"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 376
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Having the right tool for the job makes life easier (as it is still a tight fit under the intercooler)...

tan
    Having the right tool for the job makes life easier (as it is still a tight fit under the intercooler)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hose clamp tool.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

mmm bought used, no instructions... if i had to guess what that tool was i'd say its something to perform abortions with. i have 2 left over tubes.. one has a niple style "thingy" on the end of it and the other has a small plastic Y pipe.

STi 18G BOV?

I have a 2005 STi with an 18G on it. Question is, should I get a bov for it or just stick with the factory one...

Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi
    I have a 2005 STi with an 18G on it. Question is, should I get a bov for it or just stick with the factory one...
    its up to you. you don't need one as the 18g is not a big turbo. Do you want teh mad pssshhhht pssssshhhht or what?

Bov Flange

IM buying a type s bov off a friend for my wrx. I know stock works best and the aftermarket will just run like **** etc etc.

I just need to know where to buy a flange that will fit the tmic and the type s. Someone just point me in the right direction id be thankful thanks.

no...if i got any bov itd be the APS dual vent one, that makes no noise what so ever...its as loud as stock...just asking if it was necessary

IIRC, the stock BOV is useful up to approximately 20 PSI. If your boost isn't up to that level yet, you should be fine.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ah ok, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseybacon
    IIRC, the stock BOV is useful up to approximately 20 PSI. If your boost isn't up to that level yet, you should be fine.
    mine failed to hold boost at anything over 18psi...w/ crushed cap it still leaked by over 20psi...

+1 on the APS Dual vent....high quality piece..
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

come on i DARE someone to answer this question... dare.. hear that.. dare

+2 for the APS. that's what i'm running on my 18g.

yea from what I've read it is a quality piece and it doesnt give that annoying psssshhhhtt sound.

If you have a FMIC, get a Tial BOV welded on...take your **** to a muffler shop and have them throw the flange on and use that BOV, it's the best in the business, hands down.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650
    If you have a FMIC, get a Tial BOV welded on...take your **** to a muffler shop and have them throw the flange on and use that BOV, it's the best in the business, hands down.
    Tial is the best in the business, but the 50mm piston diameter is overkill for a lot of applications. That's not a bad thing, but it costs more the more properly sized bov's.

FWIW there's already a tial bov sitting waiting to go on my car
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Anything the size of an 18g or bigger running 21 pounds or more of boost would be well suited for a tial. The thing is not that the piston is that huge, it's that the way the spring is setup in the "out of the box" configuration it holds boost between shifts and is designed to vent after re-applying the throttle...it sounds like it's a delayed venting but it helps keep boost in the system while in between gears...really REALLY REALLY helps in the 1/4 mile and fast street driving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.