"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 365

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have never done it ( not yet). this guy is a reputable member of clubWRX who moved on to ...

i have never done it ( not yet). this guy is a reputable member of clubWRX who moved on to other cars. i prefer to keep his name quiet so he doesnt get any flames. he told me he used 2 washers on his BOV spring. he also told me that most people use 3-4 but 2 worked fine for him. a guy at a local performance shop does the same thing but uses 10? LOL! he says it works great for him so whatever works on his race car (its a track car only).
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX
    With stock BPV: Air gets metered by MAF, certain amount of fuel is added, BPV recircualtes air into intake, everything is fine.
    With an atmospheric blow off valve: Everything happens the same, except the air gets vented into the atmosphere, and there is too much fuel and not enough air. This means you run rich into shifts and when the throttle is quickly let off under boost. I hear it also takes longer to build boost after you shift since the air doesn't keep the turbo spooling. I'm not sure about that, and some people disagree with it.
    Close but not all the way there. A BOV is used to decrease turbo lag. As you said the stock BOV recircualtes the air from the turbo into the intake system. Many people also say that some of the built up pressure gets thrown back to the turbo when you shift or let off the gas causing the turbo to stop spinning which means when you get on the gas again you have no boost coming from the turbo and in turn run into turbo lag. With an aftermarket BOV all the built up pressure is released when you let off the gas and it alows the turbo to keep spinning which leads to much less trubo lag...But it is true that by replacing the stock BOV you will run into full/air mixture. It can lead to the car running rich. If you are looking to do a BOV I would also look into getting some sort of Air/Fuel control system so you can correct the problem an aftermarket BOV can create.

What BOV is this?

What BOV is this in the video?
    Click Here

I believe that is a txs rfl. That is the world one sti.

yeah i believe it is the RFL-H BOV. that is the one they used in their RFL-Ti exhaust clip

Quote Originally Posted by Lancenig
    Close but not all the way there. A BOV is used to decrease turbo lag. As you said the stock BOV recircualtes the air from the turbo into the intake system. Many people also say that some of the built up pressure gets thrown back to the turbo when you shift or let off the gas causing the turbo to stop spinning which means when you get on the gas again you have no boost coming from the turbo and in turn run into turbo lag. With an aftermarket BOV all the built up pressure is released when you let off the gas and it alows the turbo to keep spinning which leads to much less trubo lag...But it is true that by replacing the stock BOV you will run into full/air mixture. It can lead to the car running rich. If you are looking to do a BOV I would also look into getting some sort of Air/Fuel control system so you can correct the problem an aftermarket BOV can create.

wouldnt a UTEC do the corrections?

It sounds pretty good...does anyone know about the Worx BOV...i heard its one of the best, and i heard a clip once, and it sounded sweet. Im gonna need a new one when i upgrade my turbo next spring, im trying to plan out what im gonna get now...any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by IronMedic
    wouldnt a UTEC do the corrections?

or anyother EM in that matter? would be intresting to know

Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    Is this "shimming" for most bov's?? this thing is coming in the mail this week anyways. I'll give it a shot. Not like I'm throwing the stock one away. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Also, which pipe should I get first? Up or down? does it make an immediate difference??
    Thanks again.
    well from what i've read if you are going to run a bov your most major concern is that your up-pipe cat is going to start breaking up and sending parts of it into your turbo, so a catless up-pipe would be smart, you should probally do up/dwn at the same time.

need help with my BOV! its weiiirrdd

ya well everytime my BOV goes off it sounds like a horse, is it on too tight? cuz its definatly not too loose, its a Blitz BOV. it should be loud and normal

it sounds like " brrr-rrrr" like a horse.......

any suggestions?

thanks
    -cam

p.s. i know about how BOV's hurt WRX's so thanks anyway. lol

BOV making wierd noises

ya well everytime my BOV goes off it sounds like a horse, is it on too tight? cuz its definatly not too loose, its a Blitz BOV. it should be loud and normal

it sounds like " brrr-rrrr" like a horse.......

any suggestions?

thanks
    -cam

p.s. i know about how BOV's hurt WRX's so thanks anyway. lol

Quote Originally Posted by IronMedic
    yeah i believe it is the RFL-H BOV. that is the one they used in their RFL-Ti exhaust clip

Actaully, that's Ivan's old WRX in the RFL-Ti video, and it was the HKS blow off valve.

goddamn someone help me

well i dont know, but the best thing you could try doing is loosening/ tightening it until it sounds right.
    i tried.
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

it sure didnt sound like my HKS SSQV. but it sounds like this guy knows what he is talking about.