"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 364
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sell it or return it if you can once it gets to you....

Sell it or return it if you can once it gets to you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yep Id send it back too. I would dump that intake too. Save it till you are more modded. Stock isnt too good.

I don't actually understand what a blow off valve does and/or why it is useless or even bad. I know that it makes excess noise, but how and why is this bad for power delivery overall?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxamateur01
    I don't actually understand what a blow off valve does and/or why it is useless or even bad. I know that it makes excess noise, but how and why is this bad for power delivery overall?
    its your car, do what you want. if you beleive your car runs fine with it, then just use it. and if for some reason it doesnt work right, recheck your work.

a few things off of ebay have been some great buy parts. id like a review.

the intake wont do anything bad to your car so dont worry about it. i am running a perrin short ram and it is not causing a single problem with my car.

as for the BOV, give it a try.. you might like it or get lucky with it! life is too short to not try things
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxamateur01
    The atmospheric Blow Off Valves are the ones known to have problems. Why?

With stock BPV: Air gets metered by MAF, certain amount of fuel is added, BPV recircualtes air into intake, everything is fine.
    With an atmospheric blow off valve: Everything happens the same, except the air gets vented into the atmosphere, and there is too much fuel and not enough air. This means you run rich into shifts and when the throttle is quickly let off under boost. I hear it also takes longer to build boost after you shift since the air doesn't keep the turbo spooling. I'm not sure about that, and some people disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX
    The atmospheric Blow Off Valves are the ones known to have problems. Why?

With stock BPV: Air gets metered by MAF, certain amount of fuel is added, BPV recircualtes air into intake, everything is fine.
    With an atmospheric blow off valve: Everything happens the same, except the air gets vented into the atmosphere, and there is too much fuel and not enough air. This means you run rich into shifts and when the throttle is quickly let off under boost. I hear it also takes longer to build boost after you shift since the air doesn't keep the turbo spooling. I'm not sure about that, and some people disagree with it.

i was thinking of the HKS BV is it atmospheric or not?

i ran a bov on my car for a few months, the major difference was i would loose boost very fast and never really hit peak boost, i also noticed a small backfire between shifts, and no power past 5000rpm. i got rid of the bov and aem intake and everything is normal car runs better than ever. you can run these parts if you want you probally won't do any damage to your car but it might not run to full it's potiential. if you are going to use them, make sure you have a boost gauge and learn how to read it, thats how i found out the parts wern't helping any. good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCamel
    i was thinking of the HKS BV is it atmospheric or not?
    The HKS blow off valve is 100% atmospheric. But you can get a recirculation kit. The HKS is one of the blow off valves that usually causes less problems.

I have a GFB and out of the 3 BOVs i've run it is the best.

Arrow WTB: Greddy Type S BOV

hey guys, im lookn for a greddy type s bov kit for my 04 rex. lemme know.

also i need the recir. hose with the kit. unless it uses the stock one.
    Last edited by platinum04wrx; 07-24-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IHRTWRX
    Yep Id send it back too. I would dump that intake too. Save it till you are more modded. Stock isnt too good.

Why do you think I should remove that intake? I noticed that it holds boost a lot better than stock. My car came with the boost gauge and before the intake it would reach full boost and the needle on the guage would bounce back a little. Now it stays once I reach full boost. Maybe it's my imagination but I think it helped. I also had the cat back installed the same day....... Gotta love the sound of that boxer at work....... Anyways, what should my next mod be?? I joined this forum cause I know you guys have tried and researched parts as well as compared notes.

you will loose a little boost i think all cars hit peak boost then drop off alittle, the better performance you are seeing is probally coming from the exhaust not the intake, i ran a aem for a while and saw no noticiable ill effects but i took it off just to be safe, because i thought the same thing about the bov, it seemed to run fine but it wasn't. it's up to you, you can run the bov just make sure it is not hindering your performance, you might want to complete you exhaust for your next mods maybe go with a up/dwn pipe then some kind of engine management before using an intake and bov, try putting the stock air box back on and removing the silencer maybe a k&n drop in.

i was told that u can add washers to the BOV to help it out so u dont have such problems like most people say. a guy i bought my turboXS stage 2 kit from said that to me and he never ever had an issue with his BOV after shimming the spring
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMedic
    i was told that u can add washers to the BOV to help it out so u dont have such problems like most people say. a guy i bought my turboXS stage 2 kit from said that to me and he never ever had an issue with his BOV after shimming the spring

Is this "shimming" for most bov's?? this thing is coming in the mail this week anyways. I'll give it a shot. Not like I'm throwing the stock one away. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Also, which pipe should I get first? Up or down? does it make an immediate difference??
    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.