"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 396

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; FHI makes a BOV?...

FHI makes a BOV?
    Mods - Perrin Uppipe, Crucial Racing Downpipe, SPT/Bosal Catback, Samco IC Hoses, Cobb Stage 2, K&N Panel, GPMoto Intake Elbow.

www.negativesource.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxdave
    FHI makes a BOV?
    Yep.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Oh, I just have thier crappy old BPV.
    Mods - Perrin Uppipe, Crucial Racing Downpipe, SPT/Bosal Catback, Samco IC Hoses, Cobb Stage 2, K&N Panel, GPMoto Intake Elbow.

www.negativesource.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxdave
    Oh, I just have thier crappy old BPV.
    You are really missing out. My FHI 20 psi BOV holds it all together perfectly way up to about 20 pounds per square inch of turbocharged atmospheric combustion chamber pressure. The best part? It is Subaru warranty friendly the dealership always overlooks it! Get one before they stop making them!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Hey I have the exact same question as the original post. What I'm curios about is since mostly everybody prefers to stay with the factory BOV, how long can it be kept until it can't handle the power and starts opening by itself. Basically what's the highest amount of boost that it can hold. And if that boost is ever achieved, what kind of BOV would everyone suggest (type and brand)? Also what is an FHI. I'm sure that's probly a stupid question but it sounds like a great alternative to aftermarket BOV's. Thanks.

FHI = Five Horny Imigrants

I'm trading my BOV in for a "stock look" FHI when I install the UTEC.
    Sonic Yellow Snow Cone
    My Mods
    "Is that your dog sled?" "I'm standing next to it."
    Quote from TFATF-4 Anchorage Drift

It won't hold over 20-21 psi after you "crush" it... I switched to an APS twin vent (50/50) and it's held up to 2 bar (29 psi) on multiple occasions.

^ I completely agree, crushed my cap during tuning because it wouldn't hold 21psi....tuned @ 19psi....then bought a APS DV BPV, easily holds my 21psi tune now...

the APS dual vent isn't 50/50...it recirc's all the time until you reach high boost, which I have set at ~18psi then it will partially vent to atmosphere....
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    The BOV Subaru installed is the best, quietest choice of all. Why? It just is.

If you are "TheDean" surely you would have some influence over the campus police.
    "it just is" really isnt a good reason why...

but i rather get a BOV that isnt quiet.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DEMENTED
    "it just is" really isnt a good reason why...

but i rather get a BOV that isnt quiet.
    This answer has been posted hundreds of times. The stock bypass valve is plumbed back into the intake. Your ECU is calibrated for that extra air being plumbed back into the intake. When you use a 100% atmospheric BOV, you aren't putting that air back into the intake. The ECU doesn't know that, and still adjusts the fuel trim for the air that should be going back into the intake. Your car will stumble in between shifts, and possibly idle like isht. It's just not worth the money, effort, or lack of performance to sound cool. I have found that homeless people can be hired relatively cheap to sit in the passenger seat and go "PPPSSSSHHHHTTT" in between shifts. You will still impress the ladies, you will still hear the sound, you will spend less money, your car will still run very well, and the homeless guy may get some too.

first off, a BOV isn't a "mod" so to say. It's becoming more and more common that people in my area buy a BOV for their first turbo car. Why? Cause it gives that uber hawt "pshhhhh" sound.

Look at the downsides though. A factory turbocharged car's BOV is sufficient for stock. Putting on a bigger BOV that releases more into the atmosphere would change the way the car runs, correct? Correct. Picture this, you have X ammount of air going into the TB. Now you have much less air going into the throttle body. With the stock map for your turbo car not handling this decrese in air, your ECU is now thinking there is a "problem". Results will vary with the turbo cars i've worked on in the past, so i'll leave it to the subaru experts to answer this 100% effectively, but this is the just of what will happen.

True for Suby's but since you seem to be generalizing, you must realize this is only for MAF equipped cars. MAP based cars are fine w/ BOV's. I've added BOV's to both my TGP's because A) they don't have anything from the factory, B) They are MAP based, and C) 1 of them is a 5 speed, so, Lotsa shifting. More needed on it than the auto. Most auto cars (elder anyway.) don't use any kind of BOV or BPV. (GN, TGP, etc.)
    Sonic Yellow Snow Cone
    My Mods
    "Is that your dog sled?" "I'm standing next to it."
    Quote from TFATF-4 Anchorage Drift

Quote Originally Posted by god910
    True for Suby's but since you seem to be generalizing, you must realize this is only for MAF equipped cars. MAP based cars are fine w/ BOV's. I've added BOV's to both my TGP's because A) they don't have anything from the factory, B) They are MAP based, and C) 1 of them is a 5 speed, so, Lotsa shifting. More needed on it than the auto. Most auto cars (elder anyway.) don't use any kind of BOV or BPV. (GN, TGP, etc.)
    yes, i should have clarified.

on another note...my buddy is a savage and doesn't have a BOV for his home made setup on his crx. he must like compressor surge or something...

I thought I was going to have an issue with the rich condition between shifts associated with a BOV, but I don't so....

btw I have the HKS SSqBOV, works great, not all that loud. Some are mega loud, and get really annoying from what I hear.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

Exclamation Stock bov or hks bov ??

i have a question i just bought a 2005 wrx sti 4 months ago. This car is truly amazing, but i still dont know a lot about it. i recently installed a hks bov on it and when i drove it, it felt a lot slower so i brought the reciruatation kit for it. But, i was wondering what is better the stock bov on the sti or the hks? I also have a air fuel ratio gauge and says iam running very rich with the hks. So, please reply.

- thanks