"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 351

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thats a sweet setup there, I was thinking it because APS really knows their stuff and I figured they'd make ...

Thats a sweet setup there, I was thinking it because APS really knows their stuff and I figured they'd make a fine piece. I just cant find any sound clips of it anywhere so I didnt know what to go with...Ive heard the WORX tuning one...is it quieter than that...because even the worx i consider to be a little loud.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

We should turn this into a BOV clip post :/....I cant find one of those on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi
    Thats a sweet setup there, I was thinking it because APS really knows their stuff and I figured they'd make a fine piece. I just cant find any sound clips of it anywhere so I didnt know what to go with...Ive heard the WORX tuning one...is it quieter than that...because even the worx i consider to be a little loud.
    APS does know there stuff...& they're proud of it...$$$$...most there stuff I consider overpriced, but the APS DV BOV(from boostkits.com, others charge more) is less than you'd pay for a TurboXS BOV w/ the flange adapter...

the APS DV is barely audible...a sound clip would not pick it up...just a really light "whoosh", under low boost the valve is 100% recirc(no sound)...only during high boost does it partially discharge to atmosphere...

Boostkits, APS DV BOV...

Anthony (boostkits on wrxfanatics.com) is a great guy, IMHO, his service ranks up there with Jerry @ Deadbolt...Also the APS DV comes with new bolts for the "bov to ic" & "recirc elbow to aps bov", new gasket for "bov to ic"...easy to adjust, NO WASHERS like the TXS one...

Jeremy
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Awesome, Im getting the APS DR-725 FMIC with my TD06-H 20G turbo so Ill just make sure I get the FMIC one and not the TMIC

I should also mention that if anyone else is interested that you can get it for the same price of 215 at rallysportdirect.com

Blow Off Valves

There are many different kinds of B.O.V's out there and I was wondering if one of them is more suited for the wrx than the others. Im strictly going for performance wise and not to worried about sound. Is it better to have a B.O.V that vents 100% to the atmosphere, 50/50 ( 50% Atmosphere & 50% Recirculated). I do realize that not a whole lot of performance comes from a B.O.V if any. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

A lot of peple like Worx on here.

Atleast you realize, atleast some what, that you will gain no performance from a BOV whatsoever. Not at lower mod levels anyhow. The stocker does just fine and the money spent on the BOV can be spent elsewhere on actual performance modifications.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

SMR
    A BOV is actually detrimental, as you will run rich during shifts. Stay away. Save the money for EM, thats the best bang for your buck, performance-wise.
    Happy modding.
    Wow, just wow

Quote Originally Posted by SMR
    A BOV is actually detrimental, as you will run rich during shifts. Stay away. Save the money for EM, thats the best bang for your buck, performance-wise.
    Happy modding.
    There is only 3 reasons to install a BOV.
    1) The sound.(most common)
    2) FMIC installed (I haven't heard of anyone using the stock BPV on one but I guess it could be done)
    3) Large turbo installed. (The stock BPV can't handle the psi of larger trubos so a BOV needs to ne installed. Notmally along with the FMIC)

If you want performance look somewhere else cause a BOV will do nothing for you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcangel
    Im strictly going for performance wise and not to worried about sound. I do realize that not a whole lot of performance comes from a B.O.V if any.
    You're contradicting yourself. Don't waste your money, stick with the stock one until you are running a massive turbo with massive boost.

Thought I'd chime in and reiterate what everybody else is saying. Unless you have some type of EM that will let you compensate for a BOV it's not worth it. This has been my personal experience: After removing my BOV and putting the stock BPV back on my gas mileage has increased noticably, the car no longer bogs between shifts, and the frequency of afterfires has been greatly reduced to almost never (which is a plus when you are catless and have a loud exhaust )

for that 150-250 you could get a perrin inlet hose, or an UP, or a DP, or a test pipe, etc... things that will make hp.

just my 2cents..

im just curious. i hear all this about the BOV but does someone have a dyno with one on that shows how rich etc it gets between shifts?

You could probably check the air/fuel ratio diagrams from an in-car engine management system...
    "Let he who wars with life forfeit his own ."

I would save your money on a blow off valve, it's not needed. If you're looking for something to get attention just get an air powered air horn. Much cheaper and gets much more attention.

bov

hello, if you have to get one go with one thats adjustable. Worx and GFB bov's are popular with the subie community. if you have yet to mod you ride i would go with something that makes power. spend you cash on a up-pipe, down-pipe or catback system. an exhaust system will sound pretty cool too and make power (really it helps the engine exhale easier making horsepower). BUT i must admit the sound from my GFB bov set at 100% is BADA$$. hope this helps. peace