"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 39
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 790 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139539 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Where do you get this Joe P MBC from?...

Where do you get this Joe P MBC from?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by thechickencow
    www.boostcontroller.com
    Thanks
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I'm happily JoeP'd!

You'll probably hear some hysteria-induced accounts of disintegrated uppipe catalysts causing catastrophic failure of your turbine. Caused supposedly by high-boost part-throttle induced EGTs created by the MBC.

I've never actually spoken to anyone who has personal experience with this, or who has seen it first-hand on another vehicle. Go figure. I think it can be classified as 'Urban Myth'.

-Pace

Can someone post a sound wave?
    Shane
    Aim Higher Go Navy!
    Platinum Silver 2002 WRX Sedan

Question Anyone have a BOV Install???

Just wondering I don't have the BOV yet but I will be ordering it this week and I was wondering does it come with good instructions and has anyone installed them before. I'm sure someone has. I'm also ordering the Joe P MBC. How do you guys tell where the boost psi is at? I'm assuming I have to buy a guage for it correct?

Thanks
    Mike
    2000 Cougar heavily modded!!!
    2002 WRX GFB BOV, AEM short ram,
    JoeP going on soon.
    1998 Eclipse GS AEM SR, UDP,
    Taylor Wires
    1997 Prelude AEM CAI and Taylor Wires

Stock bypass valve?

Okay, I've spent 2 hours searching (here and i-club) and the results have been inconclusive. I have tried posting on i-club and no answers, so I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to help me here.

So here's my question;

How much boost is the stock bpv good for? I've heard anywhere from 17psi to 20psi. But that's by word of mouth, not actual testing. I'm currently boosting 18.5 psi on my pe1818f and plan on taking it up to 20psi w/race gas at the track. The stocker seems to be sh*ting out on me, my max boost is erratic at times...sometimes it'll hit 18.5 in 3rd and stay steady, other times it'll hit 18.5 and immediately drop to 16. (Does this mean the stocker is leaking)? I sold my txs rfl recently due to driveability issues (stuttering between shifts and on/off throttle) but never had problems with the boost holding. I've heard the HKS ss bov is the best due to it's pull type design. Should I take the plunge and get the hks or is there a better bov or should I try and stay with stock to see what happens?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-James-
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

Good ole CEL (MBC)

the CEL came on today after i decided it was ok to increase the boost a little. Had it open in 4th on the way to work and hit the fuel cut. Pulled into work, recycled the engine 4 or 5 times, and it dissappeared. Time to return it to where it was. If anyone is unsure of which joe P they want to get, get the old one since, its easier to adjust when the joe P is hot and also its easier to know the angles at which it was pointing when you are looking for exact 1/4 and 1/8 turns.

-c
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I recommend the APS/Cobb Tuning adjustable BOV. I've had mine for a long time and I love it. I'm sure it handles A LOT of boost too!

-Jim

If you buy it new, chances are the BOV will come with instructions. I have a TurboXS type H and it was a quick, painless install.

Looks like you have a GFB BOV there. If I could do it again that is the one I would've got. My bov only vents to atmosphere and is unable to feed any of the air back to the return hose.

You have to get a boost gauge to see your boost.

I agree with Jim, I have had no drivability issues at all using the APS dual vent BOV. it works very very well. I have it set so it only blows off to atmosphere under hard full throttle/full boost shifts..otherwise it just recirculates like the stock BOV. It definitely does help keep the turbo spooled up between shifts, keeps the engine right in the power range.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

I myself wouldnt go with the stock bypass valve if I was boosting more than 20psi...
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Stock BOV to full atmosphere

This is probably a really dumb question. I searched about this and i never heard this mentioned before so... My friend and i were debating getting a BOV and he asked me why i didn't just i just unbolt the connector that leads back into the intake and covered it and left the BOV, would this work? Obviously i'm just looking for the sound, i know all 100% atmosphere BOV's make you run rich, but since it really wouldn't matter which one it is i don't care. Anyway would this work? or am i a dumb*ss for thinking this?
    autobahn storming scooby

yup, it works. sounds like any other 100% atm. BOV. just remember to plug the return pipe or you'll be sucking unfiltered air into the intake. problem is the WRX doesn't run all that great with 100% atm. valves. if you REALLY want the sound and don't mind losing a little motor stability, it works like any other aftermarket 100% BOV without the price tag...but 50/50 valves work MUCH better and don't have any of the negative characteristics. I'm sure you could fabricate some kind of a splitter for the stock valve that would work...nut space in there is pretty tight.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.