5th ?????. anyway when i am crusing not accelerating the car is in the vacuum area around 15. is this normal? should i contact someone about returning my gauge. waht are othere peoples readings? please answer me and all help is appreciated. thanks

The Go Fast Bits BOV is 50/50 and I believe that APS have a dual vent BOV also (ask Platinum about it).

-Pace

Re: Boost Gauge Prob, I Think!

Originally posted by italianwrx
    anyway, i know this isse has been brought up many times before but i need some peace of mind and clarification. i finally installed my boost gauge and bov today. and my readings seem kind of strange. i have a phantom mechanical boost gauge (PSI). when my car is off its at 0. at idle it reads 16 in vacuum area. in first when i accelerate it makes it to 5 psi. second makes it to 8-10 psi. 3rd makes 14psi. 4th makes 10psi and 5th ?????. anyway when i am crusing not accelerating the car is in the vacuum area around 15. is this normal? should i contact someone about returning my gauge. waht are othere peoples readings? please answer me and all help is appreciated. thanks
    Sounds a little odd. You should be reaching at least 10psi in first gear, and you should be achieving the highest boost in 5th gear. Where did you tap for the boost signal??

-Pace

Originally posted by WizardBlackWRX

I don't believe 20 psi for the stocker.
    Could you clarify that last statement?

-Pace

now here's a question.....if all of my boost taps are right there at the blow off (so i can't just diconnect the hose), can i somehow run the hoses so i get 50/50?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

BOV... worth it?

Is it worth it to get an aftermarket bov? I heard that it reduces milage by 10-30 miles

/z

Re: BOV... worth it?

Originally posted by zperkins
    Is it worth it to get an aftermarket bov? I heard that it reduces milage by 10-30 miles

/z
    Crap and more crap....you only get a BOV for the noise (albeit unless you run HIGHT boost - I mean major mods)

Just a waste of $
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Save your money for something worthwhile.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

God
    It's fun and I like mine but if you're on a budget don't change it yet unless the sound is worth it to you. No need and doesn't give you any HP.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

I Support ClubWRX
    BOV does nothing for performance for your car. It is just a noise maker. Makes your car sound like a diesel truck with the "psssshhhhttttt." There are very many people that by a BOV and sell it the next month. I had one for a couple of weeks and sold it. Plus if your running your BOV at 100% atmosphere, your car will run very rich, and you will get awful gas mileage. Just my$.02. There are better and cheaper things to buy for your car that improves horsepower. Get a MBC and a boost gauge for the same price of a BOV.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.