"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 346

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all... Im thinking of getting a BOV real soon and was wandering which was louder the HKS SSQ or ...

HKS BOV or Greddy?

Hey all...
    Im thinking of getting a BOV real soon and was wandering which was louder the HKS SSQ or the Greedy type S? I love the high pitch sound but all my freinds are trying to get me to get the TurboXS H. Dont know which one im gonna buy..they both sound so cool! Thanks all
    WOT IT!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

HKS SSQV sounds the best!

the greddy type s is a recirculating valve just like the stock bpv
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Do you want sound or performance? Not that BOVS offer much...
    But an HKS will give you more problems than a Greddy 50/50. Greddy wont sound as loud, but you wont find problems associated with those of 100% atmospheric like the HKS.

Isnt there a recirculating kit for the HKS?

yes but their site doesn't list one for the wrx

a buddy of mine has the hks on his wrx and bought the recirc fitting but we looked at it and theres not enough room to put in on
    New England F4
    Syms Racing Team
    13.3 @ 101.43

When ever I read a BOV thread I always see people sayin that you will have problems if you get a BOV, but i never see a thread stating that the BOV caused a problem. What can the BOV do to our cars? Im still new the my WRX and forced induction so im not familiar with everything yet.

People that have had problems wth BOV problems dont be affraid to chime in.

Thanks

here is my understanding from what ive read, im sure someone else will explain it better. All it does is makes you run rich in between shifts, that is, an aftermarket BOV that vents 100% to the atmosphere. One that does 50/50 (recirc/atmosphere) wont be as bad. Basically, the stock system has that air recirculating back into the system and it keeps the turbo spooled, a 100% atmospheric will vent to the atmosphere, but the car still thinks it is recirculating and this will cause you to run rich in between shifts, and the turbo qont stay spooled.

I also think some members just say not to get it because its "rice" to have a BOV that makes sound, which is true for people who do it as a first mod and since it doesnt provide any performacne gain, if anything, slight performance loss.

Bov

To answer BlackedoutREX. I have an hks vta bov on my 05 wrx right now. When i first installed it i didnt notice much of a difference in performance. However now i notice it frequently in many different driving situations. Its tough for me to give up because im not racing everyone everyday but at the same time even for non racing situations it makes the car less fun to drive... for instance now at mid throttle just cruising in any gear u can kind of feel a hiccup, or at wot, like at 4300 theres a very slight hesitation. I put the stock one back on for a day to see if it would run better and it did. I really didnt give a damn, just wanted to find out the truth for myself, I put the hks one back on now. The one other problem i had was the car started to do some erratic idling for a few days. This was like 3 months after bov install, and about 2 weeks after my exhaust install. So i dont know what to attribute that to, but i reset my ecu and everything was fine again.

to BOV or not to BOV

Ok. as many of the regulars know, i am new to this but overheard and actually was told at one point by two people that a BOV can actually hurt more than help anything. They said it can make the engine hesitate in between shifts, make it run rich and not as efficient as it would without the BOV and would be better off doing mods without a bov. needing some input on this one please....

fyi, the bov i have not is an hks if that helps any.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

well what you have heard is correct. an aftermarket 100% atmos. bov might cause all of the things that you have descibed. however there are a couple bovs that dont have many problems. for instance the forge bov, the worx bov, and i heard the the txs rfl bov had a design change and works better then it did before. also alot of people have the hks without problems.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Do a search, I think this topic has been covered over 500 times.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

What does BOV mean? CAI=? Catalytic Augment Injection?

(waiting to get flamed)

p.s.

I know what they mean, i just wanted to feel the reaction of all your feelings after reading that, im sure you are all like 'omg......die"
    sticky-Flo.com
    Proud Member of the "Ran From a Cop and Got Away" Club(x6)
    Mods:Special Tint that adds 45hp to each wheel.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Dog

If you're new to the board, and have a question that you know is answered somewhere already, then post it in the Noob hangout forum. You'll get tons of warm welcomes, and people are less likely to rage at you for your question
    You'll still get to rage at him 'cause I'll just move his posts from NMH to the appropriate technical forum...after advising about stickies and searches of course. Remember, that is what these forums are for. Lets all be nice now....
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

that's insane. mine sounds NOTHING like that, even at different RPMS, etc. maybe it's the type 2. can you really hear the turbo from BEHIND the car? you can hear it spooling at lower RPMS.
    Last edited by BobbyV; 05-23-2005 at 05:41 PM.