"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 368

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; did u put enough washers inside your type H? that is a common problem people have if they dont put ...

did u put enough washers inside your type H? that is a common problem people have if they dont put any washers in
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmm, I thought it was the opposite, that it doesn't blow off easily enough. I got it used, with no washers. What are they like? Something I can buy in a hardware store?
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Washers will make it worse. You probably need the spring used on the recirc version of the TXS bov's. Worse case you could clip a couple coils but i wouldnt recommend it. No hope of putting the stock bpv on in the mean time?

Nah, the recirc. inlet on the Perrin inlet hose is plugged. I may try changing my old Worx to 100% atmospheric with their blocking plate for the recirc. outlet.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    I gained 40 hp at the wheels when i ripped off my intercooler and replaced it with a ham sandwich.

dR
    how loud did that ham sandwich sound? where can i find a ham sandwich? will this work with my turbonator?
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

hks ssqv bov install

is it me or does it seem impossible to get the c-clip between the flange and bov even with the circlip pliers?

you didnt install the turkey bov did you?
    oops

everyone i spoke with tell me u need to put the washers in. garrett at world one and a bunch of others. they say use 2-4 washers for WRX's and about 6-7 for the STi. they have done it and had zero issues with it. they tell me that everyone makes the mistake of not putting the washers on the type H BOV.
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

does the internal piston move smoothly and easily?

Quote Originally Posted by IronMedic
    everyone i spoke with tell me u need to put the washers in. garrett at world one and a bunch of others. they say use 2-4 washers for WRX's and about 6-7 for the STi. they have done it and had zero issues with it. they tell me that everyone makes the mistake of not putting the washers on the type H BOV.
    keep in mind they said for a WRX, and an STi, he has an aftermarket turbo wich will probably make a bit of a difference. If its surging than putting washers in will only make it worse, as the reason it would surge is because the spring tension is too high, and the washers increase spring tension. I would say either clip the spring a little(not the best idea) or give TXS an email or a call and see what they would recomend, they may even have a lighter spring for you.
    Cobb Stage 2.5 VF-34 + uppipe
    Best ET so far - 13.1@103 with a 1.81 60'

Hmm, I'll try lubing the piston tonight at the meet in Mission Hill. I also may clip the spring, as TXS hasn't gotten back to me yet. If I screw it up, I can always put the Worx back on.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

oem bov broken

my stock blow off valve leaks like crazy so its time for a new one, no i will not go oem, yes i want to be a ricer..... so what blow off valve do yall suggest?

i was thinking hks ssqv always loved it. thought?mods are in sig
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

This is just to clarify...
    Ironmedic: people increase the number of washers to get rid of the fluttering noise from the BOV itself, to be able to hold higher boost, and to help with possible idle issues.
    What mcbain is referring to is a fluttering noise from the turbocharger itself which is caused by air trying to go back through the turbo because it was not vented/recirculated. If this happens frequently or with a good deal of pressure the turbo can be severely damaged. If he were to add anymore washers it could prove to be even more detrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji HM
    If this happens frequently or with a good deal of pressure the turbo can be severely damaged.
    This is starting to bug me out! Maybe I'm just hearing things, but I swear the turbo is sounding different when I let off the gas, and the car feels laggier. It went on the dyno on Wednesday, and the lag seems to be in my head. I actually had 6 more hp, and it was a lot hotter. I'm just worried the bearings are suffering. I tried to get the BOV open last night, but it was on too tight. Maybe it will come off easier in the morning.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

my type h fluttered at partial boost with washers in place, are you postive that you are hearing the turbo surging and that its not just the nature of the bov to make that sound? i think you should try to put some washers in to see if it makes a difference. just go to a hardware store and see what fits decently well in there, i've even seen people use quarters.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com