"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 382
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the stock BOV is 100% recirculating. it makes 0 noise. If you want to hear the turbo spooling more either ...

the stock BOV is 100% recirculating. it makes 0 noise.

If you want to hear the turbo spooling more either do the "snorkus" mod, or go Stage 2 w/ a catless UP and DP. you'll hear the whistle and spool loud.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    When I was bone stock and had the windows down and would drive the car around I could somewhat faintly here the stock turbo (with the snorkus hacked).
    Once going to stage 2, you cant stop hearing the turbo spool, what a great noise.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

i love my ssq
    Why do burnouts when you can do DONUTS!!!

yeah i got the turbo xs rfl and i just went stage 2 today. Im about to put in the stock bov because i have so much backfiring. Its really starting to piss me off

I Support ClubWRX
    You were hitting boost in stop and go traffic? I wish our traffic was that lite...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

u know the sad thing is.... they are both rite..... i didnt meen to come off the way i did about the azz whole thing but, it is compresser surge and it is bad for your turbo... long term wise, but if you get your car and bov tuned rite it shouldnt do that-- thats what i ment about the azz whole comment thing. people will tell you to sell it and put on your stock one when all you want to here is that you can keep it and some how fix the problem
    whats a signature?

Yea...i just wanted to know because im taking my car for a ecutek flash tune and just wanted to know if it would effect my performance...

if "fluttering" is what i think you mean it is normal driving with an atmospheric BOV. I have a TXS RFL bov, and when you get on the car, and drive fast the BOV sounds great, but if you drive it normal and shift like city traffic it flutters (low boost pressure). Sounds like crap in my opinion. So if you gas your car all the time then an aftermarket BOV is for you. If your like me and dont gas the car until you have to, there is more enjoyment in the stock BOV. I wont put the atomospheric in until i have an upgraded IC and Turbo, so in the closet it will sit collecting dust.
    www.kiowapilots.com

Where is the "fluttering" comming from. If its comming out of the BOV, and its only when your just driving around (as in not accelerating hard) then its not a big deal, if the sound bothers you, you should be able to adjust it just a little and make it go away (I cant remember how to adjust the HKS). As long as the sound is comming from the bov itself then its just from low pressure or volume of air behind it when your not going WOT or at least getting the turbo spooled much.

If the fluttering sound your talking about is quieter then the bov hiss, and sounds like it is comming from the glovebox when your in the drivers seat (ie your hearing the turbo itself), then its your turbo surging. In this case you deffinatly want to have it adjusted, or find a different bov, because the surge can be damaging to the turbo. Mine has only made this sound with my bov adjusted really stiff (where it would only go off under reletively harder acceleration) while I was testing different settings when I first got it.

I have a TXS-RFL and mine almost never flutters at all unless I adjust it too tight, it just goes off shorter and more quietly when im driving normal. If I shift at like 2500 rpms it will flutter a little bit, but anything above that its a full hiss, just softer. I have just enough spacers in it to where it wont open at idle, or re-open when returning to idle right after reving, and as long as I keep it adjusted like this (my spring is deffinatly losing pressure over time) I have had no problems with drivability or stalling, and I've got 65k miles on it now, with about 55k of them using the atmospheric bov.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Over 19lbs of boost = new BOV is necessary for tuning.

Under 19lbs = kazoo/punch in the balls
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

hey check the hose that comes off the BOV(dont know wut its actually called). Mine was pinched/bent in half and it made a reallly weird sounds everytime i shifted...just my 2 cents. i dont know much

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    I have a TXS-RFL and mine almost never flutters at all unless I adjust it too tight, it just goes off shorter and more quietly when im driving normal. If I shift at like 2500 rpms it will flutter a little bit, but anything above that its a full hiss, just softer. I have just enough spacers in it to where it wont open at idle, or re-open when returning to idle right after reving, and as long as I keep it adjusted like this (my spring is deffinatly losing pressure over time) I have had no problems with drivability or stalling, and I've got 65k miles on it now, with about 55k of them using the atmospheric bov.

how many spacers are you using in your BOV?
    www.kiowapilots.com

i have hks and loving it till this day....
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

Quote Originally Posted by HiCkS
    how many spacers are you using in your BOV?
    I've had to change it a few times depending on my setup, and just over time. As I've been driving with the bov in the spring has lost tension and I've had to add more too, so the number I would use would probably be different than someone else. But to figure out how many to use this is what I did:

from under the hood rev the car with the throttle cable (or have a friend rev it from inside) and watch the piston in the bov. You should not see it open when you idle, also when you rev the engine and make it go off, watch it right after it closes, if the piston (in the bov) moves again after it closes add another washer. Keed doing this until you have put just enough in so that it doesnt re-open after reving it, or open at all durring idle. Thats how I adjust mine, and I check it every now and then because, like I said, my spring has gotten looser and when this happends the car will sometimes shudder and stall and slow speeds, but I just add another washer or two and it works fine.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Question about stock BOV

I have heard this from many audi turbo owners. There is a hose that you can remove on the stock BOV that will give the same sound off of that of an aftermarket BOV just not as loud. Is this a fact and if so which hose are they talking about and can it be performed on the WRX applications? I am not going to do this, i was just wondering

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.