"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 392
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So its probably better if i keep my stock one on? I want as much power as possible....

So its probably better if i keep my stock one on? I want as much power as possible.
    12.1 @ 117

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Until you are into serious power and boost, the stocker should do just fine. The geral consensus about a BOV on an otehrwise stock WRX is that it is useless. I had a Forge BOV on for abotu a week. It got to annoying but when I would get off the throttle than back on it relatively quickly, I would get a slight buck. If you like it and dont have problems, keep it. It may cause the car to idle crappy or buck between shifts or lifting off the throttle.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

bov

hello, +1 on the stock BOV for power. my exhaust is all HKS TBE and up-pipe. i didn't use HKS upon replacing my BOV because its not adjustable. i have it at 50% most of the time sounds good. when i set it too 100% its sounds BADA$$! however at the track i close it and run it stock. i have noticed that it will stumble and hesitate when open all the way (100%). this is really noticed when its hot out. lol

Running over-rich will also descrease the life of your catalytic converters.

I've read stories of people having their first cat break up and destroy their turbo. I'm curious if any of those people were running an atmospheric BOV.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisSnT
    Until you are into serious power and boost, the stocker should do just fine. The geral consensus about a BOV on an otehrwise stock WRX is that it is useless. I had a Forge BOV on for abotu a week. It got to annoying but when I would get off the throttle than back on it relatively quickly, I would get a slight buck. If you like it and dont have problems, keep it. It may cause the car to idle crappy or buck between shifts or lifting off the throttle.
    You will gain no power with an aftermarket BOV, just an amusing noise (to some anyway). The stock BOV is good for about 20 psi - more than you are likely to throw at it.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by rally me
    hello, +1 on the stock BOV for power. my exhaust is all HKS TBE and up-pipe. i didn't use HKS upon replacing my BOV because its not adjustable. i have it at 50% most of the time sounds good. when i set it too 100% its sounds BADA$$! however at the track i close it and run it stock. i have noticed that it will stumble and hesitate when open all the way (100%). this is really noticed when its hot out. lol
    yeah, that's why i'm not sure wether or not to replace the stock BOV. I heard that it really messes up the car, like the things mentioned above /\ /\. Is there anyway to magnify the sound of the stock BOV?? I love the sound, but not the concequences, of the aftermarket BOV.

Get rid of the intake silencer.

You could just do the delete, or you could get the elbow (which apparently isn't as loud), or you could get an intake. Most intakes have their own set of problems, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg
    Get rid of the intake silencer.

You could just do the delete, or you could get the elbow (which apparently isn't as loud), or you could get an intake. Most intakes have their own set of problems, though.
    well i was thinking of getting one of the Blitz SUS intake system, it's not a cold air one, so i don't have to worry about water getting into the engine, what else could go wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by stick-shift
    well i was thinking of getting one of the Blitz SUS intake system, it's not a cold air one, so i don't have to worry about water getting into the engine, what else could go wrong??
    Getting water in the engine is seriously not a major concern with a cold air intake, unless you're getting into pretty deep water. A real concern is the fact that aftermarket intakes screw with the mass air flow sensor, causing the engine to run lean (dangerously so, in some cases).

Getting water in the engine is seriously not a major concern with a cold air intake, unless you're getting into pretty deep water. A real concern is the fact that aftermarket intakes screw with the mass air flow sensor, causing the engine to run lean (dangerously so, in some cases).
    man, there a lot of risks in doing anything to you're car isn't there, maybe i should just leave it stock. Maybe i'll just get a catback exhaust system and lowering springs...........

Well, the Cobb intake is supposed to be the best. (They claim it's fully compatible.) The next best might be APS. (They claim the same thing.) Then the K&N.

If you want safe/simple-ish mods, you could get an AccessPort ($600), UTEC (~$600 used, $1000 new), or other engine management, an uppipe (from ~$115 to $250 new), and/or a downpipe (from ~$200 to $600 new).

There's a ton of info about good starting mods on the forums.

P.S. Yes, a catback and lowering spring are both perfectly safe, assuming it's done correctly, of course. A catback won't really do much for performance, though.

Blow-off hose

Ahh the sound is too BADA$$. you must admit?

off topic:)

Quote Originally Posted by rally me
    Ahh the sound is too BADA$$. you must admit?
    Not really. I can make the Pssht Pssht sound all by myself if I really want. I don't see the point, though.

I'm not one for sounds, though. I think intentionally loud exhausts are stupid, too.

Not really. I can make the Pssht Pssht sound all by myself if I really want. I don't see the point, though.

I'm not one for sounds, though.

chicks dig 'em
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.