"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 37
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 790 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137537 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think HKS is pretty darn good. I'm very satisfied with it....

HKS

I think HKS is pretty darn good.
    I'm very satisfied with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you plan on running high boost, the hks is definately the best. It is designed to hold much higher levels of boost. Any of them will do if you are just in it for the sound though. The hks does have a higher pitched sound than the rest.
    2005 STI
    Obsidian black with gold wheels

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:
    What is the handicapped parking situation at the special olympics?

APS-COBB Blow Off Valve Question

I was just wondering if people who have this could tell me how much louder this is over the stock BOV. Or if you can make a sound file that would be even better.

Thanks
    Bryan

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

It is fully adjustable. It can sound EXACTLY like the stock BOV, or like a mild, solid, WHOOSH with each shift. All with a pair of wrenchs.

-Jim

But it is still 50/50 right, or when you change the sound will it go to 60/40 or 70/30?

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    But it is still 50/50 right, or when you change the sound will it go to 60/40 or 70/30?
    You change where the air is going, but it still recircs initially (it's inherent in the design), but yeah, adjusting it will change the recirc ratio. I think I just invented a new term.

-Jim

Is the OEM BOV good enough?

OK..I have 2002 wagon...so I bought an aftermarket BOV (100% atmosphere)and it makes the cool sound..la-dee da. Now I read these posts about recirculating BOV's and I am now thinking I never should have replaced the OEM BOV. The drawback to the OEM is that it leaks at high boost ? I am running 15psi right now because of a MBC. So what should I do..trash the aftermarket and put the old one back? WIll the OEM hold the boost and protect the turbo as well as the aftermarket one? HELP!?!?

Mine holds just fine.

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    They hold well enough, but when I installed a big FMIC along with an HKS pull type BOV, I left my profecB alone and my target boost went up from 16 to 17 psi.
    Gain from that what you will.

I have yet to see a stock push type BOV that will hold much over 18psi or so without leaking some unless it had serious spring pressure and then it would have slight release issues in low pressure situations.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Question Stock Bypass valve question

Does any one know of a mod you can do to your stock Bypass valve to make it a 50/50 BOV? I have to admit that the whoosh sound is what I want, but I want to maintain part of what the factory had planned for the excess pressure. Or will I have to bite the bullet on this one and just buy a 50/50 BOV?
    Shane
    Aim Higher Go Navy!
    Platinum Silver 2002 WRX Sedan

if you get an cai . and a mbc you can here the woosh . i can here mine w\ the stock bov on
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Someone said you can hear the bypass valve go with the air box mod, but I couldn't really hear it. I want it to be pronounced, yet function somewhat like the factory intended.
    Shane
    Aim Higher Go Navy!

Re: Stock Bypass valve question

Originally posted by AE2RSM
    Does any one know of a mod you can do to your stock Bypass valve to make it a 50/50 BOV? I have to admit that the whoosh sound is what I want, but I want to maintain part of what the factory had planned for the excess pressure. Or will I have to bite the bullet on this one and just buy a 50/50 BOV?
    I also like that sound but would like to keep the dynamics the same as stock.
    There must have been a reason to re-introduce the excess air back into the system. (Maybe to maintain boost? I have no clue)

I'm hoping that I might have come across something that will give us that sound along with maintaining the original dynamics of the bypass valve/BOV.

My brother owns a VW 1.8T and I just happened to look at one of his favorite sites. Low and behold I stumbled on a BOV Made for the WRX and which maintains the stock Subaru Dynamics. I hope this will lead to something.

If anyone is knowledgeable in the BOV department please check out this site and let us know!!!

Info on the GFB brand BOV...click here

The GFB brand WRX Direct Fit Hybrid BOV...click here ...You will need to scroll down a bit to find the WRX section.

The reason why it recirculates is to keep the same amount of air in the system the MAF sensor has already seen, or so I read. If I am wrong, please someone correct me. But I was thinking. If I removed the hose for the recirculation, wouldn't that give me a 100% atmospheric BOV? That being the case If I put a T or Y fitting in there with the open end diameter smaller than the coupled ends wouldn't it act almost like a 50/50BOV? I realize the proportions would probably be off, seeing as how the air is going to take the path of least resistance. Am I way off here or could I be on to something?
    Shane
    Aim Higher Go Navy!

I have heard of people using the Go Fast Bits (GFB) BOV and liking it very well. It is of the 50/50 that I speak of. 50/50 meaning 50% recirculates and 50% vents directly into the atmosphere. i figured this would be the one I would get if I cannot figure out a way to make the stock valve work to my liking!
    Shane
    Aim Higher Go Navy!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.