"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 35
Page 35 of 788 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135535 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by gifty74 so the smaller tube, on top of the BOV, just shows the actual pressure & vacuum ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by gifty74

so the smaller tube, on top of the BOV, just shows the actual pressure & vacuum in the intake in front of the throttle body (on the side towards the front of the car), and provides a vacuum source that opens the BOV to vent pressure on the opposite side (intercooler side of the throttle body) when the butterfly abruptly closes. this was the part that was confusing me. hopefully i got this right, i love learning more about the wrx...
    Yeah. If you imagine it like a shower valve - the big tube is the water line, the little tube is the knob. Boost in the intake is the water, and vacuum in the manifold is your hand turning the knob.

An engine is an air pump, with explosions being set off inside. If you were to just take a motor and crank it, you'd pump air through. There's be pressure in the exhaust manifold and vacuum in the intake manifold. A normally aspirated car always has vacuum - that's how it pulls air in. Because a turbo engine has an air pump in the intake (the turbo), the vacuum doesn't do much once the throttle is open - there's almost always pressure in the intake from the turbo.

Which brings me to an interesting tangent - I believe that the power assist for the brakes is lost when on boost. The power assist is powered by manifold vacuum and there's a check valve in the line (the inspection of which is part of the 15k mile service) to keep boost out. You'd never really notice it unless you were left foot braking while on the throttle (F1 style!). Even when downshifting, you only need to crack the the throttle to rev match. Or maybe it's powered by boost from another line (hadn't thought of that 'till just now). Interesting to think about though.
    Last edited by GV27; 07-12-2002 at 05:11 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

GFB blow off valve

anyone have this? good or bad? i'm talking about the one that vents 50/50...

"The 50/50 BOV can be installed in two configurations. The first configuration utilizes the stock Recirculation hose and vents 50% of the air into the stock intake pipe and 50% out the Air horn. The second configuration closes the Recirculation hose off and runs 100% of the air out the horn. Running in configuration two provides more sound on blow off but may cause a slight stumble in some situations. "
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

yea, but i was just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and whether its a good buy or not....

Whether or not it's a good buy depends on what you're looking for. If you want noise, it's a good buy. If you want performance, invest in something else. The stock BOV holds plenty of pressure and usuall functions fine.

Russ

Clarifacation on ATM venting BOV and intake

okie guys..i need some help.

im thinking about getting an intake...but my question is...im afraid to run lean. for those that have intakes...on the stock ecu, have u had any problems? i think the ecu will adjust to the increased airflow by proparly adding fuel. I mean..thats what the MAS is made for. but i think im missing something here...would anyone fill me in?

the Same goes for a atm venting bov. i know itll run rich...but only during shifts right, and for a split second.

another question to those who have intakes, with their stock bov...can u hear the bov more, like as in..u can blow off to the car next to you and he will hear it?
    My02 WRB WRX
    Go Hokies!

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    When I had my Blitz SUS installed, it definitely made my car run lean...but that was because I had the wrong pipe in which screwed with the MAF sensor. I have the replacement pipe now but haven't installed it yet since I'd need to get my unichip remapped for it. The stock ECU will adapt to it, but how well is still a mystery to me until I get some kind of ODBII data logging software.

You will DEFINITELY hear your stock BOV though, at least with a short ram like the Blitz SUS. It doesn't even use the fender well so the air's going straight into the inlet pipe. The stock BOV isn't as loud as an aftermarket one, but it's enough to turn heads when driving by people on the street
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Verdugo: could u explain further...as to what a wrong pipe is vs. the correct one
    My02 WRB WRX
    Go Hokies!

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by BoostedAWD
    Verdugo: could u explain further...as to what a wrong pipe is vs. the correct one
    Only on the Blitz SUS intake, there was a recall when they first came out because the pipe that was supplied with it was too large...it was actually meant for the STi, not the standard WRX. So, all you had to do was let your vendor know and they'd order you the correct pipe to replace it. If you buy a Blitz SUS now though, you should be ok, since it only applied to 60-70% of the first generation intakes. Supposedly, it's all fixed now. If you continually get CELs though, I'd ask your vendor for the replacement. If you do a search, I posted pics of the difference between the two pipes
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

i ha ve a rfl thats 100 atmos. i didnt reset my ecu. it appears that if i had reset my ecu i would have had problems. my car sputters when in idle. i might need a grounding mod but it feeels like something else.i would suggest a 50\50
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Originally posted by jt money
    i ha ve a rfl thats 100 atmos. i didnt reset my ecu. it appears that if i had reset my ecu i would have had problems. my car sputters when in idle. i might need a grounding mod but it feeels like something else.i would suggest a 50\50
    i dont quite understand the sputter at idle either due to ur BOV. ur bov is fully closed at idle..therefor all condtions should be normal at this stae. this seems like a ecu problem rather than the bov causing this. in a sense..when atms venting bov's happen...the rich conditions only happen during and between shifts. so at idle..or WOT, Partial throttle...the bov should not be cuasing any hesitation or discrempencies.
    My02 WRB WRX
    Go Hokies!

Originally posted by Verdugo

Only on the Blitz SUS intake, there was a recall when they first came out because the pipe that was supplied with it was too large...it was actually meant for the STi, not the standard WRX. So, all you had to do was let your vendor know and they'd order you the correct pipe to replace it. If you buy a Blitz SUS now though, you should be ok, since it only applied to 60-70% of the first generation intakes. Supposedly, it's all fixed now. If you continually get CELs though, I'd ask your vendor for the replacement. If you do a search, I posted pics of the difference between the two pipes
    So...i other words..i can get the BLitz SUS and not run lean?
    My02 WRB WRX
    Go Hokies!

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX

So...i other words..i can get the BLitz SUS and not run lean?
    You'll run lean because that's how it gets more power out of your engine, by offsetting the A/F ratio and adding more air...you just won't run lean enough to trigger a CEL.

so..bascially...ill run lean..but not enough to adversly affect my car and cause detonation. just like adding an intake to every other turbo dsm.

thanks for the info.

p.s which companys sell recirculated bovs? or bovs that have an option to recirculate.?
    My02 WRB WRX
    Go Hokies!

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    so..bascially...ill run lean..but not enough to adversly affect my car and cause detonation. just like adding an intake to every other turbo dsm.

thanks for the info.

p.s which companys sell recirculated bovs? or bovs that have an option to recirculate.?
    No probem