"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 393
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by zapman chicks dig 'em Pssht! Pssht!...

Quote Originally Posted by zapman
    chicks dig 'em
    Pssht! Pssht!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rally me
    Ahh the sound is too BADA$$. you must admit?
    yeah i love the sound, but i'm not gonna screw up my baby just cause a i want a sweet sound.......

Blow-off hose

check out www.gofastbits.com they have video with sound clips. GFBs bov is fully adjustable. thats what i have. its sounds louder than the HKS vented at 100%. you can also run it stock (closed 100%) c'mon i know you want one everyones doing it

So why is the Cobb CAI better then K&N or any other? they all LOOK pretty much the same to me.

I have to agree about the sound not being as important as the function. The stock BOV works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by geetarboy
    So why is the Cobb CAI better then K&N or any other? they all LOOK pretty much the same to me.

I have to agree about the sound not being as important as the function. The stock BOV works fine for me.
    Cobb doesn't make a cold air intake. It's a short ram (pod) intake. As for why it's better, basically because it's engineered to not really do anything. Most aftermarket intakes lean out the air/fuel ratio, potentially leading to detonation. Cobb's was engineered specifically to not affect the mass air flow sensor.

The K&N is probably just a fluke. I seriously doubt they spent a lot of time trying to make it safe, but it's one of the better ones, anyway, at least according to quite a few people, including several tuners (e.g. Cobb).

probably the best intake you can do for a lightly moddified wrx is a panel filter and hack the intake silencer. if you are going to spend all the money on the intake, don't and just get yourself some samco ic hoses.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

ill tell you.. that little clamp can die!!!! its small ans can probly kill someone.. i thought i broke my indcex finger when that thing went off, not to mention cutting almosty every other finger... any ways... i believe the hose that connects to the BOV goes in the stock hose.. the longer one is a spare...
    12.1 @ 117

Quote Originally Posted by stick-shift
    yeah i love the sound, but i'm not gonna screw up my baby just cause a i want a sweet sound.......
    I really love the sound as well.. so I might get one... just for the hell of it (too much gran turismo does this to people) thinkin about getting the Blitz DD Blow off...

might just swap it back and forth with the stock bpv....

how hard is it to change your bpv / bov... and how long does it take?
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

The longer one I think is for different applications (fmic?) I believe, and i think the hose goes to the same spot as the stock one. My HKS SSBOV is a damn tight fit and started to rattle against the hood, but a little dremel tool love, and a ball-pin hammer took care of that real nice. It sure is gonna look silly when I get a FMIC, I guess that'll just give me a reason to get a CF hood.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

bov adapter

I did a search but could only find something about adapting a TXS RFL. I need an adapter that will alow me to use the stock STi BOV on a connection normally used for a TXS style bov. Where could I get something liek this? Or would I have to have it custom made at a shop? thanks
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

noone heard of this?
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

bov question

i have a stock bpv on my sti but everytime i shift gears it lags to get back into boost, can anyone suggest a good bov? prefably 50/50 but theres always hks ssqv 100%atmosphere but i dont really want that.

i found this forge one
    http://www.kingpinperformance.com/st...roducts_id=215
    Fadi....
    • 04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    • 05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

APS dual vent....silent....full recirc except when under full boost...then it partially discharges atmospheric...

I'm very happy with mine...

pm boostkits for a good price..
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

you can buy a TXS bov adaptor (normally needed for their bov to adapt to the TMIC)....just flip it over, weld the o-flange to the fmic piping then mount the stock bpv to the tmic-flange....REX NFX is going to do this to his TXS FMiC...
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

To answer the question as to how long it takes to replace one, there are a few variables to that. FIrst obviously would be your mechanical ability. Second, what type of BOV have you purchased and are about ready to install? Third, is the pressure adjustable for the type of turbo you are running etc? To be honest the installation itself should not take much longer than 45minutes to an hour. This is of course granted that you are removing the stock IC to make the install a whole heck of a lot easier.

I have been waiting to have the oportunity to give some feedback regarding BOVs because of my recent experience. I am stage 4 running a VF30, and I was on the stock BOV for the entire time until last week. The reason that I switched was because of a nasty leak that I had from the stocker. It was actually causing a spike in my EGTs when I let off after a WOT run. I could only figure that this spike in my EGTs was caused by the BOV releasing the pressure back into the intake of the car, and the car not being able to compensate for the extra air. This also started after I installed my K&N Typhoon, which has also been a hot topic with the WRX. Yes I am aware that the intake by itself will not add a bunch of power, although admittedly I wanted it mostly for the sound. The new BOV on the other hand did a couple of things for me. FIrst of all I can hold boost much better now, at 20.5PSI. Also, the spike in EGTs has gone away completely. The reason that I am posting this information is beacuse I wanted to post a POSITIVE response regarding BOVs before the thread gets too negative. As far as the intake goes, there was a slight improvement in spool time, and it has not caused any ill effects on my car since the install over a month ago.

I'm done now...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.